PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Samsung Omnia (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=69)
-   -   Image of Verizon Omnia 2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=86524)

blazingwolf 09-22-2009 08:33 AM

Image of Verizon Omnia 2

Found this through Engadget. Not sure I like the shield compared to the cube.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y18.../vzw_i9200.jpg

Engadget link:
http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/22/v...s-cubic-d-pad/

Omega Ra 09-22-2009 11:05 AM

Re: Image of Verizon Omnia 2

I think I actually prefer the shield, I thought the cube looked kind of dorky. The shield does too, but the cube looked worse IMO.

syanni85 09-22-2009 11:21 AM

the cube had too many corners... no need for a directional pad like that with such a huge screen

blazingwolf 09-22-2009 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by syanni85 (Post 1185262)
the cube had too many corners... no need for a directional pad like that with such a huge screen

The cube and the shield are not a D-Pad. It is a launching button for programs list (can't remember what it is actually called at the moment).

syanni85 09-22-2009 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blazingwolf (Post 1185299)
The cube and the shield are not a D-Pad. It is a launching button for programs list (can't remember what it is actually called at the moment).

oh i see.. thanks for clearing that up... i didn't read too into the omnia2, but also, i find no reason to have a gigantic button for that purpose

nvrmind 09-22-2009 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by syanni85 (Post 1185312)
oh i see.. thanks for clearing that up... i didn't read too into the omnia2, but also, i find no reason to have a gigantic button for that purpose

I think they're trying to make it more iPhoneish...

syanni85 09-22-2009 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nvrmind (Post 1185345)
I think they're trying to make it more iPhoneish...

take a hint from the pre, that button doesn't have to be an eyesore for such a simple task

greenskeeper805 09-22-2009 02:32 PM

Still, the specs are pretty sweet. My bday is coming up end of october, i've been hinting to my wife about it! Although, when VZ releases it, it'll have 6.1 (ugg). Maybe I should wait until Sammy releases a 6.5 update. Then get it. Our Omnia's with custom 6.5 ROM's are running a better UI (IMO).

blazingwolf 09-22-2009 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenskeeper805 (Post 1185729)
Still, the specs are pretty sweet. My bday is coming up end of october, i've been hinting to my wife about it! Although, when VZ releases it, it'll have 6.1 (ugg). Maybe I should wait until Sammy releases a 6.5 update. Then get it. Our Omnia's with custom 6.5 ROM's are running a better UI (IMO).

Why do you think it will have 6.1 on it? Oct. 6 is the WM6.5 launch and Verizon is part of it. Since the Omnia 2 is not out yet there is the possibility for 6.5.

cg83 09-22-2009 03:37 PM

im wondering if it still has the finger mouse

greenskeeper805 09-22-2009 05:52 PM

My thinking is that if it comes with 6.5, it'll be the RTM version without all the 'coolness' of the newest builds. Plus it'd be chalked full of sammy and vz software. You wonderful chefs wouldn't be able to make ROM's for it until a leaked beta ROM or official update was released. If it came with 6.1, they'd probably release an update to 6.5 fairly soon. Just my two cents...or possibly just one cent! :)

the_passenger 09-22-2009 06:50 PM

VZ never has anything up-to-date out of the gate, so it's a no go for WM6.5. I wish I'm wrong though. Also, what good is this phone if we can't have a cooked ROM ?

blazingwolf 09-22-2009 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_passenger (Post 1186306)
VZ never has anything up-to-date out of the gate, so it's a no go for WM6.5. I wish I'm wrong though. Also, what good is this phone if we can't have a cooked ROM ?

You have credible evidence?

cg83 09-22-2009 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_passenger (Post 1186306)

its already been confirmed 6.5 for Omnia 2.

since its comin out after the WM 6.5 update thats why it wont have it on the phone right away.....already been confirmed

brandogg 09-22-2009 11:44 PM

Yeah, so I totally have an e-boner right now. Too bad I've only had my Omnia since April. Maybe I can convince my wife to join my family's plan (my mom has one, I've been on it since I was 17) and get an Omnia 2. She doesn't like my phone, so I could "let it break", and have it replaced with a lesser phone, then make her get the Omnia 2, and swap the activation on them...

