PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2009, 06:08 PM
.:DoWorkSon:.
Pocket PC: .:OD:.Incredible:.DroidX:.iPhone4:.ThunderBolt:.
Carrier: Verizon

GrandMasterB is a VIPGrandMasterB is a VIPGrandMasterB is a VIPGrandMasterB is a VIPGrandMasterB is a VIPGrandMasterB is a VIPGrandMasterB is a VIPGrandMasterB is a VIPGrandMasterB is a VIPGrandMasterB is a VIPGrandMasterB is a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via MSN to GrandMasterB
HTC Touch Pro or stick with the Samsung i910

Hello all, I am a recent convert from Blackkberry 8330 to the Verizon Samsung Omnia i910. I have had the Omnia for a little over 1 week now and am well within my 30 return if desired. I used to have 3 different 2003 PPC's a while back so I am somewhat familiar with Windows Mobile but it has been a few years........

When I first got my Omnia I was really impressed with the design , and still am, its a beautiful phone. BUT I wasnt all that impressed with the UI and I terribly missed my BlackBerry at first. However after reading up on some registry tweaks , and finding the Manila 2D , I really REALLY like this phone with a few exeptions which are leaning me towards exchanging for the HTC Touch Pro.

1-TP has a REAL Keyboard. Omnias Touch QWERTY works pretty dang good but can never be as efficient as a real keyboard and I terribly miss having a "real" keyboard.

2-TP Screen Resolution is SO much crisper than the Omnia. The Omnias resolution is OK, but I went to the local Alltel store and played with their TP ,as we don't have any Verizon stores locally, and the Touch Pros display and presentaion is leagues better than the Omnia. Now It really bothers me that the Omnias resolution is so low...........

3- Touchflow 3D, I have Touchflow 2D running on my Omnia and it's amazing , way WAY better than the Omnias UI but Touchflow 3D would be even better above and beyond the TF2D mimicked on my Omnia now , yeah?

4-Stylus Silo , the Omnia not having a place to store the stylus is rediculous. And the TPs is magnetic to boot!

The only reasons I hesitate exchanging the Omnia for the Touch Pro is because of;

1- Battery life , I can barely make it through the day with the Omnias battery and the Touch Pros battery is rated for even less use???

2-Landscape , the Touch Pro only works in Landsacpe for internet , pics and vids. Is this as annoying as it sounds it would be?

3-Lack of memory on the Verizon Touch Pro compared to other carriers. Although I was told by a Verizon Employee that the 96 mb is still included the phone it is just allocated to Video Memory and can be freed by a ROM flash or something. Is this true? If not is the less memory a real problem? I know the Omnia only has 128mb and its pretty peppy , so the 192mb on the Touch Pro is even better, right?

4- Frankly the HTC Pro on Verizon is U G L Y! Granted I'm sure you get used to it and I wouldn't not buy a good phone based on its Visual appeal , but the Verizon TP is so Stripped looking and the Omnia is damned sexy IMHO.

We are headed up North next week for Doctors appointment and there are LOTS of Verizon stores up that way. SO I would like to have made up my mind by then to exchange it if thats what I decide to do.

Thanks for any and all input, I greatly appreciate your time!

Last edited by GrandMasterB; 02-04-2009 at 06:10 PM.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:40 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: htc diamond
Carrier: vzw

creedin is keeping up the good workcreedin is keeping up the good workcreedin is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to creedin Send a message via MSN to creedin
Re: HTC Touch Pro or stick with the Samsung i910

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandMasterB View Post
Hello all, I am a recent convert from Blackkberry 8330 to the Verizon Samsung Omnia i910. I have had the Omnia for a little over 1 week now and am well within my 30 return if desired. I used to have 3 different 2003 PPC's a while back so I am somewhat familiar with Windows Mobile but it has been a few years........

When I first got my Omnia I was really impressed with the design , and still am, its a beautiful phone. BUT I wasnt all that impressed with the UI and I terribly missed my BlackBerry at first. However after reading up on some registry tweaks , and finding the Manila 2D , I really REALLY like this phone with a few exeptions which are leaning me towards exchanging for the HTC Touch Pro.

1-TP has a REAL Keyboard. Omnias Touch QWERTY works pretty dang good but can never be as efficient as a real keyboard and I terribly miss having a "real" keyboard.

it is useful if you use it

2-TP Screen Resolution is SO much crisper than the Omnia. The Omnias resolution is OK, but I went to the local Alltel store and played with their TP ,as we don't have any Verizon stores locally, and the Touch Pros display and presentaion is leagues better than the Omnia. Now It really bothers me that the Omnias resolution is so low...........

3- Touchflow 3D, I have Touchflow 2D running on my Omnia and it's amazing , way WAY better than the Omnias UI but Touchflow 3D would be even better above and beyond the TF2D mimicked on my Omnia now , yeah?

yes, much smoother and more options, much sexier too

4-Stylus Silo , the Omnia not having a place to store the stylus is rediculous. And the TPs is magnetic to boot!

The only reasons I hesitate exchanging the Omnia for the Touch Pro is because of;

1- Battery life , I can barely make it through the day with the Omnias battery and the Touch Pros battery is rated for even less use???

if you are a heavy data user youd need a second battery or a bigger battery. if not, only telephone and texts, you shouldn't have a problem

2-Landscape , the Touch Pro only works in Landsacpe for internet , pics and vids. Is this as annoying as it sounds it would be?

not true, pictures, internet, some vids (depends on what you want, wide or not) all work in portrait

3-Lack of memory on the Verizon Touch Pro compared to other carriers. Although I was told by a Verizon Employee that the 96 mb is still included the phone it is just allocated to Video Memory and can be freed by a ROM flash or something. Is this true? If not is the less memory a real problem? I know the Omnia only has 128mb and its pretty peppy , so the 192mb on the Touch Pro is even better, right?

i hated the verizon one, i bought a sprint phone and love it, but find myself never using the hard keyboard so I am getting rid of it hint hint wink wink

4- Frankly the HTC Pro on Verizon is U G L Y! Granted I'm sure you get used to it and I wouldn't not buy a good phone based on its Visual appeal , but the Verizon TP is so Stripped looking and the Omnia is damned sexy IMHO.

sprint.

We are headed up North next week for Doctors appointment and there are LOTS of Verizon stores up that way. SO I would like to have made up my mind by then to exchange it if thats what I decide to do.

Thanks for any and all input, I greatly appreciate your time!
added my info in red, pm me for more questions
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 02-10-2009, 12:18 AM
.:DoWorkSon:.
Pocket PC: .:OD:.Incredible:.DroidX:.iPhone4:.ThunderBolt:.
Carrier: Verizon
Threadstarter

GrandMasterB is a VIPGrandMasterB is a VIPGrandMasterB is a VIPGrandMasterB is a VIPGrandMasterB is a VIPGrandMasterB is a VIPGrandMasterB is a VIPGrandMasterB is a VIPGrandMasterB is a VIPGrandMasterB is a VIPGrandMasterB is a VIP
Send a message via MSN to GrandMasterB
Re: HTC Touch Pro or stick with the Samsung i910

Hey buddy , thanks for the input. Turns out the Verizon Touch Pro is an online only thing and cannot be purchased or modeled in store. So I finally just got frustrated and ordered one from Telesales this morning , be here Wednesday

This way I figure I can try them both out for a couple of weeks and then send them both back and get the Storm! LOL JK

SO if you no longer desire the keyboard on your TP then you should send the keyboard to me and I'll see if I can mount it on my Omnia??? LOL JK yet again....

Seriously though what phone are you selling your Touch Pro in favor of?

Thanks for your time!

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison