PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series > CDMA-Specific > Sprint Epic 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2011, 01:23 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint

Grateful Dave is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
How does Froyo 2.2's release affect someone with a custom 2.2 ROM

Hi!

I am sorry if this was answered in the Announcement thread. There are a lot of discussions to go through and couldn't find it. The subject of this post says it all. What will it do better than my current ROM? Should I accept the upgrade? If I don't upgrade will sprint regularly bug me to upgrade?

I am just beginning to understand all this. Installed my first custom ROM a few days ago. It's open up a whole new world.

Thank you

GD
Old 02-11-2011, 01:44 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Epic 4G

Wunder is becoming a PPCGeeks regularWunder is becoming a PPCGeeks regularWunder is becoming a PPCGeeks regularWunder is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via Skype™ to Wunder
Re: How does Froyo 2.2's release affect someone with a custom 2.2 ROM

Just guessing here but I imagine the Official ROM will handle 4g better, and hopefully be less buggy overall. Oh and plus you get all that juicy bloatware!!

Did I help? The is down to the right

Old 02-11-2011, 01:45 AM
O-Matic
Pocket PC: Vogue, TP2, Epic 4G, Nexus S, Galaxy SIII, Nexus 4
Carrier: Big Pink

shane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIP
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to shane6374

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grateful Dave View Post
Hi!

I am sorry if this was answered in the Announcement thread. There are a lot of discussions to go through and couldn't find it. The subject of this post says it all. What will it do better than my current ROM? Should I accept the upgrade? If I don't upgrade will sprint regularly bug me to upgrade?

I am just beginning to understand all this. Installed my first custom ROM a few days ago. It's open up a whole new world.

Thank you

GD
Pretty simple. If you're on a custom rom you won't be able to do the OTA, but that's alright because about 5 min after it's released you will be able to get it here. Then about a day after that there will be 5+ custom roms available. As far as what it will do better is yet to be known. Probably fix some of the bugs with DK28, but not really add much. The best part will be custom kernels after the code gets released.

Remember to clickon those who help! It's right down there.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:09 AM
nous défions
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S III

Johnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

There are a few things that the devs are waiting on the source code to be able to fix in 2.2. There are some pretty common bluetooth issues, and we should get voice dialing working 100%. The other big thing is that the Cyanogenmod team is stuck until the official release. They have done all they can and just have to wait. I wouldn't worry about it. Like Shane said, it won't be more than a day or two before you will have a nice menu of ROMs to download here once its released.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:57 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint Sero Premium 500 Premier Gold!

kirstein is halfway to VIP status based on repkirstein is halfway to VIP status based on repkirstein is halfway to VIP status based on repkirstein is halfway to VIP status based on repkirstein is halfway to VIP status based on repkirstein is halfway to VIP status based on repkirstein is halfway to VIP status based on repkirstein is halfway to VIP status based on repkirstein is halfway to VIP status based on repkirstein is halfway to VIP status based on repkirstein is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Hopefully there will be an updated modem/radio file that fixes the Time without signal bug and improves battery life.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:54 AM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirstein View Post
Hopefully there will be an updated modem/radio file that fixes the Time without signal bug and improves battery life.
tweaked kernels will be out soon as froyo source gets here.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:26 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HP Jornada 680,720 Treo 600,650,700P, TP2, Epic4G

swear0730 knows their stuffswear0730 knows their stuffswear0730 knows their stuffswear0730 knows their stuffswear0730 knows their stuffswear0730 knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grateful Dave View Post
Hi!

Thank you

GD
A valid question I asked a couple of months ago when I was new to Android. My understanding is that part of the license for using Android is to publish the "source code" for the release. This gives the smart guys here and other places on the 'net the ability to look at an improve the release.

With just leaked ROMs there is only so much the devs can do.

At least that's my understanding. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong or incomplete.

Last edited by swear0730; 02-11-2011 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Added "I asked"
Old 02-11-2011, 07:34 PM
O-Matic
Pocket PC: Vogue, TP2, Epic 4G, Nexus S, Galaxy SIII, Nexus 4
Carrier: Big Pink

shane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIPshane6374 is a VIP
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to shane6374

Quote:
Originally Posted by swear0730 View Post
A valid question a couple of months ago when I was new to Android. My understanding is that part of the license for using Android is to publish the "source code" for the release. This gives the smart guys here and other places on the 'net the ability to look at an improve the release.

With just leaked ROMs there is only so much the devs can do.

At least that's my understanding. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong or incomplete.
Yup, need the source code to really make improvements. Only so much we can do without it.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:47 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4G
Threadstarter

Grateful Dave is just getting started

Got it. Thanks all for the explanations. I actually understand. I thought that all the time I spent flashing my first custom ROM as a waste of time if I waited two weeks. Now I know its just the beginning. Glad there is hope on some the problems mentioned here (e.g. BT and voice command) that I have noticed already. There are really smart and helpful folks on this forum. I am committing to the Epic Thanks!
GD
This post has been thanked 1 times.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series > CDMA-Specific > Sprint Epic 4G