PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Sprint Epic 4G (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=249)
-   -   Epic 4G Wiki - All Most Common Questions and Answers + Tips + Guides + 1-Click Root (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=133550)

mykie 10-12-2010 05:29 PM

Re: Epic 4G Wiki - All Most Common Questions and Answers + Tips + Guides + 1-Click Ro

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaun0207 (Post 1959410)
Quick question: Got my wife an Epic 4G and it will charge via the computer but it wont mount and load her SD card for mass storage mode even though she has enabled it on the phone. Any ideas?

Is it a Mac? Try enabling Debug mode.

Settings > Applications > Development > USB Debugging

sp4rtan5 10-19-2010 12:46 PM

Re: Epic 4G Wiki - All Most Common Questions and Answers + Tips + Guides

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarlaDarla (Post 1942572)
Stickied :)

Carla Darla, what happened to your last avetar pic? I miss it. "Ee waz naissss" (borat). I am willing to go on hunger strike if anyone else goes with me to convince you to put it back. ;-)

rglover1168 10-26-2010 04:36 PM

Re: Epic 4G Wiki - All Most Common Questions and Answers + Tips + Guides + 1-Click Ro

I'm coming from TP2 where I flashed all day everyday but No matter what I try I cannot flash a custom rom on this epic. I'm finally running Di08 and I got there from dg17 using odin3epic and a stock Di08 rom. I'm rooted with one.click.root .exploitv2.3.0 and everytime I try to boot in to clockworkmod recovery I get
--Install from sdcard...
Finding update package...
verifiying update package...

E:signature verification failed Installation aborted. Any suggestions would be appreciated I apologize if this is posted somewhere but I couldn't find it. I wish there was a way to flash a custom rom with odin because it's pretty simple for me to flash stock it would make since that I could flash a custom rom .tar but hey what do I know. Any help would be appreciated.

gTen 10-26-2010 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rglover1168 (Post 1981818)
I'm coming from TP2 where I flashed all day everyday but No matter what I try I cannot flash a custom rom on this epic. I'm finally running Di08 and I got there from dg17 using odin3epic and a stock Di08 rom. I'm rooted with one.click.root .exploitv2.3.0 and everytime I try to boot in to clockworkmod recovery I get
--Install from sdcard...
Finding update package...
verifiying update package...

E:signature verification failed Installation aborted. Any suggestions would be appreciated I apologize if this is posted somewhere but I couldn't find it. I wish there was a way to flash a custom rom with odin because it's pretty simple for me to flash stock it would make since that I could flash a custom rom .tar but hey what do I know. Any help would be appreciated.

.tar are for flashing with ODIN..not clockworkmod....if your flashing a zip and get the error then your booting into stock recovery and not clockworkmod recovery..if you have clockworkmod installed you reset the phone and hold vol down + camera + power while its booting.

rglover1168 10-27-2010 12:58 AM

That's exactly what I did and I see this on the screen
Android system recovery <2e>

Samsung Recovery Utils
- for BML -

reboot system now
apply sdcard:update.zip
wipe data/factory reset
wipe cache partition__________________________________

# MANUAL MODE #
At which point I can reboot system fine however I cannot apply sdcard: update.zip

I can wipe data/factory reset and wipe cache partition
I am now getting a little different error message though.

E:failed to verify whole -file signature
E:signature verification failed
Installation aborted

Trying to flash baked snack I basically loaded it onto the sd card and renamed it update.zip and changed the old update.zip to update.zin
I read somewhere else about using different kernels but I'm still on stock kernel not sure if that makes a difference. There is just not one definitive guide on the epic from start to finish step by step. Everyone is assuming you know some previous step. I need an epic flashing tutorial for dummies.

gTen 10-27-2010 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rglover1168 (Post 1982163)
That's exactly what I did and I see this on the screen
Android system recovery <2e>

Samsung Recovery Utils
- for BML -

reboot system now
apply sdcard:update.zip
wipe data/factory reset
wipe cache partition__________________________________

# MANUAL MODE #
At which point I can reboot system fine however I cannot apply sdcard: update.zip

I can wipe data/factory reset and wipe cache partition
I am now getting a little different error message though.