rgsekula 09-23-2009 09:11 PM

the in box contents from engadget mentioned a stylus. is it a key-chain again or is there a female slot for the stylus in the phone. not a deal breaker. just curious. never use it anyway.

wifey gave me the green lite :headbang:

edit: is there a front camera too? I see the light sensor on the right, but what is the square black "thing" to the left of the earpiece?
http://erms.samsungelectronics.com/c...920%5B0%5D.jpg

the_passenger 09-30-2009 06:45 PM

Sorry to disappointed you guys but latest rumor has it:

Quote:

Verizon is waiting for Samsung to officially launch it first.
Verizon is looking to launch sometime in mid-October.
It will launch on Verizon with Windows Mobile 6.1.
Windows Mobile 6.5 will be in a ROM update, but not for a while.
The Omnia II is launching elsewhere with Windows Mobile 6.5. <---This stinks
http://www.wmexperts.com/verizon-omn...d-october-wm61

Again, I wish I'm still wrong.
Well, if we have a kitchen for this then no problem.

blazingwolf 09-30-2009 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_passenger (Post 1205251)
Sorry to disappointed you guys but latest rumor has it:

http://www.wmexperts.com/verizon-omn...d-october-wm61

Again, I wish I'm still wrong.
Well, if we have a kitchen for this then no problem.

<sarcasm> Got to love Verizon. <sarcasm>

Let's find another way to piss people off by not doing something that makes sense. Oh well, I guess I shouldn't expect anything less of them. That new HTC device is looking better.

greenskeeper805 09-30-2009 11:44 PM

Which HTC device is that?

brandogg 10-01-2009 01:11 AM

I would guess HTC Leo. Even if that's not what he's talking about, the Leo is awesome.

nerdherd 10-01-2009 02:16 AM

The Leo does look amazingly awesome! I think it might be a little too big for me though :( Imagine a nice cooked ROM on that 1 GHz processor...drool...

blazingwolf 10-01-2009 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenskeeper805 (Post 1205925)
Which HTC device is that?

The HTC Imagio. http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/01/h...-tv-on-octobe/

the_passenger 10-01-2009 12:39 PM

I was waiting for the Omnia 2 just for the OLED screen, but then the TP2 and now I'm thinking about the Imagio. Just need HardSPL and voila custom ROMs. :mrgreen:

pdub73 10-01-2009 03:01 PM

I'm going with the Omnia II, I don't have anything against HTC phones, but I like the fact that Sprint and other carriers won't have it...gives me a small sense of "individuality" I miss the Hardware keyboard but I'm hoping the larger screen on the O2 will cure the problem I have typing the letter "A"... all of Big Red's new WinMo phones seem to be packed with the favorites people loved from their predecessors and corrected some of the things we hated... 3.5mm headphone jack, Mini usb, larger screens, 5mp camera (except TP2) I really don't think u can go wrong with any of them...it comes down to what u like...once the Omnia II is in stores imma play with all of them just to be sure and then buy the Omnia II anyway...lol

P.S. I'm not worried about it not having 6.5 I knew this would be the case from the git....plus the Omnia II UI is supposed to be pretty good we shall see...

greenskeeper805 10-01-2009 04:50 PM

I agree %100! If I don't like the O2's UI, I'll just go with MS3.5.

the_passenger 10-01-2009 09:04 PM

but but but the Omnia doesn't have quad band GSM like the Imagio or TP2. :mrgreen: A big plus if you travel around.

pdub73 10-02-2009 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_passenger (Post 1208098)
but but but the Omnia doesn't have quad band GSM like the Imagio or TP2. :mrgreen: A big plus if you travel around.

Good point...I don't travel much but If I did, I'd be on vacation and not on my phone...

JonV 10-06-2009 12:02 PM

Re: BlazingWolf getting an Imagio?

Quote:

Originally Posted by blazingwolf (Post 1206385)

Wolf, with today's release of the Imagio, are you still with us on the Omnia? :)

The Imagio has its appeal over the Omnia I for sure but I wish I knew a firm release date for the Omnia II. It seems the II's hardware will be ahead of the Imagio but the II's opsys and therefore hacked ROMs will be behind for some time ahead.

