PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2009, 09:34 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia i910
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

mzimmer74 is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Speed up the GPS a bit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpc0480 View Post
How are you guys even happy with this GPS? So far this is my only complaint with this phone. I switched from a Touch Pro and as far as performance the Omnia smokes it. The only problem I'm having is getting GPS to lock. I did the update and a hard reset, re-formatted "My Storage" and it still takes Google Maps between 5-10 minutes to pick up a sat. Is there something I'm missing? I've tried changing the GPS stettings in Google Maps from "Manage by Windows" to the COM 8 and 57600 and both take forever to lock. My Touch Pro would at least lock within 10-15 seconds...
This seems to be a problem for some people, but I don't know if anybody has figured out an exact reason why. Personally, I'm very happy with my GPS as I usually get a lock in under 30 seconds. My TomTom can take 1-2 minutes (since I rarely use it so the battery is always discharged and has to find the satellites anew). I'm sorry I can't tell you why it's happening to you, but that's why so many of us are happy with the GPS...it works well for us.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:31 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia i910
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Solange82200 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSolange82200 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSolange82200 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

I was ok with it for a while, even though I hardly ever get a lock indoors and some areas where I live. Last night my brother, who has the Storm, was in my room and we both fired up google maps. Low and behold he got a lock putting him in our house in a couple of seconds. Mine couldnt get a lock inside at ALL, except for the within 1000 meters crappy lock that it gives you now with the new rom release. Someone had said that the gps chip in the Omnia isnt as good as some other phones, like the Iphone, and at first it didnt bother me that much. But seeing my brother's storm do that and reading comments from people with other phones who say they get much better gps than the Omnia is the last straw for me, it really bothers me. Why did they have to crap out on the gps chip when so many other phones dont?????
Old 08-11-2009, 05:22 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Omnia 910
Carrier: Verizon
Threadstarter

jazaddict is just getting started

What I've found out lately is this:
I too used Googlemaps to "spool up" the GPS to the tune of 10 seconds to NOt At All.
BAF GPS toggle has solve this & works VERY nicely.....AS LONG AS you aren't running Titanium.....BAF won't run there.
So...I just stumbled into BlazingWolf's MS3 (SPB Mobile Shell) which, in addition to being zippy and solid, has BAF on the front page. I've been educated on how to pop in & out of MS (I'm a proud newbie of that fabulous interface) where I turn GPS on...it seems to lock in seconds....then the rest of my GPS Apps lock instantly.
I turn it off when I m done to preserve battery life.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:59 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Droid Incredible

jpc0480 is becoming a great contributor

Ok so I have been looking all over the F'ing place and have come across this post: http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showpost.p...&postcount=157

I've since downloaded it and installed it to my device and run the update and now get a cold lock in 10-15 seconds and warm is just about instantly. Before it would take 5-10 minutes cold and about 5 min warm. Plus before I would only pick up about 2-3 sats in Google Maps and 0 in Igo8 and now am getting 6-8 constant. Very nice and am now happy with the GPS!!

Thanks goes to Adrynalyne! What awesome work!

Last edited by jpc0480; 08-11-2009 at 10:01 PM.
Old 08-12-2009, 04:13 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: i910

fuzzer is a n00b

Question for Jazaddict:
you said "I just stumbled into BlazingWolf's MS3 (SPB Mobile Shell) which, in addition to being zippy and solid, has BAF on the front page"....where is this?

TIA
Old 08-12-2009, 04:28 PM
Я да не ми фъфлиш, бе!
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

Eschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributionsEschelon should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzer View Post
Question for Jazaddict:
you said "I just stumbled into BlazingWolf's MS3 (SPB Mobile Shell) which, in addition to being zippy and solid, has BAF on the front page"....where is this?

TIA
Go into Settings -> System -> Today -> Items tab, and make sure 'Windows Default' (also known as Titanium) is unchecked and that 'BAF GPS Toggle' is checked. Then go to the 'Today' screen On the main SPB screen click the bottom right icon, then select 'Show Today'. You'll see it there
Old 08-12-2009, 04:31 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Omnia 910
Threadstarter

jazaddict is just getting started

fuzzer,
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=75216
If you haven't purchased SPB Mobile Shell (and don't intend to) you'd wanna pick one of his other ROMs....or buy Mobile Shell...I did...well worth the $29. Great interface. For that matter...once you enter the OMNIA forum, check out the UPGRADES sub-forum separated up at the top. There's Adrynaliyne's ROM available there as well. Having tried both I'm happy as stated.

jpc0480...
I found that thread too..AFTER I posted this thread. Since I've got BAF workin so well I'm leavin well-enough alone...though I DID bookmark that into my hip pocket for future ref if necessary

GPS is wonderful....when you get it rollin.
Old 08-12-2009, 07:24 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: i910

fuzzer is a n00b

Already purchased SPB Mobile Shell...just looking for a way to put GPS toggle on one of the start screens.....

thanks
Old 08-12-2009, 09:52 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: samsung omnia
Carrier: verizon wireless

mtnbiker9 is a n00b

a minute seems to be about right for a gps lock.. i have a garmin edge 305 for my bicycle, and that even takes at least one minute to lock.
Old 08-13-2009, 03:28 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Droid Incredible

jpc0480 is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazaddict View Post
fuzzer,
jpc0480...
I found that thread too..AFTER I posted this thread. Since I've got BAF workin so well I'm leavin well-enough alone...though I DID bookmark that into my hip pocket for future ref if necessary

GPS is wonderful....when you get it rollin.
Yes it is!!!
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia