PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison

Notices

View Poll Results: How does your TP compare to your Mogul?
My Mogul was more stable (less buggy) than my TP. 18 13.04%
My TP is more solid (less buggy) than my Mogul ever was. 101 73.19%
Both are about the same. 19 13.77%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2009, 08:45 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: T7380 Touch Pro 2 <-6850 <-6800 <- 6700 <- 6600...
Carrier: Sprint

wavezero knows their stuffwavezero knows their stuffwavezero knows their stuffwavezero knows their stuffwavezero knows their stuffwavezero knows their stuffwavezero knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
How does your TP compare to your Mogul?

I assume the majority of us here came from the Mogul, and I'm curious how your old Mogul compared to your TP. My Mogul was the most solid PPC I've had. Sure the ram sucked, but it had very few if any "bugs". While I love my TP and wouldn't trade back for anything, it seems to be much more finicky.

What are your thoughts?
Old 02-10-2009, 09:07 PM
morsus mihi
Pocket PC: iPhone 4
Carrier: AT&T

schettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Re: How does your TP compare to your Mogul?

It grows on you (the TP)

I can still remember hating the mogul for the first month after it replaced my Apache.

I'm thinking the TP is the same. First thing you need to unlearn is the pathological need to close every app when you are done. Oddly enough, its way faster to leave mail and opera and any other app you use more then a couple times a day open.

Then there's the whole "WTF are the BUTTONS" thing. The mogul one handed meant everything had a button. The TP means putting your finger right on the screen. Yes, you need to touch it. Go ahead, touch it!

For me, week 3 just starting, it's beginning to feel like a phone I will like.

And the battery life still sucks. Although if you don't use it at all standby time is pretty good. I've been busy today, no playing with it, and its just burning 2%/hour like it should.

I think if I had to use my mogul now, it would be very hard to use.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:13 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC EVO™ 3D

furiousgtz is keeping up the good workfuriousgtz is keeping up the good workfuriousgtz is keeping up the good work

I loved my Mogul with custom rom its perfect device.

Touch Pro totally different animal sure the battery is not same as Mogul but after couple replacement finally got good phone. I agree with schettj I leave few apps open like skype, opera and my outlook and still has good performance.

The other day I was playing with my friends Mogul and it was like I was holding huge brick.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:24 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro

neodorian is becoming a PPCGeeks regularneodorian is becoming a PPCGeeks regularneodorian is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Nicer screen and less memory issues. There is still some tweaking to be done to get it just the way I want it but overall it's a nice incremental upgrade. They sent me mine as a replacement for a dying Mogul so I did not pay full price. I would not have paid full price for a Pro with all the new devices on the horizon but I am glad to have it. It looks much nicer and operates more smoothly thanks to somewhat better specs and a nicer touch screen.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:30 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

kevinb13 is just getting started
Send a message via AIM to kevinb13

I had the Mogul for a little over a year. At first, not coming from a PPC, the slowness of the Mogul didn't get to me too bad. I enjoyed flaunting it off in front of my friends and wife... that is until she got the Diamond! Obviously it was her turn to rub it in my face, and her Diamond simply ran circles around my Mogul, what really got me was using the phone. Just to make a simple phone call was so frustrating, especially when in a hurry, waiting for the dial pad to play catch-up.

Luckily Asurion sent me 2 horrible replacements and decided to make up for their lack of quality control with a brand new TP! I love this thing so much, coming from a Mogul I have come to appreciate the dial pad above all things. To top it all off, now that I have my TP, my wife is jealous once again!

I got the TP and will never look back.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:32 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: T7380 Touch Pro 2 <-6850 <-6800 <- 6700 <- 6600...
Threadstarter

wavezero knows their stuffwavezero knows their stuffwavezero knows their stuffwavezero knows their stuffwavezero knows their stuffwavezero knows their stuffwavezero knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by schettj View Post
It grows on you (the TP)

I can still remember hating the mogul for the first month after it replaced my Apache.

I'm thinking the TP is the same. First thing you need to unlearn is the pathological need to close every app when you are done. Oddly enough, its way faster to leave mail and opera and any other app you use more then a couple times a day open.