E:failed to verify whole -file signature
E:signature verification failed
Installation aborted

Trying to flash baked snack I basically loaded it onto the sd card and renamed it update.zip and changed the old update.zip to update.zin
I read somewhere else about using different kernels but I'm still on stock kernel not sure if that makes a difference. There is just not one definitive guide on the epic from start to finish step by step. Everyone is assuming you know some previous step. I need an epic flashing tutorial for dummies.

By the looks of it your booting into stock recovery and not clockworkmod recovery..just to confirm.did you install clockworkmod recovery on your phone?

As for a tutorial..I'll see what I can do once I have the time.

rglover1168 10-27-2010 09:30 AM

I actually downloaded Rom manager from the the market then paid $4.99 for the premium v2.5.0.4 license thinking that would help make it easier but it didn't. After opening the program on my phone I selected Flash clockworkmod recovery then selected Samsung Epic and it says successfully downloaded ClockworkMod recovery. However If I select Reboot into recovery I get the above results or install from sd card same thing.

gTen 10-27-2010 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rglover1168 (Post 1982282)
I actually downloaded Rom manager from the the market then paid $4.99 for the premium v2.5.0.4 license thinking that would help make it easier but it didn't. After opening the program on my phone I selected Flash clockworkmod recovery then selected Samsung Epic and it says successfully downloaded ClockworkMod recovery. However If I select Reboot into recovery I get the above results or install from sd card same thing.

You won't be able to install clockworkmod from rom manager unless you have a custom kernel that supports that. On stock kernel you gotta install it via the oen click method.

Lastly, it won't boot you to clockwork recovery by default..you still gotta hold own vol down + camera + power during the boot.

rglover1168 10-27-2010 01:44 PM

I'm running around in circles all over the place because there is no one place with all the info for a complete android noob. I was excited to find the wiki but it would appear I'm a little slow to understand. I've googled & googled and the outcome is I've been to sdx and xda and smartphonejunkie and android forums and here is where I usually get my best answers, still holding out hope. I followed the instructions on sdx forum on how to install clockworkmod which was done by downloading sdk and redbend_ua with recovery kernel and from what I could tell successfully flashed clockworkmod from there I installed from market as a suggestion in a post on xda. So I've been gathering bits and pieces of info from different sites because there is no one place for a noob to get all the info on how to flash a custom rom from start to finish with an epic. Take this for example:
Here are the instructions for bakedSnack:
Things you need:
clockwork recovery (googl'd that it lead me to this post, so I did that).
a full wipe of data (figured that out)
Instructions:
boot into clockwork (thought I found help here nope same trend of not enough info)
wipe data/cache/dalvik (figured I was wiping everything goes back to factory but I don't even see "cache/dalvik" in the options)
flash the .zip (I wish I knew how to get past this point)
reboot
your done
Sure could use that tutorial or maybe just an update by someone to the wiki

gTen 10-27-2010 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rglover1168 (Post 1982466)
I'm running around in circles all over the place because there is no one place with all the info for a complete android noob. I was excited to find the wiki but it would appear I'm a little slow to understand. I've googled & googled and the outcome is I've been to sdx and xda and smartphonejunkie and android forums and here is where I usually get my best answers, still holding out hope. I followed the instructions on sdx forum on how to install clockworkmod which was done by downloading sdk and redbend_ua with recovery kernel and from what I could tell successfully flashed clockworkmod from there I installed from market as a suggestion in a post on xda. So I've been gathering bits and pieces of info from different sites because there is no one place for a noob to get all the info on how to flash a custom rom from start to finish with an epic. Take this for example:
Here are the instructions for bakedSnack:
Things you need:
clockwork recovery (googl'd that it lead me to this post, so I did that).
a full wipe of data (figured that out)
Instructions:
boot into clockwork (thought I found help here nope same trend of not enough info)
wipe data/cache/dalvik (figured I was wiping everything goes back to factory but I don't even see "cache/dalvik" in the options)
flash the .zip (I wish I knew how to get past this point)
reboot
your done
Sure could use that tutorial or maybe just an update by someone to the wiki

One step at a time..first before flashing anything you need to install clockworkmod on your phone..follow the instructions here:

http://wiki.ppcgeeks.com/index.php?t...g#ClockworkMod

if runtryfirst.bat fails use runtrylast.bat

once its installed, turn off the phone, wait 30 sec then turn it on by holding vol down + camera + power and hold it till it boots into recovery.

rglover1168 10-27-2010 02:57 PM

I have followed the instructions to the letter. I read something about the screen needing to be green or something. Mine is blue is that a problem?
I use the volume up and down key to select wipe data/factory reset (read somewhere to do that 3 times) I'll just as what to do next
Picasa Web Albums - Raymond Glover

gTen 10-27-2010 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rglover1168 (Post 1982504)
I have followed the instructions to the letter. I read something about the screen needing to be green or something. Mine is blue is that a problem?
I use the volume up and down key to select wipe data/factory reset (read somewhere to do that 3 times) I'll just as what to do next
Picasa Web Albums - Raymond Glover

Again your booting into STOCK recovery..not clockworkmod recovery...

