PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Sprint Epic 4G (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=249)
-   -   Official Samsung Battery Performance Talk (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=132689)

daddymikey1975 09-16-2010 07:27 PM

Re: Battery Drain, and the culprit App IS.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wunder (Post 1946579)
Oh haha very good point, I thought you meant excluding JDizzle's input, which has been super valuable.

Yes I'd like to see these results without Juice Defender too, but that may be hard as it's probably the first thing people install on their phones. When I do my full test I'll exclude JD

With the app list that I provided, I will also re-test after removing Juice Defender.. Gonna wait till saturday morning unplug before I test though.. I'll report my findings back.

vfrjim 09-16-2010 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdizzle (Post 1946403)
I've read on another site that Fring app is a battery killer....users of this app have reported great improvement in battery life after uninstall...so fring may be an app to avoid...

I, personally would avoid Fring like the plague. I was not able to remove it completely from my winmo device without using my backup to restore it to what it was before and it was killing my battery,

Wunder 09-17-2010 03:52 AM

The evidence against Fring is stacking up, might have to throw the book at it. Make an example. The long arm of the law is here and we ain't playing around! No more apps running wild!! No more having there way with our screen's sleep and background services!!! NO MORE I SAY!!!!

gTen 09-17-2010 10:37 AM

I don't know about energy drain but I do see Fring running all the time in the background thats for sure....(probably checking for incoming calls?)

Wunder 09-17-2010 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gTen (Post 1947252)
I don't know about energy drain but I do see Fring running all the time in the background thats for sure....(probably checking for incoming calls?)

Hmm. We'll let Fring reside in "Power Hungry Apps" purgatory for now. The "Guilty" apps are really the ones that turn that big beautiful screen on. If an app needs to run to intercept your incoming calls, well you can't fault it for that...

daddymikey1975 09-18-2010 06:10 PM

Ok guys.. here's an update (of sorts)..

I disabled juice defender and my battery life sucked (again)... but here's some interesting reading..

After reading this over at XDA and fix for battery issues on Android Forums I've decided to share...

It seems as if Samsung and/or Sprint need to update our radios. Our devices are set to WCDMA by default. So they're searching for a WCDMA tower and can't find one. This could prevent the phone from going to sleep as well.

To check and see if your device has been plagued w/ this illness, to go Menu > Settings > About Phone > Battery Use > Cell Standby.. look for "Time without Service".. Mine was at 52%.. THIS could kill our batteries as well as keep the phone from sleeping. This also explains why Juice Defender works so well. It shuts down the data connection, thereby preventing the phone from hunting for a WCDMA signal and allowing the device to sleep.

(to be fair, when I was using juice defender, the biggest portion of battery usage for me was the display.. but we know the display only uses battery when the screen is active.)

The fix (from what I've read) has had sporadic results. Temporarily, we can put our phones in airplane mode, then back to normal. This is suppsoed to fix it. If you power off your device, you need to re-do this again.

I tried the airplane mode and back again to no avail. I also updated PRL and no luck. I've resorted back to Juice Defender as a fix since it seems to work so well (for me)...

I hope this helps a few of us that have problems.

(links above are also sources as to where I got this info from.. It is not my discovery, I just found the fix and wanted to share)

Wunder 09-18-2010 07:27 PM

Thanks a lot for this. I'm going to show this to the service guys at the sprint store. No service HALF the time? That's perverse

daddymikey1975 09-18-2010 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wunder (Post 1948699)
Thanks a lot for this. I'm going to show this to the service guys at the sprint store. No service HALF the time? That's perverse

Did you check yours ??

With my charger connected, and juice defender running mine dropped a little to 46%.

Although.. I'm getting ready to test another 'fix'...

I'm a moderator on HowardForums and one of the other mods has an Epic as well. He said that by using the Andromeda Kernel.. this problem goes away as well. Claimed that he's getting 2 days on a charge with moderate usage and NOT using juice defender.

I'm going to test this theory out as soon as my phone gets to 100% charging... I might just install the custom kernel in the morning, disable juice defender and let it run tomorrow and see what happens..

I'll update back when I have more results concerning this.. (sorry to thread jack.... heh.. )

daddymikey1975 09-18-2010 07:55 PM

Re: Official Samsung Battery Performance Talk

I posted this in the "culprit app" thread and wanted it to get some exposure here as well:

Quote:

Originally Posted by daddymikey1975
Ok guys.. here's an update (of sorts)..

I disabled juice defender and my battery life sucked (again)... but here's some interesting reading..

After reading this over at XDA and fix for battery issues on Android Forums I've decided to share...

It seems as if Samsung and/or Sprint need to update our radios. Our devices are set to WCDMA by default. So they're searching for a WCDMA tower and can't find one. This could prevent the phone from going to sleep as well.

To check and see if your device has been plagued w/ this illness, to go Menu > Settings > About Phone > Battery Use > Cell Standby.. look for "Time without Service".. Mine was at 52%.. THIS could kill our batteries as well as keep the phone from sleeping. This also explains why Juice Defender works so well. It shuts down the data connection, thereby preventing the phone from hunting for a WCDMA signal and allowing the device to sleep.

(to be fair, when I was using juice defender, the biggest portion of battery usage for me was the display.. but we know the display only uses battery when the screen is active.)

The fix (from what I've read) has had sporadic results. Temporarily, we can put our phones in airplane mode, then back to normal. This is suppsoed to fix it. If you power off your device, you need to re-do this again.

I tried the airplane mode and back again to no avail. I also updated PRL and no luck. I've resorted back to Juice Defender as a fix since it seems to work so well (for me)...

I hope this helps a few of us that have problems.

(links above are also sources as to where I got this info from.. It is not my discovery, I just found the fix and wanted to share)

I hope this helps

dumpringz 09-18-2010 09:51 PM

Wirelessly posted (Samsung Epic : Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-us; SPH-D700 Build/ECLAIR) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

mine shows 21% today ... every other time ive checked it i had 3 or 4% ... idk what the deal is with that but im still getting decent battery life