PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan > Titan Development
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2008, 03:26 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: XV6800
Carrier: Verizon

SephirothWGP is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
6.1 or not?

I am successfully running 3.27 without any issues/bugs. I would kind of like to give 6.1 a try, but when I upgraded to 3.27 I wasn't able to use my backup (SPD) and I had to start all over again, I really don't want to do it AGAIN. So my question is, is it really worth the risk? I could care less about the SMS, I really would like to try it because of the increased speed everyone is reporting. I am also a little leery since I am running 3.27 without any issues whatsoever, I don't want to push my luck.
So has anyone went from 3.27 to 6.1 and used a backup program, and was it worth the trouble?
Old 02-03-2008, 03:31 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: lg optimus
Carrier: Sprint

dishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Quote:
Originally Posted by SephirothWGP View Post
I am successfully running 3.27 without any issues/bugs. I would kind of like to give 6.1 a try, but when I upgraded to 3.27 I wasn't able to use my backup (SPD) and I had to start all over again, I really don't want to do it AGAIN. So my question is, is it really worth the risk? I could care less about the SMS, I really would like to try it because of the increased speed everyone is reporting. I am also a little leery since I am running 3.27 without any issues whatsoever, I don't want to push my luck.
So has anyone went from 3.27 to 6.1 and used a backup program, and was it worth the trouble?
You can only restore a backup from a device with the same setup. IE, a backup from 2.17 can be restored to a 2.17 rom, a 3x backup to a 3x rom, and a 6.1 backup to a 6.1 rom.

since every rom changes the position of certain files and how things work (different reg entries, etc), flashing a backup from another rom type can cause unpredictable, possibly harmful effects.
That's just how it works.

So, no, unless you made the backup with a titan running the same 6.1 rom, you can't use that restore.
Old 02-03-2008, 03:38 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: XV6800
Carrier: Verizon
Threadstarter

SephirothWGP is a n00b
Quote:
Originally Posted by dishe View Post
You can only restore a backup from a device with the same setup. IE, a backup from 2.17 can be restored to a 2.17 rom, a 3x backup to a 3x rom, and a 6.1 backup to a 6.1 rom.

since every rom changes the position of certain files and how things work (different reg entries, etc), flashing a backup from another rom type can cause unpredictable, possibly harmful effects.
That's just how it works.

So, no, unless you made the backup with a titan running the same 6.1 rom, you can't use that restore.
Well that answered my primary question, now is it REALLY worth the hassle of re-installing everything again?

EDIT: BTW thanks for the quick and helpful response.
Old 02-03-2008, 11:16 AM
The Pusher Man
Pocket PC: BB
Carrier: Sprint - Simply Everything

Lsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Quote:
Originally Posted by SephirothWGP View Post
Well that answered my primary question, now is it REALLY worth the hassle of re-installing everything again?

EDIT: BTW thanks for the quick and helpful response.
No........ I tried it and went back to DcDs 2.0(Built off 3.16-WM 6.0).
Less memory usage and the only thing I saw different that I couldn't live without was threaded message and I got that in a app. I also had the PIE problem that a few people have with PIE not connecting.
Old 02-03-2008, 05:13 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: The Blazin' Mad Mogul

burchis is a n00b
Send a message via Yahoo to burchis
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsme420 View Post
No........ I tried it and went back to DcDs 2.0(Built off 3.16-WM 6.0).
Less memory usage and the only thing I saw different that I couldn't live without was threaded message and I got that in a app. I also had the PIE problem that a few people have with PIE not connecting.
I wouldn't mess with the update. Even though it is kind of a cool feeling to have something "New" on your PPC's that other's in the office may not have, it really isn't that great. Isme420 has the right idea, just load an sms threaded app and you will have the best part of 6.1 There are also some arguments that this isn't a real "unofficial" upgrade, yada yada yada... Whether or not it is or not, still not worth it. I was lucky to get an install that didn't cause me any issues at all. Once I was done I said to myself, "Why did I go through all this trouble when I like to use Opera Mobile anyway?!" Kind of comical really. Save yourself some time and at least give it some time for these folks to really work out the kinks and maybe add in some other cool features. Hope this helps!
Old 02-03-2008, 05:38 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Sturatt is a n00b
The main thing for me is that 6.1 runs literally twice as fast for me. the phone feels so much more responsive, everything just runs faster. I would at least give it a try, if you dont like it, go back to the other rom where you can just restore your backup.
Old 02-03-2008, 07:21 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Temp TP2 until the 3D

No1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIP
Send a message via MSN to No1ustad
Would PIM backup still work to restore contacts?
Old 02-03-2008, 07:59 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Evo 3D

Vertigo is becoming a PPCGeeks regularVertigo is becoming a PPCGeeks regularVertigo is becoming a PPCGeeks regularVertigo is becoming a PPCGeeks regularVertigo is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Quote:
Originally Posted by No1ustad View Post
Would PIM backup still work to restore contacts?
work as always!
Old 02-03-2008, 09:15 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

akijikan is keeping up the good workakijikan is keeping up the good workakijikan is keeping up the good work
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturatt View Post
The main thing for me is that 6.1 runs literally twice as fast for me. the phone feels so much more responsive, everything just runs faster.

Oh man, I was weary making the switch from DCD's 2.0 which I had just installed and set up but I'm so glad I did. I can't believe how much more responsive the phone is now!
Old 02-04-2008, 12:31 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: mogul
Carrier: sprint... wtf is this required?!

willpower101 is just getting started
I used sbp backup from 2.17 to 3.x just fine. I backed up everything I could through activesync, contacts through outlook, then used spb pim + mydocs only to get my pics, videos, and txt messages. Worked a treat. Lucky?

Oh, and DCD's roms are always faster than official roms because they are stripped down to the bare minimum, then tweaked to the max. At least, usually, unless there's a full one I'm missing.... [curiously heads over to xda]

Last edited by willpower101; 02-04-2008 at 12:33 PM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan > Titan Development