PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2009, 10:56 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Verizon XV6850 (HTC Touch pro)
Carrier: Verizon

JWhipple is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
HTC Touch Pro versus Samsung Omnia

Ok guys,

I'm starting to second guess myself here, as I do after many purchases. I bought my Omnia less than a month ago and am now looking at the Touch Pro because of the slide-out keyboard.

Can anyone tell me the benefits of the Omnia over the HTC Touch Pro , based on first hand experiences?

Or vice versa?

I'm curious to hear what everyone thinks!

Thanks!
Old 02-17-2009, 11:17 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Evo Shift
Carrier: Sprint SEP 4G

elmerfudpucker knows their stuffelmerfudpucker knows their stuffelmerfudpucker knows their stuffelmerfudpucker knows their stuffelmerfudpucker knows their stuffelmerfudpucker knows their stuffelmerfudpucker knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to elmerfudpucker
Re: HTC Touch Pro versus Samsung Omnia

I love the tv out and the keyboard on my TP, But the Omnia seems a bit faster plus a 5 mega pix camera. I love the screen and size of the Omnia, but not having the keyboard was the deal breaker for me.
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
Old 02-17-2009, 11:21 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Do you find that the TP is "Sluggish"? I read the Cnet review and that word really hit a nerve...

BTW, the 5MP camera isn't all that great in my opinion... The photos look great if you resize them down, but at the original resolution they look pretty grainy.

Does the TP have a "Flash" for the camera?
Old 02-17-2009, 11:30 AM
Very Important Person
Pocket PC: HTC Hero
Carrier: Sprint

ruskiyab is still contributing even after becoming a VIPruskiyab is still contributing even after becoming a VIPruskiyab is still contributing even after becoming a VIPruskiyab is still contributing even after becoming a VIPruskiyab is still contributing even after becoming a VIPruskiyab is still contributing even after becoming a VIPruskiyab is still contributing even after becoming a VIPruskiyab is still contributing even after becoming a VIPruskiyab is still contributing even after becoming a VIPruskiyab is still contributing even after becoming a VIPruskiyab is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhipple View Post
Do you find that the TP is "Sluggish"? I read the Cnet review and that word really hit a nerve...

BTW, the 5MP camera isn't all that great in my opinion... The photos look great if you resize them down, but at the original resolution they look pretty grainy.

Yes it does. The one thing I did not like about the Omnia is the inability to reflash roms. My buddy has one and he is constantly complaining about how slow it is
Old 02-17-2009, 11:37 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Thank you - good info!

Anyone else? I'm looking for anything/everything that I can get here!

I've googled and found nothing good as far as a head to head comparison between the two phones.

If you know of one, please, point me in the right direction! I need the good/bad/ugly of either!
Old 02-17-2009, 12:16 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: rooted DroidX/leaked 2.2

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:

Not really. It does have kind of a lame led setup that you have to turn on manually which hardly qualifies as a "flash" in camera terms......

It does add slightly more light to your subject, but half the time it ruins the exposure so it's really not all that useful.

~John
Old 02-17-2009, 12:21 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: rooted DroidX/leaked 2.2

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community

By the way, if there where custom ROM's available for the Omnia I would buy one in a heartbeat. I have three Sprint TouchPro's that I flashed & activated on Verizon service.

I love the TP's, but I never use the hardware keyboard (I use TouchPal in T9+) & I would LOVE to have the bigger Omnia screen (I would love to have a TP with an Iphone screen), but the total lack of custom ROM's etc is an absolute deal killer for me.........

~John
Old 02-17-2009, 01:55 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Wow this is really a tough call...

No consistancy in reviews anywhere I read them.

Reading reviews on Cnet for the Touch Pro, the reason that it's ratings are so low is that there are some people who are whining about less memory and no GPS (which of course has been worked around) that gave it zero to 1 star... and there are others who love the phone who gave it 5 stars but still complained about the memory loss and lack of GPS.

No consistancy.

On InfoSynchWorld, their review for the Touch Pro was higher than the XV6900 and the Omnia, and I loved the XV6900 (other than the cracks in the casing!).

Guess I'll wait for more feedback to come in and maybe sleep on it.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:20 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

I guess I ought to give this some closure I went with the Touch Pro - couldn't be happier!

With the stock Verizon ROM it was a TOTAL DOG, but after putting on the SSK 1.5 ROM, it's right where I want it!
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:44 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

x10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
I guess I ought to give this some closure I went with the Touch Pro - couldn't be happier!

With the stock Verizon ROM it was a TOTAL DOG, but after putting on the SSK 1.5 ROM, it's right where I want it!
That is because VZN cripples it by putting considerable less memory on it than compared to other Touch Pro from other carriers. Many on VZN have used a "Sprint" TP and flashed it to work on the VZN network.

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison