PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Software

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2008, 01:29 PM
I love root
Pocket PC: HTC Hero
Carrier: Sprint

dannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
[UPDATED 6/9/09]This iPhone App = This WinMo App

I'm starting this thread from what has resulted from this discussion: http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=45139

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannzeman View Post
...I have a challenge for any Windows Mobile hatin' Apple fanboys out there [challenge extended to anyone thats seen a cool iPhone app, not just the fanboys ]: Find an app you love on the iPhone, post its details and a link here and I bet the community will be able to find a Windows Mobile app thats comparable. I think this will give everyone a better understanding of what is and isn't available for WinMo and maybe get some developers pointed in the right direction. Maybe I should start learning C++/C#...
I'll keep this first post updated with results. If you have a better suggestion for the Windows Mobile Solution than whats listed be sure to let us know!

Here's our first challenge:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherv View Post
I really appreciate the web-apps that interface with popular websites, such as yelp, facebook, and so on. Here's a great one that I'd like to have...:
http://gizmodo.com/5085907/snow-reports
Very simple and elegant.
iPhone App = WinMo App
Snow Reports = Snow Reports WM
iKoto =
Fake Calls = Fake Call
AroundMe = Windows Live Search
Stanza =
Bloomberg = AvantGo Bloomberg Channel
Pandora = Pandora for WM
Lux =
Midomi/Shazam = MusicID
Urbanspoon =
Flycast =
Be Like Lil' Wayne =
Facebook = Facebook
AeroWeather =
Dynolicious = Extreme Apps, RaceChrono
Blocked = RushHour
DinnerSpinner =
Fart app of your choice = Fart Machine, Whoopie Cushion
Air-Horn = Air Horn
HereI Am = GPS Today w/ GeoMail add-on
Falling Balls = Billy - GSen
iwobble/iboobs = hdwobble
Lesson learned don't work on PPC while drinking.

Last edited by dannzeman; 06-09-2009 at 03:01 PM. Reason: added RaceChrono
This post has been thanked 24 times.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:33 PM
unr
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond / HTC Touch

unr knows their stuffunr knows their stuffunr knows their stuffunr knows their stuffunr knows their stuffunr knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to unr
Re: This iPhone App = This WinMo App

I don't really understand your question but if you want to be able to use the websites with special interfaces for iphone like gmail, orb, facebook then you just do this mod.

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=44974

I use it on my Diamond and it works great.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:43 PM
I love root
Threadstarter

dannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by unr View Post
I don't really understand your question but if you want to be able to use the websites with special interfaces for iphone like gmail, orb, facebook then you just do this mod.

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=44974

I use it on my Diamond and it works great.
Its not a question. I created this thread so that if people see an app for the iPhone and would like to have it on their Windows Mobile phone they can post it here and get some help from other members who have lots of experience and knowledge about WinMo apps. While the thread you posted does help with the interface on certain websites it doesn't provide an app that displays similar information as the Snow Reports app that sherv is asking for. I hope this better explains the concept of this thread.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:59 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Samsung Note 4
Carrier: Verizon

syrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributions

I am not sure if we are talking freeware only or just apps for WM that do what the i-app in question does, but Fizzweather gives ski updates:

http://www.mobiletopsoft.com/utiliti...0Weather%202.4

Old 11-20-2008, 02:06 PM
I love root
Threadstarter

I'd give a +1 to free apps. If its not free I'm not gonna complain. At least its out there for WinMo.
Old 11-20-2008, 02:11 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

Existentialism is keeping up the good workExistentialism is keeping up the good work

What would be nicer is if developers came together for something like this. They could make a living off of it and we'd have all the awesome apps we requested.
Old 11-20-2008, 02:19 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Temp TP2 until the 3D

No1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIP
Send a message via MSN to No1ustad

sadly, im not sure donations are enough to give any devs a living...

Mogul -> Vogue -> TP -> TP2 -> Snap -> Evo -> 3D
Old 11-20-2008, 02:38 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Samsung Note 4
Carrier: Verizon

syrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Existentialism View Post
What would be nicer is if developers came together for something like this. They could make a living off of it and we'd have all the awesome apps we requested.
It can always be requested in these forums, XDA has a lot of great developers there as well!! You never know untill you ask!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by No1ustad View Post
sadly, im not sure donations are enough to give any devs a living...
Some do it for the love of accomplishing a goal...look at A_C over at XDA....( http://www.ac-s2.com/ For those not in the knoa)...I am sure he gets a lot of donations, but I am also sure he hasn't quit his day job, he loves what he does with those apps!!!!

P.S. I just covered image viewers, locking mechanism, callerID screen, and MP3 player!!!
Old 11-20-2008, 03:47 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

Existentialism is keeping up the good workExistentialism is keeping up the good work

Im not talking about donations. Im talking about starting a paid service. We get apps, they get money. Everyone is happy. A central app store would definitely help as well. If they can get that gecko app to be less terrible, it could work.
Old 11-20-2008, 04:47 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint Mogul

sherv is becoming a great contributor

Thanks for starting this thread, Dannzeman! I'm gonna go play with my friends' iPhones to see what really is lacking and if it's anything substantial or not.

edit: So with regards to the ski condition app I requested, Fizz Weather looks like a great program but it's really not what I'm looking for...it appears to me that the iPhone apps are mostly very singular in their function and that can help keep them cheap/free. Fizz is $17 whereas the iPhone app is $1 or 2. Fizz does a whole host of weather reporting whereas Ski Condition (or whatever it's called) only reports on snowfall and such. There are already a plethora of weather apps, hell, my Touch Pro has a built-in one which is sufficiently detailed for my needs...

Last edited by sherv; 11-20-2008 at 04:52 PM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Software