PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Windows Mobile Hacks/Tweaks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Speed up Storage Card (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=48801)

[sammich] 12-19-2008 01:25 PM

Re: Speed up Storage Card

Well minimal improvements help, but is it really worth it?

FormerPalmOS 12-19-2008 03:54 PM

Note - Since the regedits apply to the SDHC drivers, I assume that this will be of no help whatsoever if you are not using SDHC. I have only a 2GB card in my device. Has anyone tried applying the same registry edits to the SDBus driver? I would, but I'm not that reliant on the card for anything, and I'm afraid of killing the device and having to hard reset (no time).

BigDiesel07 12-20-2008 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saumaun (Post 588252)
Well minimal improvements help, but is it really worth it?

I don't know what harm there is to using these registry edits...

Quote:

Originally Posted by FormerPalmOS (Post 588574)
Note - Since the regedits apply to the SDHC drivers, I assume that this will be of no help whatsoever if you are not using SDHC. I have only a 2GB card in my device. Has anyone tried applying the same registry edits to the SDBus driver? I would, but I'm not that reliant on the card for anything, and I'm afraid of killing the device and having to hard reset (no time).

I don't know of anybody that has done this yet, but I will look around and see...

guitardoc64 12-20-2008 03:19 PM

I doubt it will make much difference editing the device drivers for regular SD cards, since they have drivers built-in. However, I have an Apache to play with and I'll see if I can find a similar speed up.

guitardoc64 12-20-2008 11:17 PM

Okay here's the update. In the WM6 ROM on my Apache, there isn't much to report back on. The drivers are actually tweaked out to the max (Helmi core Kitchen ROM) and I don't have much to compare it with, since the SDHC drivers don't exist in that ROM. Even installing the tweaks on it wouldn't help because they are addressing the SDHC dlls that arent present. There are block transfer keys that could be tweaked but I don't think the software would support it. Sorry about no good news but that's the way it goes sometimes. I don't believe it is the definitive answer since the kitchen ROMs are using a higher revision than the one I have installed and have the option of SDHC support.

BigDiesel07 12-20-2008 11:30 PM

I know the .CAB install creates the registry entry if none is present..

[sammich] 12-21-2008 11:55 AM

And hopefully the removal removes the registry entries created at install!

guitardoc64 12-21-2008 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigDiesel07 (Post 590832)
I know the .CAB install creates the registry entry if none is present..

True but if its addressing a non-existent dll,program, etc, It's just registry garbage.

I'm game to try it though. What the hey, if I futz up the Apache, hard reset no problem.

guitardoc64 12-21-2008 01:05 PM

Regardless of what it will do in a non-SDHC device, it has continued to amaze me the difference that it makes on my Touch. I took the kids to a Christmas parade and shot a ton of pix. The difference that it made time-wise in saving the pix made getting "the shot" a lot easier because of the speed increase writing to the card.

ShadowDrake 12-21-2008 02:18 PM

Applied this, and I'm still getting ~150-200 kb/sec when transferring files to and from the card via resco explorer. :(

I'm going to flash to a different ROM in hopes of speeding the whole thing up a little, it's just difficult to find a good one that looks the same as the sprint rom.

abuttino 12-23-2008 10:53 AM

I have a 2GB SD card that has TomTom Maps on it. I couldn't have ANY POI's showing on the map, if I did, there would be a HUGE lag when I drive. It's fine now.

Not only this, IGO8 starts up much faster (all maps and program on storage card), I just ran a demo and it was also tested at phonomenal speeds which use to lag when the TTS engine started.

I guess I should tell you I am running a VZW Titan on DCD 3.3.4 with Radio 3.42.50

jlccarv 12-23-2008 09:17 PM

doesn't work on i-mate 8502 with official WM6.1 1.77. couldn't see my storage card after installation. unistalled and back to normal.

8GB class4 card works fine anyway...

stanglifemike 12-26-2008 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlccarv (Post 596891)
doesn't work on i-mate 8502 with official WM6.1 1.77. couldn't see my storage card after installation. unistalled and back to normal.

8GB class4 card works fine anyway...

Same with me on my Touch Pro, when sending a pic message- Storage Card isnt there anymore. I have to browse my files and go to DCIM, etc...
Didnt notice any speed increases, honestly seemed to lag a little more than before when browsing pics.....

shaggylive 12-27-2008 01:00 AM

here's the cab creators thread over @ xda for more info
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=446366

nuguy 12-27-2008 08:29 AM

link is broken, anyone able to repost?

edit: xda link works - op's link doesn't - thanks shaggy

demonlordoftheround 12-28-2008 12:47 AM

Thanks bd07

chronster 01-08-2009 11:58 AM

I can't really tell a difference. Should I be noticing faster load times for the music and pictures tab?

I never really had a large directory on my sd card so its hard to say if TC is "snappier"

What would be a good example to show me the difference? I mean, will google maps load images faster or something (installed to sd card)

edit:
actually, you know what, browsing the music from the library button within the music tab is faster. It doesnt take a long time to read my 4gb of mp3s lol.

k it werks :P

warrenmrogers 01-10-2009 09:31 PM

excuse my ignorance... where exactly do install the .cab file to make it work?

guitardoc64 01-10-2009 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigDiesel07 (Post 631881)
hey.. no problem with the question.. install on your phone and not the storage card.. any where on your phone is fine

Yes install to device, not storage. Any registry edit cab should install to device.

HotSauce 01-14-2009 11:58 PM

Will this make the storage card speeds faster or slower than internal memory? I was just wondering if it would be worth it to transfer some of my stuff from the internal memory to the card.

