PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Development > ROM/Kitchen Development
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-24-2007, 11:15 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC SuperSonic
Carrier: Sprint

Glossman knows their stuffGlossman knows their stuffGlossman knows their stuffGlossman knows their stuffGlossman knows their stuffGlossman knows their stuffGlossman knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
PPCGeeks Unified ROM Project: Task 1 (PROJECT TEAM ONLY)

SINCE THIS IS AN OFFICIAL PROJECT "WORK" THREAD, PLEASE DO NOT RESPOND IF YOU ARE NOT A MEMBER OF THE UNIFIED ROM PROJECT TEAM. FEEL FREE TO START A NEW THREAD, OR PM ME IF YOU WANT TO COMMENT ON WORK DONE HERE.

Task 1 involves the selection of the base 3.5 ROM. During the planning phases, two ideas emerged for choosing a ROM: Selecting the "cleanest" ROM from all of those available, or starting with a brand new kitchen.

If an existing ROM is chosen, here is the likely process:

The team, led by the ROM Analysts, would begin looking at every existing 3.5 ROM. A list would be compiled of all known defects for each ROM. The best to way to this is to scour the boards, as well as discuss it with the author. Since many of the ROM authors are team members, it will be helpful if they "share their bugs" with the analysts. Once we have a good picture of all the ROMs in the wild, a choice can be made.

If we start with a brand new ROM, we'll still need to catalog the defects, but we would be in complete control of it's contents and can document every change along the way. This method will likely take longer than the other, but I believe it also ensures the best quality.

The choice is yours. Existing 3.5 ROM or brand new 3.5 ROM?

I will create Project Task 2 once a decision is made on how to proceed.

Audiovox Thera-Samsung i700-Verizon PPC 6600-Sprint 6700-Sprint Mogul-Sprint Touch-HTC Touch Diamond-HTC Hero-HTC SuperSonic (EVO)

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Development > ROM/Kitchen Development