PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Sprint Epic 4G (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=249)
-   -   Official Samsung Battery Performance Talk (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=132689)

Wunder 09-19-2010 02:44 PM

Re: Battery Drain, and the culprit App IS.....

I haven't changed anything from last night, wifi still on, but the screen is now sleeping as excpected after a reboot. TWS=0%

*EDIT - Wow, spoke too soon. Screen not sleeping. Changed Live Wallpaper to regular, screen still on, turn it off and it turns itself on again to the lockscreen, then it sleeps...WTF

daddymikey1975 09-19-2010 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wunder (Post 1949191)
I haven't changed anything from last night, wifi still on, but the screen is now sleeping as excpected after a reboot. TWS=0%

*EDIT - Wow, spoke too soon. Screen not sleeping. Changed Live Wallpaper to regular, screen still on, turn it off and it turns itself on again to the lockscreen, then it sleeps...WTF

I had a weird quirk like this once using widget locker... really pissed me off.. I uninstalled it.. fixed it..

Stock.. I got no idea.. heh..

Wunder 09-19-2010 05:34 PM

Well crap. I can't very well go testing apps when the screen won't sleep before I even start adding apps. Next step: Hard Reset, change one little setting at a time until the screen stops sleeping....

Wunder 09-19-2010 06:48 PM

Directly after a hard reset and activation, screen turning on by itself and staying on. I use an AirRave because my neighborhood doesn't get Sprint coverage (which is a whole other talk show). I have to think that AirRave is the culprit in my case, AirRave (AiRave?) doesn't provide 3g data, maybe the funky signal is making my phone work harder??

This takes me out of the testing grounds, I can't very well properly test when I'm out on the town. Anyone know how I can bring this issue up with CS so they'll actually understand?

beejmeister 09-20-2010 10:45 AM

I too have been very disappointed in the battery life... and have been told by everyone that it has to do with 3G, BlueTooth... White LEDs, my Shoe Size.... etc.

Over the weekend I had done a Hard Reset on Saturday Night and forgot to setup my Exchange Server connection.... I was on vacation and didn't notice all day on Sunday that I hadn't done so.... and my battery life went through the roof! While in the car I was even connected to my Car's Bluetooth connection (and GPS) and my phone after ~9 hours still had 70% battery life on it....

So even with BT and GPS enabled... I still was able to get incredible battery life.

SO! My question is.... is it possible that one of the commonalities that isn't being discussed as far as Good vs. Bad battery life has to do with whether or not we are using Push Email/Calendar/Contact updating from an Exchange Server vs. POP or IMAP?

I'm just asking.... I ain't smart like the rest of you.

beejmeister 09-20-2010 11:47 AM

Re: Official Samsung Battery Performance Talk

I too have been very disappointed in the battery life... and have been told by everyone that it has to do with 3G, BlueTooth... White LEDs, my Shoe Size.... etc.

Over the weekend I had done a Hard Reset on Saturday Night and forgot to setup my Exchange Server connection.... I was on vacation and didn't notice all day on Sunday that I hadn't done so.... and my battery life went through the roof! While in the car I was even connected to my Car's Bluetooth connection (and GPS) and my phone after ~9 hours still had 70% battery life on it....

So even with BT and GPS enabled... I still was able to get incredible battery life.

SO! My question is.... is it possible that one of the commonalities that isn't being discussed as far as Good vs. Bad battery life has to do with whether or not we are using Push Email/Calendar/Contact updating from an Exchange Server vs. POP or IMAP?

chronster 09-20-2010 04:13 PM

My battery life is incredible, and the phone's performance is amazing, all after rooting, applying the lag fix, then using terminal backup to remove the bloatware.

Really, it's the apps that run services that drain the most. If you don't need it, use terminal backup to get rid of it.

daddymikey1975 09-21-2010 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chronster (Post 1950060)
My battery life is incredible, and the phone's performance is amazing, all after rooting, applying the lag fix, then using terminal backup to remove the bloatware.

Really, it's the apps that run services that drain the most. If you don't need it, use terminal backup to get rid of it.

I'm gonna look into this and test this theory..

FWIW since updating to the D107, which left my device unchanged, I now am at 0% Time without service. (While still running juice defender).. Before updating (while running or not running juice defender) I was at or above 50%..

Gonna get a full charge on this bad boy and disable juice defender again (now that I have D107).. If batt. life still sucks for me, then I'll try the root, lag fix, etc. that Chronster mentioned.

(Still testing heh..I'm not giving up till we figure it out or get froyo ;) )

chronster 09-21-2010 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daddymikey1975 (Post 1950666)
I'm gonna look into this and test this theory..

FWIW since updating to the D107, which left my device unchanged, I now am at 0% Time without service. (While still running juice defender).. Before updating (while running or not running juice defender) I was at or above 50%..

Gonna get a full charge on this bad boy and disable juice defender again (now that I have D107).. If batt. life still sucks for me, then I'll try the root, lag fix, etc. that Chronster mentioned.

(Still testing heh..I'm not giving up till we figure it out or get froyo ;) )

I have the fascinate, but it should be the same with the epic.

rooting isn't hard either. I've never owned an Android phone and I had this one rooted 10 minutes after owning it LOL

Basically, go to Settings>Applications>Running Services and take a look at what applications show up in that list that you'll never use. These are the apps you can get rid of first.

I really am leaning towards voice commands being a culprit as well.

Oh also, I found this app called Watchdog. It tells you when apps are using too much cpu power, or "misbehaving." Not a bad app actually.

dumpringz 09-21-2010 06:43 PM

today was one of the worst battery days since i had the phone ... phone is 100% stock with the recent update. off the charger at 8:30am & by 3:30 i was at 34% & def didnt use it as much as i do with browsing & texting ... all looked normal on battery usage except phone calls was a whopping 47% of the battery life .. i dont even really use the phone like that & if i am on it the screen is off majority of the call .. what type of setting if any can be made to tone down that battery usage ? ive noticed phone calls generally uses a decent amount of life but i cant recall it being this much