PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Software
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2009, 01:35 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Hero
Carrier: Sprint

mercado79 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmercado79 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmercado79 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
ePub Reader?

With the latest Google Books announcement (as well as Sony's), it's looking like the ePub format might win out as the "open standard" to beat. I can't seem to find any software for Windows Mobile that supports it though. Has anyone been able to track one down?

Hit me with some THANKS!
Old 08-27-2009, 01:51 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: TP2 & EVO

BenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuff
Re: ePub Reader?

Nope and from a user viewpoint, with all the viewers out there, is there really a reason for another one? I have used eReader for years with a short PocketMobile period of 2 days. Clutter is bad enough now without another reader installed on my device.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:01 PM
"MODS"
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2/Thunderbolt
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

santod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation level

This one supports ePub to my knowledge and has for a while now.

The Mobipocket Reader for Windows Mobile

Try the Mobipocket eBook Reader on your PocketPC or MS Smartphone device, and enjoy the reading experience. The application is free and then you can buy ebooks 24 hours a day, 7 days a week from your PC, and also from everywhere if you buy from your device. Get below an overview of the main features of this application.

Install it from your device:
Try the OTA (Over The Air) installation: simply go to http://m.mobipocket.com/ with the webbrowser of your device. Then follow the link "Download Mobipocket Reader" and choose "Windows Mobile PocketPC" or "Windows Mobile Smartphone" if you have a MS Smartphone device.

Install it with your desktop PC:
Install the Mobipocket Desktop Reader, run it, and connect your Windows Mobile device with Microsoft ActiveSync. Your device will be automatically recognized by the Mobipocket Desktop Reader, which will guide you through the installation process.

Install it manually:
Find the .cab setup file for manual install here. Transfer this file to your device with ActiveSync or with a memory card, and run it on your device to launch the installation process.

Immersive Reading Experience : Better than paper
Mobipocket eBook Reader lets you customize your reading experience. Find the most adapted font family, and font size for your eyes. Customize margins, line spacing, full text justification, font color, background color... Choose your way of what is the best reading experience. Use the fullscreen mode to take advantage of the whole screen. Turn pages simply with the scrollwheel or by pressing the right arrow key.

My Library : See and find all your ebooks !
All your digital books stored on your local device are listed here. The library view will let you sort and filter all your ebooks (by memory location, author, file size ...) You will also be able to rate your ebooks and assign them to your own reading lists.

Annotations & Highlights : It's Your Book
Mobipocket eBook Reader gives you plenty of tools to annotate, bookmark, highlight, any part of any eBook. Then synchronize and save them all on your PC with the Mobipocket Desktop Reader and send them to a friend or to one of your other device !

Search and Lookup : It's built-in
Lookup any word with the multidictionary search function (Simply select a word and choose lookup in the contextual menu). The lookup feature even does the disinflection and spell correction if needed. Choose between hundreds of reference dictionaries from world renowned publishers in the eBook Store.

Mobipocket eBook Reader 5.2

Install it from your device:
http://m.mobipocket.com/
Install it with your PC:
Mobipocket Desktop Reader
Install it manually:
Download .cab file

~My Ultimate WVGA Wallpapers Collection~
Donations accepted not expected!

This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 08-27-2009, 10:14 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Hero
Threadstarter

mercado79 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmercado79 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmercado79 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Thanks guys. I'll check both of these out.
Old 08-29-2009, 11:42 AM
VW
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

VW is becoming a PPCGeeks regularVW is becoming a PPCGeeks regularVW is becoming a PPCGeeks regularVW is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

There was one called Zulureader for winmo, but it was kind of slow. Mobipocket does not support epub to the best of my knowledge. Hopefully uBook will soon.

Last edited by VW; 08-29-2009 at 11:45 AM.
Old 08-29-2009, 02:25 PM
"MODS"

santod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation level

Here's an online ePub reader with a mobile application.

http://mobile.bookworm.oreilly.com/about/tour/

This quick tour will show you all the major features of Bookworm, from adding your first ebook, to reading and searching it on the web, and taking it on your mobile device. Sign up when you're done.
Step 1: Adding a book ~ Step 2: Reading a book ~
Step 3: Searching your library ~ Step 4: Take your book on the road
Step 1: Adding a book

Select the Add a book link from the upper-right corner of every Bookworm page.

Then click the Browse button.

Your computer will prompt you to select a file to upload. This should be an ebook file that ends in .epub.
Click Add to my library.

Your book is now available!

From the main library screen you can view the list of books you've added, re-sort it by date, title or author, and delete unwanted books.

Step 2: Reading a book

Click on the book's title from your library.

The book will automatically open to the first page.
The left side of the screen shows the book's Table of Contents. The current chapter you're reading will be in large gray type.
From the Table of Contents you can always click to Download your book in its original format, or click on Book information to see details about the book's copyright status, publisher, and other editions available online.
The Book Information page

Publisher, language, copyright and other information supplied with the ebook can be read here.
Bookworm will also automatically look up other editions of this work in Google Book Search.
Moving through a book

Each page of your book will have Next and/or Previous arrows to move between pages. You can also always jump to another part or chapter by clicking on the Table of Contents.
Reading Mode

Using Reading Mode makes the Bookworm experience even better. Find out more.
Step 3: Searching your library

If you've loaded books into your library, you'll see a search box at the top left of most Bookworm pages. Type a word or phrase in the box to find all occurrences of it in your library.
Chapters in your books which contain this term will be displayed on the next page. Your search word or words will be highlighted in bold. Click on the book title to go to the matching chapter.

Step 4: Take your book on the road

Bookworm on your mobile phone

If your phone has access to the web, then you can read your Bookworm books anywhere. Just point your phone browser to http://m.bookworm.oreilly.com/. This version of Bookworm has been specially adapted for small devices.

Last edited by santod; 08-29-2009 at 02:38 PM.
Old 08-29-2009, 02:38 PM
"MODS"

I just thought I'd mention, MobiPocket is listed on the ePub Wiki as available software for ePub reading. Maybe it doesn't really support it, I don't know. I have no ePub books.

Also they posted this over a year ago!

Mobipocket Desktop supports ePub and to be released on the iPhone

June 1st, 2008 Posted in Readers, ePub Blog
At this year’s IDPF Digital Book 2008 conference, we had confirmation from Mobipocket president and CEO, Martin Görner, that Mobipocket Reader Desktop 6.2 is able to import ePub files, with the next version being able to create ePub files. At present the reader does not read ePub files natively, it converts them to the MOBI format before transferring to your device.
One minor issue is that the reader does not create a TOC (Table of Contents) from the toc.nsx file contained in the ePub document. Let’s hope they don’t take too long to fix this.
Also in his talk, Görner announced that by the end of the year, the Mobipocket Reader will be available on the iPhone. I guess with the recent release of the iPhone SDK this should be no surprise, but great news nonetheless.
Acceptance of ePub is growing from strength to strength, with one more reader adding support for the format. Mobipocket Reader now covers many devices including the iPhone (end of 200, Blackberry, Windows Mobile, PDA and a number of dedicated ePaper devices. Once the reader is updated across these devices, ePub support will be opened up to a whole new batch of users.
Old 08-29-2009, 02:50 PM
"MODS"

Last one, I swear!

Ok, it looks as if ePub has recently been added as a supported zip format in uBook

What's new in µBook 2009r1
New 2009 skin
Added .epub as a ZIP format, no handling of meta data yet
Added guess of a good title: If the text filename is small, will check for a parent compressed file that has a longer name and use it also.
Changed touch to show gesture while dragging
Added gesture to turn touch interface silent (up-right-down)
Changed divided page cursor mode (for next and previous page by touching the screen). Now the edges will send to the next page, the center will send back. When touch control is active, the division rectangle will show in the middle of the screen.
Fixed missing Double click bug introduced with touch interface
Fixed crash when clicking during pagination
Fixed issue with cover/copyright/nag that could not be closed without a mouse/stylus before delay
Put iBook tutorial on-line again, on Getting Started page
New Icons/Graphics

To install, just open the downloaded file and follow instructions.
µBook Windows Mobile 6 Professional (Touch Screen)
NEW µBook 2009r1 - Mobile 6 or CAB
NEW µBook 2009r1 - Mobile 6 VGA or CAB
µBook 2008r3c - Mobile 6 or CAB
µBook 2008r3c - Mobile 6 VGA or CAB
µBook Windows Mobile 6 Standard (No Touch Screen)
NEW µBook 2009r1 - Mobile 6 Phone or CAB
µBook 2008r3c - Mobile 6 Phone or CAB
µBook SmartPhones, pre Mobile 6 (No Touch Screen)
NEW µBook 2009r1 - SmartPhone 3+ or CAB
µBook 2008r3c - SmartPhone 3+ or CAB
µBook Pocket PC, 2002-3, Mobile 5 (Touch Screen)
NEW µBook 2009r1 - Pocket PC ARM or CAB (iPaq, Axim, Toshiba, XScale, Mobile 5)
NEW µBook 2009r1 Pocket PC SH3 or CAB (Jornada)
NEW µBook 2009r1 Pocket PC MIPS or CAB (Cassiopeia Pocket PCs)
µBook 2008r3c - Pocket PC ARM or CAB (iPaq, Axim, Toshiba, XScale, Mobile 5)
µBook 2008r3c Pocket PC SH3 or CAB (Jornada)
µBook 2008r3c Pocket PC MIPS or CAB (Cassiopeia Pocket PCs)

http://www.gowerpoint.com/uBook_feat.html
Old 08-29-2009, 07:48 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: PALM 3XE/650 IP 19/2750 HTC 8125/MOGUL/TP/TP2 EVO

gnatsstang is becoming a great contributor

Ubook is by far the best reader for windows mobile. and 15$ is nothing. i have used it since i had an IPAQ, AND its still far and away the most useful of the readers u will find for windows mobile. i guarantee it is the best of its kind. i hate most progs for phone, but this is hands-down more than u could ever hope for. btw. this is the longest response i have had in a year. so take it as u will.

YEAH! That guy! U know. HIM!

Old 08-30-2009, 02:47 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: TP2 & EVO

BenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuff

Ok, though it is $15 and eReader is $0. To be compatible with eReader should it not be about the same cost?

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Software

Tags
ebook