PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Weekly Questions & Answers (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=367)
-   -   Downgrade HTC Windows Phone 7? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=147722)

rappleby 10-27-2011 09:08 AM

Downgrade HTC Windows Phone 7?

I recently took advantage of a $0 phone offer with my carrier and got an HTC Surround Windows Phone 7. Unfortunately, I had to return it and went back to my Apache. I loved the phone (what I really want is the new HTC Titan but it is not available with my carrier (yet?)) but Windows Phone 7 is definately not for business use. I'm not interested in Social Media, or games, or tunes, or mixing up my Facebook contacts with my business contacts on my business phone.

What I need is LOCAL sync with Outlook to syncronize my contacts, calendars and tasks. I don't want to use the cloud or third party apps that use Google and I don't have a Microsoft Exchange Server.

Is anyone developing a ROM for the newer Windows Phones (preferably HTC) to run Windows 6.5x so that I can use Activesync or Windows Mobile Device Center to synchronize with Outlook?

eric12341 10-27-2011 01:50 PM

Re: Downgrade HTC Windows Phone 7?

nope. if u have an email address for ur work wp7 can connect to that and sync it wirelessly with both ur phone and outlook. I would also recommend a brand new hotmail account to enter into the phone first then after that enter ur work email.

fixxxer2012 11-07-2011 10:44 PM

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.7; en-us; Incredible 2 Build/GRI40; liquid.vivow.20111101.145728) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

You went back to a 5+ year old phone? I just dont get the logic in that. Everyone will need to get a newer phone eventually.

TexasAggie97 11-16-2011 11:48 AM

Windows Phone 7 is definitely NOT a business-friendly phone, at least in it's original release state. I had to return it after 3 weeks because I couldn't actually do business work on the phone! I "upgraded" it to a Samsung Epic with Anroid. Haven't had any business problems yet!

Maybe Mango might have fixed the issues I orginally had, but it was too little too late for me.

eric12341 11-16-2011 02:36 PM

@TexasAggie97 yes mango fixed alot of the issues people had with NoDo and the initial release. after I upgraded to mango I couldn't understand how I was able to put up with NoDo soo long. That much of a difference.

Dr.8820 11-16-2011 11:10 PM

Wirelessly posted (WP7 Beta Tester: Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 6.1; Trident/5.0; XBLWP7; ZuneWP7))

My HD7 just got an update today that enables WiFi sharing for 5 devices...for free :D! Gotta love WP7!

eric12341 11-16-2011 11:28 PM

@Dr.8820 damn that's awesome, sure can't wait for my Tmo Prepay SIM to get to my house so I can get in on that.

Dr.8820 11-17-2011 10:14 AM

Wirelessly posted (WP7 Beta Tester: Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 6.1; Trident/5.0; XBLWP7; ZuneWP7))

You'll love the HD7, I'm really tempted to get a Titan and just use WiFi lol. OP, this just in http://www.wpcentral.com/microsoft-r...-windows-phone

rappleby 11-17-2011 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eric12341 (Post 2152692)
nope. if u have an email address for ur work wp7 can connect to that and sync it wirelessly with both ur phone and outlook. I would also recommend a brand new hotmail account to enter into the phone first then after that enter ur work email.

When you say "work" are you referring to syncing with an Exchange Server? 'cause I don't have one of those :( but I also do not want to use the cloud in any way shape or form or hotmail or google.

eric12341 11-17-2011 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rappleby (Post 2156068)
When you say "work" are you referring to syncing with an Exchange Server? 'cause I don't have one of those :( but I also do not want to use the cloud in any way shape or form or hotmail or google.

u don't have to have one, ur business just needs to have one, if u check ur email and manage ur PIM through outlook with that email address u should be able to access it from the phone once u enter it. And as far as refusing the cloud I don't know what to tell u because that's where computing is heading, its actually more convenient. For example imagine having to get ur phone replaced during ur lunch break and u still have some work to do. U'd have to wait till u got back to the office to recover all ur data when u could've just recovered it all on the fly.