PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Sprint Epic 4G (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=249)
-   -   Root or wait for FROYO? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=139617)

tkjames 01-13-2011 05:53 PM

Root or wait for FROYO?

I just got my Epic and I'm doing my customary PPCG research to see what I can/should do and what I'm behind on. It's my first Android, so I'm going to play around on stock for a while, but I'm going to eventually root it. So forgive my ignorance, but what exactly is this Clockwork thing I keep seeing? I'm guessing that it's a ROM similar to stock that gets installed during the rooting process....is that right? If so, will the official Froyo update conflict with Clockwork and mess up my phone? Basically, should I wait to root after the update, or will rooting with Clockwork be okay with the update?

Trying to read the info on rooting is like trying to read Japanese in a Mexican restaurant...makes no sense! ](*,)

I want to root my phone mainly so I can make minor tweaks to it, like getting rid of some of the bloatware. I don't really want to run custom ROMS just yet, what with Froyo being so close (I usually wait til I'm bored with the phone, then install custom ROMS to try and fall in love with it again). I want to get all I can out of stock first, like learning to walk before trying to run.

big3etr 01-13-2011 06:09 PM

Re: Root or wait for FROYO?

I would root it. If not for the simple fact there are apps you will install that have annoying ads! When rooted, you can run an app called adfree to eliminate them, therefore keeping your phone from slowing down. I have the latest VIPERrom (Android 2.2 DK28) runs quick and smooth, while very customizable and eliminates Sprint bloatware!

KaliS 01-14-2011 09:52 AM

is adfree in the market or do i need to search the net for it? and what is the latest version if i got to hunt it down...?

skeegcpp 01-14-2011 10:11 AM

@tkjames, im also waiting for the official 2.2 update. Clockworkmod will only work if ur phone is rooted. Its not gonna hurt anything. However...does the custom 2.2 have the same improvements that the official update will have?(flash 10.1, etc)

tkjames 01-14-2011 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skeegcpp (Post 2036559)
Clockworkmod will only work if ur phone is rooted.

Ok, this is where I get a bit confused. So it's possible to root the phone without having to install a custom ROM? Rooting is just the Android version of unlocking....meaning it won't uninstall or erase the stock ROM, just make it possible to do some tweaks and install apps that require a rooted phone? When I root, will I lose any settings or information (am finally getting this phone set up just the way I like it!).

Thanks for teaching the babe how to walk, lol!

revaaron 01-14-2011 11:16 AM

analogies

unrooted: your work laptop that you can't install anything on
rooted: you have admin privileges

clockworkmod: gives you BIOS-like abilities to backup/update the phone when you boot up.

tkjames 01-14-2011 11:42 AM

Cool. So I can root and then just wait for the official Froyo update, then decide from there if I want to install custom ROMS...sounds like a plan.

Hypnotic2010 01-15-2011 11:51 AM

"Root or wait for FROYO?"

Its has been promised for 6 months already, dont hold your breath. the custom Froyo roms are already better than whatever they end up releasing officially anyway. Its easy as pie to root, dont hesitate. The one click root already has Clockwork, so if you can double click your mouse, you can root your Epic.

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/sprint-epi...ckworkmod.html

Hunterkiller5150 01-15-2011 12:01 PM

I said screw it and rooted mine the other day, I was sick and tired of waiting. I figured if I put 2.2 on my phone Froyo would come out soon after that (thats they way my luck is) so I am just speeding up the process!

Johnny.Bravo 01-15-2011 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tkjames (Post 2036608)
Cool. So I can root and then just wait for the official Froyo update, then decide from there if I want to install custom ROMS...sounds like a plan.

You might be waiting a LOOOOOOOONNNNNNNGGGGGG time.

Go ahead and root and flash Froyo. I really like the midNIGHT ROM (click below and it will take you right to it).

**EDIT: I would stick to the RFS version until you have had time to learn about EXT4. Scroll down to where it says "midNIGHT ROM v2.8 (DUAL) EXT4/RFS (Use this if you DO NOT want EXT4)".