PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series > CDMA-Specific > Sprint Epic 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2010, 02:57 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint

rglover1168 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to rglover1168
Re: Epic 4G Wiki - All Most Common Questions and Answers + Tips + Guides + 1-Click Ro

I have followed the instructions to the letter. I read something about the screen needing to be green or something. Mine is blue is that a problem?
I use the volume up and down key to select wipe data/factory reset (read somewhere to do that 3 times) I'll just as what to do next
Picasa Web Albums - Raymond Glover
Old 10-27-2010, 03:09 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G
Threadstarter

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Re: Epic 4G Wiki - All Most Common Questions and Answers + Tips + Guides + 1-Click Ro

Quote:
Originally Posted by rglover1168 View Post
I have followed the instructions to the letter. I read something about the screen needing to be green or something. Mine is blue is that a problem?
I use the volume up and down key to select wipe data/factory reset (read somewhere to do that 3 times) I'll just as what to do next
Picasa Web Albums - Raymond Glover
Again your booting into STOCK recovery..not clockworkmod recovery...

Clockwork recovery looks like this:

To get into recovery you need to to turn off the phone wait 30 sec...then hold the vol down + camera + power..your phone should turn on and wait till it reaches recovery...

if your recovery text is still blue and not green then ClockworkMod is not installed...follow the wiki link I gave you to install Clockworkmod recovery

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
Old 10-27-2010, 08:13 PM
Lurker

rglover1168 is a n00b

I wasn't aware that clockworkmod recovery wasn't installed because I'd never seen the actual screen. Turns out I had to select the run-try-last.bat and wait the additional 60 seconds while the phone reboots then says done. OK so now I have clockworkmod installed as I get the green screen. Now what do I need to do exactly to flash a rom?

Do I even need the Rom manager?

Last edited by rglover1168; 10-27-2010 at 08:17 PM.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:36 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Threadstarter

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
I wasn't aware that clockworkmod recovery wasn't installed because I'd never seen the actual screen. Turns out I had to select the run-try-last.bat and wait the additional 60 seconds while the phone reboots then says done. OK so now I have clockworkmod installed as I get the green screen. Now what do I need to do exactly to flash a rom?

Do I even need the Rom manager?
Rom manager is not required but it gives you some features like ability to name your backups and stuff. The first step before flashing anything should be to backup what you have now.

If you use rom manager..when it resets the phone, make sure to hold the vol down + camera + power as it boots because rom manager launches the stock recovery by default due to how the stock kernels are.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:42 PM
Lurker

rglover1168 is a n00b

Having to hold the vol down,camera and power button even after initiating from rom manager is news to me. Also since I didn't know I was in stock recovery that has caused a lot of frustration. Thanks to you however I have been able to at least install clockworkmod recovery and back up my current setup. Now if I can just figure out how to sink my teeth into this baked_snack it'll be all good!
Old 10-27-2010, 10:09 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Threadstarter

Quote:
Having to hold the vol down,camera and power button even after initiating from rom manager is news to me. Also since I didn't know I was in stock recovery that has caused a lot of frustration. Thanks to you however I have been able to at least install clockworkmod recovery and back up my current setup. Now if I can just figure out how to sink my teeth into this baked_snack it'll be all good!
Now that you have installed clockworkmod and made a backup you can install bakedsnacks via the zip install method you heard before.

IF for some reason you have data such as appdata or other data you want to carry over you may want to get Titanium Backup (It requires root and Busy box install) and backup your apps and/or data.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:43 PM
Lurker

rglover1168 is a n00b

Finally got this mother installed. In case anyone is following this thread and is a noob like me here are the points I missed before gTen's help.
1. The Clockworkmod recovery screen is exactly as shown above.
2. When using rom manager press volume down+camera+power immediately after hitting ok in the program otherwise you will boot into stock recovery.
3. I had to rename the update.zip on the sd card to update.old then renamed custom rom (bakedsnack) to update.zip then copied it to sd card root(not inside any other folder). Bam I'm enjoying the snack. Thanks for all the help gTen!

Last edited by rglover1168; 10-28-2010 at 09:38 AM. Reason: typo's
Old 10-31-2010, 05:26 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: samsungEPIC
Carrier: sprint

lazydazed is halfway to VIP status based on replazydazed is halfway to VIP status based on replazydazed is halfway to VIP status based on replazydazed is halfway to VIP status based on replazydazed is halfway to VIP status based on replazydazed is halfway to VIP status based on replazydazed is halfway to VIP status based on replazydazed is halfway to VIP status based on replazydazed is halfway to VIP status based on replazydazed is halfway to VIP status based on rep

im just getting started..

root - done
clockworkmod - bash face into wall........
i've tried first. tried last. did everything gTen was saying.. and everytime i try adb says i fail, files not found.. any more tips anywhere? im using win7 64bit
Old 10-31-2010, 06:22 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazydazed View Post
im just getting started..

root - done
clockworkmod - bash face into wall........
i've tried first. tried last. did everything gTen was saying.. and everytime i try adb says i fail, files not found.. any more tips anywhere? im using win7 64bit
Have you tried a different USB port? and do you have all 4 drivers installed?
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:15 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: samsungEPIC
Carrier: sprint

lazydazed is halfway to VIP status based on replazydazed is halfway to VIP status based on replazydazed is halfway to VIP status based on replazydazed is halfway to VIP status based on replazydazed is halfway to VIP status based on replazydazed is halfway to VIP status based on replazydazed is halfway to VIP status based on replazydazed is halfway to VIP status based on replazydazed is halfway to VIP status based on replazydazed is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gTen View Post
Have you tried a different USB port? and do you have all 4 drivers installed?
Yes.. and What 4 drivers?

i keep getting a file not found failure for /sdcard/zImage permission denied
bmldevice_open failed!
rm failed for /sdcard/local/tme/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin, No such file or directory...
etc.. etc...

i vaguely remember reading about partitioning the sdcard.. does that need to be done?

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series > CDMA-Specific > Sprint Epic 4G