PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Titan Development (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=57)
-   -   HTC Titan (TNZ) Best &/OR Simplest upgrade (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=140669)

messor 02-07-2011 02:28 PM

HTC Titan (TNZ) Best &/OR Simplest upgrade

So, I have an old HTC Titan with WM5 lying around and saw these forums, wondered if it was worth trying. I have done a few modifications before, however i am slightly embarrassed to admit i'm a little confused here. Could someone please explain to me:
1. What is the simplest (or stablest if needed) ROM to install, full featured etc.
2. As the phone is basically retired I probably won't reconnect it to TNZ, do I still need the radio rom and to retrieve those settings? (I only want it for WiFi and apps really)

Tinkerbell 02-07-2011 08:41 PM

Re: HTC Titan (TNZ) Best &/OR Simplest upgrade

Quote:

Originally Posted by messor (Post 2052435)
So, I have an old HTC Titan with WM5 lying around and saw these forums, wondered if it was worth trying. I have done a few modifications before, however i am slightly embarrassed to admit i'm a little confused here. Could someone please explain to me:
1. What is the simplest (or stablest if needed) ROM to install, full featured etc.
2. As the phone is basically retired I probably won't reconnect it to TNZ, do I still need the radio rom and to retrieve those settings? (I only want it for WiFi and apps really)

I ran Mattsm Titan 21893 for quite some time. It is a full featured Rom with tons of goodies. If you were going to use on TNZ, I believe you are going to want to find a Rom for that carrier.

messor 02-08-2011 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tinkerbell_ (Post 2052700)
I ran Mattsm Titan 21893 for quite some time. It is a full featured Rom with tons of goodies. If you were going to use on TNZ, I believe you are going to want to find a Rom for that carrier.

Its a CDMA cell and CDMA is being retired next year, so I might just use it for wifi. That said, do I still need to flash the radio?
EDIT: Can i use a verizon/sprint/etc rom on a TNZ handset? Thanks!

messor 02-11-2011 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by messor (Post 2052803)
Its a CDMA cell and CDMA is being retired next year, so I might just use it for wifi. That said, do I still need to flash the radio?
EDIT: Can i use a verizon/sprint/etc rom on a TNZ handset? Thanks!

meh, doublepost...sue me.
Could someone pretty please direct me to a tutorial for the ESN stuff.
Sprint Vision is beginning to annoy me as im on TNZ, and ##DATA# doesn't work.

Tinkerbell 02-11-2011 03:38 AM

If your device is unlocked, you should be able to flash what you want. No, you won't need a radio upgrade to use with WiFi.

Cobaltikus 02-11-2011 04:19 PM

Actually - you may need to do a radio upgrade in order to flash certain roms - although I could be wrong - but seeing as your Titan has WinMo 5, if I were you I would do the stock upgrade from the HTC site first

Tinkerbell 02-11-2011 05:45 PM

Well, that is a thought too. You do need a GPS radio to flash some Roms... nice catch Cobaltikus!

messor 02-20-2011 01:17 AM

Thanks for the help guys.
After reading up on the subject, i've finally finished unlocking and flashing the device. I quite like the mattsm rom so i'm sticking with that. One thing though, someone should make a 'noob' thread somewhere explaining terms, pitfalls and perhaps a few tutorials. I had to trawl numerous forums to find answers to various problems and the xda-developers wiki is broken, seemingly beyond repair (Only one of the titan pages, the main page, is accessible)
Anyways, now that i've put my two cents in...back to work :)

Tinkerbell 02-20-2011 12:43 PM

Well, that is a good suggestion. What questions did you have as a new user? If we had the questions that a new user is wondering, we could put together a list of answers!