BigDiesel07 01-14-2009 11:59 PM

I am not sure about faster or slower than internal memory, but this will improve the speed of the storage card, regardless... It might be worth at least testing it out and seeing if you personally can discern any speed improvements...

rpmccormick 01-17-2009 07:36 PM

Does any one know the reg-edit? I searched this thread and the XDA one and nobody has asked what exactly this CAB does. I hate installing a CAB for a simple RegEdit.

BigDiesel07 01-17-2009 08:08 PM

I didnt find it either.. I would just install the .CAB.. It seems a lot of people like it and it has helped me... I hope it helps you too!

guitardoc64 01-17-2009 08:19 PM

I opened it with cab manager. It adds a lot of stuff, much more than a couple of little hacks. The cab install is definitely the way to go with this one.

guitardoc64 01-17-2009 09:03 PM

You're welcome Diesel. here is a screenshot of the additions.
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r...reenshot11.jpghttp://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r...enshot22-1.jpg

I wouldn't want to have to add all this manually...

guitardoc64 01-17-2009 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigDiesel07 (Post 647896)
Yeah... That's a lot... You don't mind me posting that pic in the OP do you?

Good idea! Let me tweeze them a bit for better viewing pleasure. I'll PM ya.

carvation 01-18-2009 12:05 PM

definately helped my tp, i can now watch movies with wm ,thx

ericmateo 01-20-2009 03:27 PM

has anyone tried this on xperia phone? thanks in advance!

[sammich] 01-20-2009 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericmateo (Post 654094)
has anyone tried this on xperia phone? thanks in advance!

If the registry entries in the first post ARE inside your Xperia, then the tweaks will probably work.

Try it out and let us know!

ericmateo 01-20-2009 04:18 PM

thanks mate, will try it out at home later!

BigDiesel07 01-20-2009 04:47 PM

Yeah, it should work on any WM 6.1 device.. Can't say for certain, but it should, as Sau said...

ft5117 01-21-2009 03:39 AM

Sprint TP became unstable, sluggish, and experienced frequent crashes!

I tried the cab on my Sprint TP and spent at least a half hour running various tests. I ran the same set of tests before AND after installing the cab... with soft resets between tests / install. The only improvement worth noting was the microSD's (8gb, class 6) 7.5% faster read speed. No improvement in write speed. Still, the 7.5% improvement is pretty darn amazing!

UNFORTUNATELY, my Sprint TP became unstable, sluggish, and crashed several times a day. After a few days of painfully unstable use, I uninstalled the cab and everything went back to normal, no more crashes.

BigDiesel07 01-21-2009 01:33 PM

I have not had any instability with this .CAB... Where you running stock ROM?

[sammich] 01-22-2009 01:08 AM

Re: Sprint TP became unstable, sluggish, and experienced frequent crashes!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ft5117 (Post 655534)
I tried the cab on my Sprint TP and spent at least a half hour running various tests. I ran the same set of tests before AND after installing the cab... with soft resets between tests / install. The only improvement worth noting was the microSD's (8gb, class 6) 7.5% faster read speed. No improvement in write speed. Still, the 7.5% improvement is pretty darn amazing!

UNFORTUNATELY, my Sprint TP became unstable, sluggish, and crashed several times a day. After a few days of painfully unstable use, I uninstalled the cab and everything went back to normal, no more crashes.

Are you sure this is what caused your issues? I think you're the only user that has experienced instability.

Perhaps you had another program interfering with the settings?

ft5117 01-22-2009 07:14 AM

So I just finished typing a very detailed response, then my notebook computer ran out of power and decided to go into hibernation. It's too late to retype all the detailed info, but I basically described my series of tests in detail. The battery of tests resulted in a noticeable difference in READ speed when the TP was connected to notebook pc as a disk drive (half gb file transferred from TP to notebook). No improvement transferring from notebook to TP. No improvement either way when connected via Activesync. I'm using the eRice rom, which is based on stock rom, but minus the bloatware. I would highly recommend the eRice series of roms. The instability caused freezing / crashes in pretty much all the apps, even when I run them one at a time: Coreplayer, TCPMP, Text Messaging, A2DP bluetooth, etc etc. Uninstalling restored the overall stability and reliability. Any ideas? Thanks.

BigDiesel07 01-22-2009 12:22 PM

That is weird ft... It may be the eRice ROM.. But I am not sure..

[sammich] 01-22-2009 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ft5117 (Post 657978)
So I just finished typing a very detailed response, then my notebook computer ran out of power and decided to go into hibernation.

Not to be too off topic, but if it went into hibernate your text should've still been there.

ft5117 01-22-2009 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigDiesel07 (Post 658338)
That is weird ft... It may be the eRice ROM.. But I am not sure..

If I had more time, I'd try the manual registry edits to find which ones help enough w/o creating system instability or conflicts. The 7.5% improvement is impressive and significant enough that I just might have to switch roms.

Quote:

Originally Posted by saumaun (Post 659295)
Not to be too off topic, but if it went into hibernate your text should've still been there.

Thanks... was hoping might have a solution for that too, lol.

O'Neil Mitchell 01-25-2009 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigDiesel07 (Post 574618)
Here is a great registry edit that dramatically speeds up your SD card... It is a simple .CAB file install... I DO NOT TAKE CREDIT FOR THIS... IT IS A CREATION OF XDA... Go here for the original XDA link...

The screen shots below were graciously given to us by GuitarDoc... They detail all the registry edits that this .CAB entails... A more then just a few...

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r...reenshot11.jpghttp://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r...enshot22-1.jpg

This will help my cause, thank you

shekh 01-29-2009 03:29 PM

Thnx much BigDiesel..Great works n beautiful solution.