I think I've heard just about every rumored date from here to March for the II but nothing firm.

the_passenger 10-07-2009 11:50 AM

I think I'm gonna settle for the Imagio, more HTC custom ROMs than Samsung's. The only problem is I want to see the device, which won't be available for another 2 weeks.

dbol 10-07-2009 01:08 PM

I'm thinking the Motorola Sholes may be my next buy...

blazingwolf 10-07-2009 09:21 PM

A lot of images of the Verizon Omnia 2 found here:

http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/07/s...mobile-6-1-on/

Confirmed to be 6.1. :(

JonV 10-07-2009 11:21 PM

We still do not have a date though, right? Best I hear is "early November" but not sure if that's store or online possible two weeks earlier.

I think samsung's demo site has been updated and the spec page now says 6.5! http://omnia.samsungmobile.com/omnia2/

"Official" facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/SamsungOmnia2

nerdherd 10-08-2009 01:16 AM

Nice find blazingwolf! Those pics are making me want the phone even more!

It's hard to tell from those pictures, but did Verizon add chrome around the front edge of the phone? On the Samsung site it's all black plastic (which looks awesome), but it looks like Verizon "chromed" their phone a little. Maybe it's just strange reflections or bad lighting in those pictures. I sure hope it's all black...

JonV 10-08-2009 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nerdherd (Post 1221965)
Nice find blazingwolf! Those pics are making me want the phone even more!

It's hard to tell from those pictures, but did Verizon add chrome around the front edge of the phone? On the Samsung site it's all black plastic (which looks awesome), but it looks like Verizon "chromed" their phone a little. Maybe it's just strange reflections or bad lighting in those pictures. I sure hope it's all black...

It is indeed chrome and it seems to be getting good buzz from those seeing it at the CTIA show yesterday. Here's a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O302ix312U0

nerdherd 10-08-2009 04:14 PM

As I was complaining in the other thread, even though Verizon has backed away from crippling their phones, they've still managed to mess a few things up on this one. The headphone jack and USB plug were moved from the top to the sides (headphone on the left, USB on the right) and that chrome doesn't look as good as the simple black plastic that the unlocked version has. That's disappointing, but doesn't make me want the phone any less :D

blazingwolf 10-08-2009 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nerdherd (Post 1223415)
As I was complaining in the other thread, even though Verizon has backed away from crippling their phones, they've still managed to mess a few things up on this one. The headphone jack and USB plug were moved from the top to the sides (headphone on the left, USB on the right) and that chrome doesn't look as good as the simple black plastic that the unlocked version has. That's disappointing, but doesn't make me want the phone any less :D

Here is a quote from the Engadget blog that I posted:

Quote:

the good news is that the phone's a darker, more reasonable shade in person than it was in that press shot we'd seen before
Don't make rush judgments from terrible photos and videos. You might be surprised.

nerdherd 10-08-2009 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blazingwolf (Post 1223458)
Here is a quote from the Engadget blog that I posted:

Don't make rush judgments from terrible photos and videos. You might be surprised.

True, the color does look much better than the press shot. And I hope it's as close to black as possible. Still, the headphone jack repositioning is kind of annoying. But I guess the solution to that is to buy headphones that have a 90 degree plug. So, all in all this is still awesome! Now I just want to hear some kind of specific release date...

GrandMasterB 10-11-2009 12:08 AM

The cube was semi-ugly but the shield is completely unacceptable. That button is supposed to lauch the 'cube' so the cube shaped button made sense , not a shield. What are they thinking? I am sorely dissapointed :(

bornl33t 10-11-2009 02:39 AM

If every thing said here is true some thing doesn't jive...

vzw is releasing phones with 6.5 preloaded as of last week. IF the omnia is going to have 6.1 then samsung has got to be pissed? I mean why would the average joe buy a 6.1 when a 6.5 is out? Secondly if it is 6.1 then why isn't it out yet? If the answer to this is that the o2 needs to meet vzw's specs and it's taking samsung this long to make vzw happy then I feel it's safe to assume that 6.5 either won't happen or when it does then the o2 will be soon replaced by the next great phone. Look at the omnia, it took vzw until AFTER the news of the o2 coming to vzw to release the GPS fix....

Either way, VZW has taught me patience, I'll wait till it has 6.5 till I jump on the boat....That or I may just skip this one....

JClishe 10-12-2009 07:29 AM

I have it on extremely good authority that Omnia II will be shipping with 6.5.