PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Software
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2009, 08:14 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint

Big Redneck3100 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig Redneck3100 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig Redneck3100 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig Redneck3100 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig Redneck3100 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig Redneck3100 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig Redneck3100 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig Redneck3100 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig Redneck3100 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to Big Redneck3100
A good GPS program...

Hey guys, I was wondering if I could get everyones opinion of a very good gps program...I still only have the Sprint/telnav app, and can't update it, and I love the clarity of google maps, but it doesn't track you as you move when you make a route or directions to somewhere...is there a good GPS that won't break the bank??? Help a geek make a choice please...

When life gives you lemons...find someone whos life gave them tequilla and have a party!!!!

If I've helped you in any way, please hit the button, I surely appreciate it!!!!!
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 08-08-2009, 08:28 PM
Suuuper Geeenius
Pocket PC: hTc RhodiumW (Touch Pro2)

horndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to horndoctor
Re: A good GPS program...

Try Bing. I like the way it gives you beeps before turns.
Old 08-08-2009, 08:56 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro, Dell Axim 51v
Carrier: MetroPCS

fdbryant3 is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Google maps should track as you go. I like Bing better. The best in my opinion is AmazeGPS which is free and has actual turn by turn voice prompts.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 08-09-2009, 12:11 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch pro 2
Carrier: verizon

shadyj7 is a n00b

i second amazegps. if you want to pay I like Tom Tom
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:38 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G
Threadstarter

Big Redneck3100 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig Redneck3100 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig Redneck3100 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig Redneck3100 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig Redneck3100 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig Redneck3100 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig Redneck3100 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig Redneck3100 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig Redneck3100 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via Yahoo to Big Redneck3100

I like google maps, but it doesnt track as you go...I havent really tried bing for tracking, but Im gonna today..
Old 08-10-2009, 07:41 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: rooted DroidX/leaked 2.2
Carrier: Verizon

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Redneck3100 View Post
I like google maps, but it doesnt track as you go....
Sure it does (it's always tracked for me).

~John
Old 08-10-2009, 03:43 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro 2

rtandon87 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularrtandon87 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularrtandon87 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularrtandon87 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularrtandon87 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Well, I currently have Google Maps, Bing, AmazeGPS, Garmin Mobile XT and AmazeGPS on my phone. Thought I'll test them all. Nothing comes close to Garmin Mobile XT, in my opinion in terms of real Turn by Turn Navigation. But, I use google maps a lot too so I can actually see the POI's on the maps. (so I can learn my way through this new town better)

There are 3 reasons why I think Garmin Mobile XT 5 is superior to TomTom Navigator 7:
- the interface in Garmin is much nicer.
- You actually have the opton for Google Local Search so that you can find the POI's that are not there in the database.
- It actually shows you subcategories for POIs. For instance, when you go to Restaurants, you see Chinese, American, Pizza, etc. whereas in TomTom it just gives you a list of all restaurants around you.

The main reason why Garmin Mobile XT is superior to AmazeGPS is that you don't have to have live internet connection at all like you do in AmazeGPS. Let's be honest. While going through highways, our internet does not always stay on and thus, with AmazeGPS requiring Internet connection at all times, that's a problem.

There are other reasons too why Garmin Mobile XT is better, but these are what I could think of on top of my head.
Old 08-10-2009, 03:51 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Bold 9650

ekz13 is becoming a great contributor

nav4all is good too
Old 08-10-2009, 04:42 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC HD2
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

darnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuff

I prefer Garmin Mobile XT also.

I've listed a feature by feature comparison with Sprint Navigation and Telenav here.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:21 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: rooted DroidX/leaked 2.2
Carrier: Verizon

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community

I use GarminXT also.

~John

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Software