PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Software
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2008, 10:21 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Alltel

bruceo knows their stuffbruceo knows their stuffbruceo knows their stuffbruceo knows their stuffbruceo knows their stuffbruceo knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Opera Mobile 9.5 offical beta (beta1)

I start with 18MB free on my Titan and loading Amazon.com I get out of memory erros after about 60% page load while my memory sits at 6mb available. i did not have this on a 14xx build, but what is going to make me uninstall it is the same thing that made me uninstall the 14xx build. When Opera is installed the titan will only run one app at a time. So anytime you launch an app all other apps will close even if you are not using or launching Opera, so no swithcing betwwen open apps. If you are running beejive or something you want to stay open it is forced to close on any app launch. Might as well have an Iphone if i wanted to single task.....
Old 07-15-2008, 11:13 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Palm Pre
Carrier: Sprint

Mendozilla is just getting started
Send a message via MSN to Mendozilla

I do get the same memory messages, but I just click ok and continue working on it, it does browse faster than previous versions.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:32 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Alltel

bruceo knows their stuffbruceo knows their stuffbruceo knows their stuffbruceo knows their stuffbruceo knows their stuffbruceo knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendozilla View Post
I do get the same memory messages, but I just click ok and continue working on it, it does browse faster than previous versions.
Does installing it still allow you to run multiple programs? I am surprised not to see more outcry on this. Maybe launching Opera kills all other processes, but to change the OS to become a single app running is unacceptable...
Old 07-15-2008, 11:49 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung for the "Moment"

pg2k3 is becoming a great contributor

The main reason it works faster is because this version does not parse anything related to Javascript (AJAX, Flash, Java, ETC). Therefore there is less CPU overhead when going from page to page.
Old 07-16-2008, 01:33 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Evo
Carrier: Sprint EPRP

dicast is keeping up the good workdicast is keeping up the good workdicast is keeping up the good work
Send a message via MSN to dicast

this version keep changing my input from pcm to full keyboard. downgrading
Old 07-16-2008, 01:49 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Palm Pre

Mendozilla is just getting started
Send a message via MSN to Mendozilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceo View Post
Does installing it still allow you to run multiple programs? I am surprised not to see more outcry on this. Maybe launching Opera kills all other processes, but to change the OS to become a single app running is unacceptable...
As you said, it appears to close all other programs, I just had coreplayer and live messanger and it killed both applications....it is unnaceptable.
Old 07-16-2008, 02:59 AM
*SCREEEEEECH*
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2

EtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuff

It takes up a LOT of f'in RAM... what do you expect?!

Comcast EXTREME:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/584166480.png
Old 07-16-2008, 03:05 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond

Draiko is keeping up the good workDraiko is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicast View Post
this version keep changing my input from pcm to full keyboard. downgrading
Waaaaay too annoyed with this keyboard glitch! MAJOR dealbreaker for me. I love Opera Mobile 9.5 , but I'm sticking to build 1522

hope they fix this soon... 1706 seemed quite fast, but no advanced parsing is probably why.

Loved the splash screen, other than that, not too impressed with the new UI. they should've just reskinned 1522 and put that one out as Beta 1.
Old 07-16-2008, 03:08 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Threadstarter

pdx77 knows their stuffpdx77 knows their stuffpdx77 knows their stuffpdx77 knows their stuffpdx77 knows their stuffpdx77 knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draiko View Post
Waaaaay too annoyed with this keyboard glitch! MAJOR dealbreaker for me. I love Opera Mobile 9.5 , but I'm sticking to build 1522

hope they fix this soon... 1706 seemed quite fast, but no advanced parsing is probably why.

Loved the splash screen, other than that, not too impressed with the new UI. they should've just reskinned 1522 and put that one out as Beta 1.
I haven't tried this yet, but I wonder if you can just put the skin files from the older builds in this new one.
Old 07-16-2008, 03:13 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond

Draiko is keeping up the good workDraiko is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdx77 View Post
I haven't tried this yet, but I wonder if you can just put the skin files from the older builds in this new one.
Don't ask me, I'm not going to try anything with this build. Not exactly a good sign when you delay the official beta release of your star program and have it take a huge step back from the leaked pre-release.

Opera, if you guys are reading this, you've really done some AWESOME work on the browser so far, but... dude.. you guys should've kept it another few days to get most of those IMEs working again!

I'm not even going to bother upgrading from 1522 until they get those custom IMEs working again!

Good things I did notice while I fooled around with the beta:

LOVE LOVE LOVE the auto-imported IE favs... new life will come to that dusty "create mobile favorite" button in IE

It's fast... I hope it's not only due to the presto engine not parsing certain things like embedded video and flash objects

Dragonfly is a good idea, but too much too soon... work on the core functions before showcasing Dragonfly or Widgets

Not too fond of the gray/black color scheme, but that's just personal taste.

Final Advice to Opera Devs...

IMEs IMEs IMEs!

Get that Memory usage down! It's probably a leak, but not something you want to have as a first impression... even in a beta.

Light a fire under Adobe to release Flash lite 3 so Opera Mobile users can brag to those smug iPhone schmuck bags!

Pull 1706 and mark 1522 as your Beta 1... you'll have a much warmer reception!

Last edited by Draiko; 07-16-2008 at 03:23 AM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Software