Then there's the whole "WTF are the BUTTONS" thing. The mogul one handed meant everything had a button. The TP means putting your finger right on the screen. Yes, you need to touch it. Go ahead, touch it!

For me, week 3 just starting, it's beginning to feel like a phone I will like.

And the battery life still sucks. Although if you don't use it at all standby time is pretty good. I've been busy today, no playing with it, and its just burning 2%/hour like it should.

I think if I had to use my mogul now, it would be very hard to use.
Yeah, I've had my TP from day one (ordered on Nov 19th) and I'm just now getting over the ocd habit of closing out all the applications.

Don't get me wrong, I love my TP, but it's much more buggy than my mogul ever was. I think I hit the lotto with a clean mogul as the poll at the top seems to indicate.

My TP has a number of small bugs, nothing horrendous, just small annoyances. Location icon won't go away when turned off, ignore button won't work with active data connection etc. Again, nothing cripling, just annoying.

I definately think the TP is a far superior device.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:38 PM
*SCREEEEEECH*
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2

EtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuff

The Touch Pro is hands down MILES above the Mogul... I don't even think they should be compared.

Comcast EXTREME:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/584166480.png
Old 02-10-2009, 10:17 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

apex seals is becoming a great contributor

It doesnt compare to the mogul at all

im on my 5th TP and they all have issues

1st one, came from best buy, bought it on day of release(oct 26) with possibly the worst sound quality i have ever heard. speakerphone or handset

2nd one, exchange from BB, sound quality was louder, but still horrible in comparison to the mogul. SIt sounded like i was using one of these , also had a scratching sound anytime the keyboard was exposed via slide.

3rd one, last exchange through best buy(30th day).. sounds like garbage (still). Again, all tweaks applied, audio para, diamond hack, etc.., still a no go, the home button was easily 1/8th of an inch above the all the chrome, screen started to F-up randomly then all of a sudden went completely dead, no hard reset would fix it.

4th one, went to sprint, was given a refurb, argued i should be given a new one but they would not authorize it. I opened it in the store, activated it and had the manager make the firstcall. She agreed too that the sound was horrible but said there was nothing more they could do for me, not even give me another refurb!

5th one(current), called sprint a day after phone 4, had them read notes, they marked a brand new TP down to $1 and sold it to me. It came in and has sound quality of a 12 year old phone. build date is late december. To make it worse, the radio signal would hit 1 bar to 5 bars almost everywhere i went until i figured out i was having radio issues a week later, (gf complained i was rejecting her calls). Installed hard-SPL and flashed to a verizon radio and have much better signal. Now i have phone 4 and 5 in my posession and they both suck in terms of call quality. If i run thinkAnywhere for about 1 hour the battery dies on phone 5

The mogul gets an A but the pro gets an F

the mogul sat in standby for amost 3 weeks before the battery died while i was getting phones 4 and 5

and to top it off, i spent weeks in between these phones waiting for them to be in stock again!

The worst thing my Mogul had was a white spot on the screen

Last edited by apex seals; 02-10-2009 at 10:38 PM.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:13 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

kennyidaho is becoming a great contributor

I am annoyed by how when the keyboard is closed the screen slides around a bit. I miss the hardware buttons of the mogul. It would help if the keyboard had a start and an okay key. The nubs on the F & J keys could be better defined as well. I really have to nit pick to find things about this phone that I do not like.

Sound wise I would rate this as the best sounding device I have ever had; the callers are perfectly clear and loud. No one complains about how I sound - not even with bluetooth or speaker phone.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:28 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo

izzyforreal is just getting started

At first I thought my Mogul was a much more reliable device, but things are getting better for my TP. I'm going to make a shameless plug here...since I've loaded MightyRom 4.93 this thing has been awesome. I can't remember the last time I did a soft reset. Yes, battery life sucks, but you can deal with that. I've got chargers on every floor of my house, 2 in my car and another at work, plus a spare battery. I do want to second something someone else said though; I don't like the sloppiness between the top and the bottom sections. The Mogul was much sturdier in that regard.

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison