PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Software
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2007, 07:18 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

Automaton is keeping up the good workAutomaton is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Looking for an email client that can...

Hopefully this isn't a repost...

I have the Sprint Mogul/6800. I set up the messaging software it came with to access a mail account using POP3. It downloaded all the headers, then I tried to access a message. I couldn't immediately view the message. Instead, it wanted me to save the message to my device the next time it did a sync, and then let me view it. This isn't what I was expecting, and kinda sucks.

Is there a mail client that will let me download all the headers, then allow me to view and reply to messages on the fly without saving them to my device? Or is there a way to configure this kind of thing on the Mogul's messaging software? I realize the messages wouldn't be available offline, which I don't mind. Basically I want it to behave as if I was logging into a web-based mail client.

Last edited by Automaton; 11-13-2007 at 07:20 PM.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:15 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

sykosoft is a n00b
In answer to your first paragraph, you may not have the option on to download the message, and to only download the headers, and also, your messages may be bigger than the default 2kb, hence the "next time you connect" sync bit. Go through the account settings again, and make sure to hit "Options", and tell it to download messages, not just headers, and maybe increase to 4kb.

In answer to the question, I'm not aware of a single mail client like that, even for the desktop. Headers are just that, headers, and contain no part of the message. You would need to have a constant connection to view email that way, and it ends up downloading the messages to the device anyway.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:10 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Automaton is keeping up the good workAutomaton is keeping up the good work
Quote:
Originally Posted by sykosoft View Post
In answer to the question, I'm not aware of a single mail client like that, even for the desktop. Headers are just that, headers, and contain no part of the message. You would need to have a constant connection to view email that way, and it ends up downloading the messages to the device anyway.
Hm... maybe this is a something that someone here with programming skills could come up with a solution for?

"Downloading the messages to the device anyway" does not necesarily mean that we should have to SAVE the messages to the device just to view it. A message could just be displayed on the screen, then discarded when we navigate away from it.

The problem I have is that I don't really want to save a copy of my entire inbox (or any of it really) on my phone. In fact, I don't even care if it acts exactly like mail.yahoo.com and needs a live connection just to show me 10 headers per page at a time. I just want to be able to view it, download attachments, send replies, etc. Just like if I logged into mail.yahoo.com or some other web-based email. It doesn't HAVE to be saved to our device to use web-based email, so it shouldn't HAVE to be saved to our device for POP3, IMAP, etc. either.

Last edited by Automaton; 11-13-2007 at 10:13 PM.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:26 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

sykosoft is a n00b
Web based email doesn't work in nearly the same way. Web based email using some sort of scripting language, and an on-server storage backend to display your messages. There's no standard protocol for that sort of thing, so you won't be able to do it "easily". Also, you don't need to download your whole inbox, generally just messages from the last x days.

But you probably know both of the things I just mentioned, so I'm out of ideas.

Michael

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Software