PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Software
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2008, 03:09 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Most new phones from these carriers except BBs (don't like RIM).
Carrier: Sprint, ATT, Verizon AND T-Mobile. Yes, you read right.

snovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
How to uninstall a .cab flagged as "nouninstall=1"?

I installed a version of Pocket Express (Handmark) on my device, and found out later that in the _setup.xml, nouninstall=1 is flagged. There is no entry in the Settings/System/Remove Programs list, SKTools does not see it, and nothing in Windows/AppMgr.

I manually removed the files and registry entries, but when I try to install a different version of Pocket Express, I get the error "previous version will be uninstalled", and "uninstall unsucessful". New versions don't install properly.

Where is the new version getting the information that a previous version was installed, after I removed all the files? How can I cleanly remove an application that was flagged for no uninstall during installation?

Thanks for any help.
Old 11-30-2008, 03:20 PM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1
Re: How to uninstall a .cab flagged as "nouninstall=1"?

when i get this problem i always miss a file in windows. find it usually with tc. may help ya, just away i fixed my issues. goodluck
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 11-30-2008, 03:49 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

snovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren.wlsn1 View Post
when i get this problem i always miss a file in windows. find it usually with tc. may help ya, just away i fixed my issues. goodluck
What does the newly installing application look for to determine previous installation? Does it actually take inventory of the device for all known files or specific registry entrie(s)?

It would seem to me looking for known files is not a reliable way because of possible duplicate file names with other apps.

I'm curious how an application "know" that there was a previously installed app.

Thanks
Old 11-30-2008, 03:57 PM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1

what phone is this for? if i missed it sorry. i just read that its pocket express your talking about. i also had an issue with it.
Old 11-30-2008, 04:09 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren.wlsn1 View Post
what phone is this for? if i missed it sorry. i just read that its pocket express your talking about. i also had an issue with it.
This is for the Diamond. I found a few VGA versions that work, one from my Touch Pro, as well as downloaded directly from HM after a hard reset.

Found: expressHR_4_26_6_signed.cab
Download from Diamond: Express.cab
TouchPro: PocketExpress_4.26.18.cab

I'm trying to reinstall because the Today plug in is not working. Once I can cleanly uninstall the old, I will modify the .cab to allow for uninstall.

Thanks.
Old 11-30-2008, 06:37 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Htc Vogue
Carrier: Sprint

speedy1979 is becoming a great contributor
Exclamation Re: How to uninstall a .cab flagged as "nouninstall=1"?

If you still have the original .cab file use sktools "Cabs Manager" select the cab file tap action>view content>you'll see a list of files inside the .cab. Now tap action>save list. You now have a .txt (plain text) list of files that will be/were installed delete any you might have missed. Alternatively you could select the "view XML file" under action.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 12-01-2008, 12:38 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

I removed every trace of the application that I can find, including all of the items referenced in the _setup.xml file. I searched the registry for handmark, express, pex*, and other entries. They were removed. \windows\AppMgr intall info was also removed. Still--no joy. The app still somehow claims that it needs to remove the previous version.

Any other ideas?

Thanks.
Old 12-01-2008, 12:52 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro 2

JimSmith94 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularJimSmith94 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularJimSmith94 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularJimSmith94 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularJimSmith94 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Let it remove the previous version. I've heard of other apps that acted like that. If you just want to remove it, let it uninstall the previous version, and then cancel when it asks you where you want to install the new version.
Old 12-01-2008, 01:17 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSmith94 View Post
Let it remove the previous version. I've heard of other apps that acted like that. If you just want to remove it, let it uninstall the previous version, and then cancel when it asks you where you want to install the new version.
That would work for an application that was installed w/o the NoUninstall flag and it shows up in Remove Programs. I have tried to allow it to remove the prevous, but it returns with "removal unsuccessful", and when the installation is complete, it throws an "install unsuccessful" error. In other words, the new application that is trying to uninstall the previous fails at uninstalling. Some versions of Sprite Back have the same problem, forcing them to release a dedicated removal .exe.
Old 12-01-2008, 01:33 AM
WP Heavy Rot Sloth
Pocket PC: Mogul, Touch Pro 1&2, Evo, PhotonQ

shaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

I had a cab once without an uninstall, I ended up modifying the cab to allow uninstall, then simply installed over the top of the original.. then I could uninstall.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Software