Clockwork recovery looks like this:

http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l7...w5hpo1_400.png

To get into recovery you need to to turn off the phone wait 30 sec...then hold the vol down + camera + power..your phone should turn on and wait till it reaches recovery...

if your recovery text is still blue and not green then ClockworkMod is not installed...follow the wiki link I gave you to install Clockworkmod recovery

rglover1168 10-27-2010 08:13 PM

I wasn't aware that clockworkmod recovery wasn't installed because I'd never seen the actual screen. Turns out I had to select the run-try-last.bat and wait the additional 60 seconds while the phone reboots then says done. OK so now I have clockworkmod installed as I get the green screen. Now what do I need to do exactly to flash a rom?

Do I even need the Rom manager?

gTen 10-27-2010 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rglover1168 (Post 1982728)
I wasn't aware that clockworkmod recovery wasn't installed because I'd never seen the actual screen. Turns out I had to select the run-try-last.bat and wait the additional 60 seconds while the phone reboots then says done. OK so now I have clockworkmod installed as I get the green screen. Now what do I need to do exactly to flash a rom?

Do I even need the Rom manager?

Rom manager is not required but it gives you some features like ability to name your backups and stuff. The first step before flashing anything should be to backup what you have now.

If you use rom manager..when it resets the phone, make sure to hold the vol down + camera + power as it boots because rom manager launches the stock recovery by default due to how the stock kernels are.

rglover1168 10-27-2010 09:42 PM

Having to hold the vol down,camera and power button even after initiating from rom manager is news to me. Also since I didn't know I was in stock recovery that has caused a lot of frustration. Thanks to you however I have been able to at least install clockworkmod recovery and back up my current setup. Now if I can just figure out how to sink my teeth into this baked_snack it'll be all good!

gTen 10-27-2010 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rglover1168 (Post 1982772)
Having to hold the vol down,camera and power button even after initiating from rom manager is news to me. Also since I didn't know I was in stock recovery that has caused a lot of frustration. Thanks to you however I have been able to at least install clockworkmod recovery and back up my current setup. Now if I can just figure out how to sink my teeth into this baked_snack it'll be all good!

Now that you have installed clockworkmod and made a backup you can install bakedsnacks via the zip install method you heard before.

IF for some reason you have data such as appdata or other data you want to carry over you may want to get Titanium Backup (It requires root and Busy box install) and backup your apps and/or data.

rglover1168 10-27-2010 11:43 PM

Finally got this mother installed. In case anyone is following this thread and is a noob like me here are the points I missed before gTen's help.
1. The Clockworkmod recovery screen is exactly as shown above.
2. When using rom manager press volume down+camera+power immediately after hitting ok in the program otherwise you will boot into stock recovery.
3. I had to rename the update.zip on the sd card to update.old then renamed custom rom (bakedsnack) to update.zip then copied it to sd card root(not inside any other folder). Bam I'm enjoying the snack. Thanks for all the help gTen!

lazydazed 10-31-2010 05:26 PM

im just getting started..

root - done
clockworkmod - bash face into wall........
i've tried first. tried last. did everything gTen was saying.. and everytime i try adb says i fail, files not found.. any more tips anywhere? im using win7 64bit

gTen 10-31-2010 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lazydazed (Post 1984976)
im just getting started..

root - done
clockworkmod - bash face into wall........
i've tried first. tried last. did everything gTen was saying.. and everytime i try adb says i fail, files not found.. any more tips anywhere? im using win7 64bit

Have you tried a different USB port? and do you have all 4 drivers installed?

lazydazed 11-01-2010 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gTen (Post 1985000)
Have you tried a different USB port? and do you have all 4 drivers installed?

