PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Software
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2008, 12:50 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint Mogul
Carrier: Sprint

sherv is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Where's all the good stuff like iPhone and Android have?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannzeman View Post
You've also got to realize Apple has all their apps in one convenient to find location - iTunes. If we had every Windows Mobile app in one spot it'd be the same thing for us. Plus, everything Apple does gets so much media hype that if you create one very simple app that does something well a lot of people are going to find out about it.

I have a challenge for any Windows Mobile hatin' Apple fanboys out there: Find an app you love on the iPhone, post its details and a link here and I bet the community will be able to find a Windows Mobile app thats comparable. I think this will give everyone a better understanding of what is and isn't available for WinMo and maybe get some developers pointed in the right direction. Maybe I should start learning C++/C#...
I definitely agree with you on the role of iTunes, that helps tremendously and I think having such a repository for PPC devices would be equally useful...Microsoft is working on it and we have the foundations for that app over at XDA.

I really appreciate the web-apps that interface with popular websites, such as yelp, facebook, and so on. Here's a great one that I'd like to have, in answer to your second paragraph:
http://gizmodo.com/5085907/snow-reports
Very simple and elegant.

That said, these apps really shouldn't be difficult to code, and I'll gladly pay the $1 or $2 that some of them ask for simply for the sake of convenience. While this achieves the same thing as loading up a favorite or bookmark in IE/Opera, all the info is available at-a-glance (something which may not be the case for web pages).

Lastly, one thing that a lot of iphone apps do well is their presentation and interface...but that's mostly aesthetic and up to the developer to implement. With the push to a more "touch" interface (as opposed to tiny buttons to be pressed with a stylus) I think we, as PPC users, will begin to see more.

Old 11-20-2008, 01:30 PM
I love root
Pocket PC: HTC Hero

dannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIP

I started a new thread here: http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread...635#post531635
to start this challenge.
Lesson learned don't work on PPC while drinking.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:41 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch & Touch Pro

MrShoe is a n00b

The Web Apps sould be relativly easy to develope. All they are doing is simplfying the requested info(IMHO since am not a programer). I might just be me, but I would rather bookmark the info than pay someone the money.

On a note on irony. On that website they have a contest givaway for a mobile GPS program for Ski Resorts. What vphone do they display it on? Click here to see
http://www.onthesnow.com/prizes/sign...i%20121508
Old 11-20-2008, 01:49 PM
I love root

dannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrShoe View Post
The Web Apps sould be relativly easy to develope. All they are doing is simplfying the requested info(IMHO since am not a programer). I might just be me, but I would rather bookmark the info than pay someone the money.

On a note on irony. On that website they have a contest givaway for a mobile GPS program for Ski Resorts. What vphone do they display it on? Click here to see
http://www.onthesnow.com/prizes/sign...atSki%20121508
The app is SatSki and has 3 different price points: 39 euro for 2 weeks, 59 euro for seasonal, and 79 euro for unlimited. ah...rip off.
Old 11-26-2008, 05:32 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: diamond
Carrier: telus

meetdave is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannzeman View Post
I have a challenge for any Windows Mobile hatin' Apple fanboys out there: Find an app you love on the iPhone, post its details and a link here and I bet the community will be able to find a Windows Mobile app thats comparable. I think this will give everyone a better understanding of what is and isn't available for WinMo and maybe get some developers pointed in the right direction. Maybe I should start learning C++/C#...
i challenge you

a fake call/(fake sms app too ) that works with touchflo 3D... (not fake call app... by works with touch flow 3D, i mean acts like a real call.. too many people have tf3d phones and you just look like an ***)

OR

the ability to change the patterns of the flashing lights on the d pad for specific notifications... i.e. sms, email, charging, etc.

please.
Old 11-26-2008, 12:15 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Diamond

mike171562 is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisaroz View Post
3 Pages of great iPhone apps:
http://gizmodo.com/tag/app-directory/

i dont see anything there that doesnt have a winmo equivalent.
Old 11-26-2008, 12:19 PM
I love root

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike171562 View Post
i dont see anything there that doesnt have a winmo equivalent.
If you know of some start posting in this thread http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread...635#post531635
Thats the point of starting that new thread, so this one doesn't get so far off topic.
Old 11-26-2008, 12:57 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

akastixx is keeping up the good workakastixx is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbbosu View Post
Not that I would ever get an iPhone, but they do have some cool/useful apps that are strictly licensed for Apple/non WM devices (loopt, simplify, etc).

I know there are a ton of alternatives for most of the iApps, but sometimes they just offer an easier, better GUI than some WM options.
The same could be said for AOL vs. regular "there you go, have at it" dialup back in the day. AOL was great for those who didn't have the know-how, time or patience to strike out on their own and avoid the walled garden.
Old 04-29-2009, 02:58 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch PRO

tonymontana2367 is keeping up the good worktonymontana2367 is keeping up the good worktonymontana2367 is keeping up the good work

nice analogy. winmo needs Koi Pond.
Old 04-29-2009, 10:24 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Kaiser 8925
Carrier: T-Mobile

djquick is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via Yahoo to djquick

OK, let me throw my 2 cents in. If you're really that "dumb-founded" with the iphone, just buy it!! I mean, yeah the iphone is nice, but I think people have taken the iphone hype waaay out of proportion. I used an iphone my friend has for like 5 minutes and I was not impressed at all. I love using a phone that I can customize to my likings and basically, with a ppc, there is unlimited customizing. It never seizes to amaze me that everytime I go to ppcgeeks or xda, there's a new development that someone has taken the time out for to make our lives easier. Granted, i'm a rom flashing junkie, and there are sooo many genius rom cooks out there for WM phones, can you flash an iphone? I'm not trying to knock the iphone, don't get me wrong, I guess my point is, is that you say that ppc's lack programs and games and such and I completely disagree. If anything, I think you can do alot more with a ppc than an iphone, as far as customizing and tweaking. And like I said, if you like the iphone that much, just go buy it; even though I think the iphone is ridiculously priced.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Software