Yes.. and What 4 drivers?

i keep getting a file not found failure for /sdcard/zImage permission denied
bmldevice_open failed!
rm failed for /sdcard/local/tme/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin, No such file or directory...
etc.. etc...

i vaguely remember reading about partitioning the sdcard.. does that need to be done? ](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,)

gTen 11-01-2010 04:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lazydazed (Post 1985215)
Yes.. and What 4 drivers?

When you plug in your device, go into Device Manager...it should install 4 drivers(Dont remember the names off the top of my head but 2 of them are ADB and CDC)...inside device manager make sure there is no marking showing a driver has not been installed.

Quote:

i keep getting a file not found failure for /sdcard/zImage permission denied
bmldevice_open failed!
rm failed for /sdcard/local/tme/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin, No such file or directory...
etc.. etc...
Is your sd card mounted or not?

lazydazed 11-01-2010 10:35 PM

:scratch: maybe im too dumb for android...

im not sure about the 4 programs... i downloaded the sdk from android?... yes the sdcard is mounted.. i was able to root so easily (i think) one click.. but this is beyond me i guess..

oh well thank you anyways gTen!

gTen 11-01-2010 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lazydazed (Post 1985941)
:scratch: maybe im too dumb for android...

im not sure about the 4 programs... i downloaded the sdk from android?... yes the sdcard is mounted.. i was able to root so easily (i think) one click.. but this is beyond me i guess..

oh well thank you anyways gTen!

Not 4 programs..4 drivers....rooting require 3/4 to work..but flashing clockworkmod seems to require all 4 :/

when you plug in your phone on the bottom right it tells you which drivers your pc is installing looks like a computer circling.

Its not that hard..just gotta know what to look for

kiit408 11-10-2010 11:35 PM

so i flashed and did not get into the custom recovery my issue has nothing to do with this. I guess my whole OS was wiped and i bricked my phone, is there a link for those who have done this and need to go back to the samsung stock rom using samsung recovery?

ps: i can reach samsung recovery but samsung comes on and makes noise but doesn't leave that startup

gTen 11-11-2010 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiit408 (Post 1992814)
so i flashed and did not get into the custom recovery my issue has nothing to do with this. I guess my whole OS was wiped and i bricked my phone, is there a link for those who have done this and need to go back to the samsung stock rom using samsung recovery?

ps: i can reach samsung recovery but samsung comes on and makes noise but doesn't leave that startup

If you bricked your phone here is a guide on what to do:

http://wiki.ppcgeeks.com/index.php?t...x_Bricked_Epic

Hunterkiller5150 11-12-2010 11:03 AM

I have a couple of questions.
1. Do I have to root my phone to remove the sprint .apks? or does method 2 work without rooting.
2. If I don't have to root, would a reset reload the .apks or does a reset just reset the user data and not reload the rom?

gTen 11-12-2010 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hunterkiller5150 (Post 1993862)
I have a couple of questions.
1. Do I have to root my phone to remove the sprint .apks? or does method 2 work without rooting.
2. If I don't have to root, would a reset reload the .apks or does a reset just reset the user data and not reload the rom?

The ADB method "might" work without rooting...cant say for sure though...

Reseting will not return the apks..hence its best to root anyways so you can make backups and stuff.

There is really not much harm in rooting :/

Hunterkiller5150 11-12-2010 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gTen (Post 1993977)
The ADB method "might" work without rooting...cant say for sure though...

Reseting will not return the apks..hence its best to root anyways so you can make backups and stuff.

There is really not much harm in rooting :/

It's a company phone so I can't root it because it will void the warranty. I know that I can unroot it back, but I don't want to have to worry about something happening to my phone if I root it. Otherwise this thing would have barely been on before it was rooted!
:mrgreen:

gTen 11-12-2010 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hunterkiller5150 (Post 1994024)
It's a company phone so I can't root it because it will void the warranty. I know that I can unroot it back, but I don't want to have to worry about something happening to my phone if I root it. Otherwise this thing would have barely been on before it was rooted!
:mrgreen:

Sprint warranty or Samsung?

cause samsung warranty, nothing against rooting:

Samsung

Hunterkiller5150 11-12-2010 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gTen (Post 1994086)
Sprint warranty or Samsung?

cause samsung warranty, nothing against rooting:

Samsung

Sprint. Personally I think that it should be illegal to void the warranty by customizing your phone seeing as how its your phone that you bought, but that isn't my call to make.

Johnny.Bravo 11-13-2010 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hunterkiller5150 (Post 1994144)
Sprint. Personally I think that it should be illegal to void the warranty by customizing your phone seeing as how its your phone that you bought, but that isn't my call to make.

The whole voided warranty thing is a joke IMO. If you know how to root your phone, then you know how to unroot it in case you need to bring it back. And if its bricked, they won't be able to turn it on anyway, and you can tell them it happened during an OTA update.

fa5spoon 11-30-2010 08:15 PM

If i just installed a new ROM and i had backed up my previous ROM and from ClockworkMod Recovery i do -backup and restore>Advanced Restore>Restore data>yes, will this restore my previous ROM or just data, and will it also restore apps? or would would be the best and quickest way to restore data and apps to a new ROM. Thank you.

Johnny.Bravo 11-30-2010 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fa5spoon (Post 2004948)
If i just installed a new ROM and i had backed up my previous ROM and from ClockworkMod Recovery i do -backup and restore>Advanced Restore>Restore data>yes, will this restore my previous ROM or just data, and will it also restore apps? or would would be the best and quickest way to restore data and apps to a new ROM. Thank you.

The Advanced Restore>Restore Data will restore your user data to include all emails, text messages, call history, game progress, backgrounds, ringtones etc. It will also restore and any apps you had installed. I suggest you also backup all your apps with something like My Backup Pro or Titanium Backup in case you need to restore just your apps without restoring everything. else

fa5spoon 11-30-2010 10:14 PM

So is there anyway to do a restore for apps without having to install them 1 at a time?

Johnny.Bravo 11-30-2010 10:18 PM

The Clockworkmod data restore you just mentioned will restore all your apps. So will Titanium Backup. If you used TB to make a backup, all you have to do in reinstall the app, and then run the batch function to restore all your apps.

But Clockworkmod is much easier.

fa5spoon 12-01-2010 07:32 PM

what exactly is odin?

and also when im in Clockwork Recovery and i want to flash a new ROM when wiping everything, do i also need to do advanced>wipe dalvik cache and advanced>wipe battery stats?

Thanks again.

Johnny.Bravo 12-01-2010 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fa5spoon (Post 2005552)
what exactly is odin?

Odin is a program that you can use to flash a stock ROM onto your phone. Its the same program that Samsung uses to flash their phones. The wiki has detailed instructions on how to use it and a link to where you can get it. Its under the section "Return to Stock / Fix Bricked Epic"

Quote:

Originally Posted by fa5spoon (Post 2005552)
and also when im in Clockwork Recovery and i want to flash a new ROM when wiping everything, do i also need to do advanced>wipe dalvik cache and advanced>wipe battery stats?

Thanks again.

When you are wiping your phone prior to flashing a new ROM, you do not have to wipe the dalvik cache. That happens automatically when you do the initial wipe. And you only need to wipe the battery stats if you are flashing a new kernel. There is a paragraph in the wiki under how to flash ROMs with Clockwork that specifically addresses the battery stats.

http://wiki.ppcgeeks.com/index.php?title=Sprint_Epic_4g

Pretty much everything you asked is covered in the wiki. If you have any problems with any of it , or there are any parts you don't understand post it here and we'll get it fixed.

fa5spoon 12-02-2010 02:50 AM

if i install the odin for [ROM] Epic Experience - Version 2.0.01 [11/30] - Froyo, what exactly is that changing? And once that odin is installe and i decide to change to a different ROM does i have to remove the odin? Thanks.

gTen 12-02-2010 03:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fa5spoon (Post 2005754)
if i install the odin for [ROM] Epic Experience - Version 2.0.01 [11/30] - Froyo, what exactly is that changing? And once that odin is installe and i decide to change to a different ROM does i have to remove the odin? Thanks.

You don't install odin..odin is an exe on your pc which interfaces with loke(usb itnerface) of the phone to flash stuff...it is similar to an RUU if you used winmo phones before...but with customization...

Johnny.Bravo 12-02-2010 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fa5spoon (Post 2005754)

You don't use Odin to flash custom ROMs, you use Clockworkmod custom recovery.

As far as what the new ROM changes, you can read through all the change logs on the cook's thread and it will tell you what has been modified. Once you have Clockworkmod installed you can flash a new ROM whenever you want. From backing up your current ROM to flashing a new one and restoring your user data the whole process takes about 15 minutes.