PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2007, 08:58 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: touch
Carrier: sprint

user13 is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Mogul or Touch??

Ok Guys I really need some help. I have searched the forms and read everything I could find on this issue but I am still undecided. Im on day 28 of my new contract for sprint with the Mogul and i am on the fence of whether I should exchange it for the touch while I still can. Im wondering if the extra memory will really make a difference being that I rarely have more than a few program open at a time. The size of the touch is also a perk. Although I don't think I would use the touch flow, so thats not a biggy for me.

I rarely use the keyboard or the wifi with the mogul but both are always good to have, since you might never no when they could be of use. I also never use blue tooth so any problems with it don't matter to me. I was also thinking with total protection insurance on my phone, in the future if anything would happen to my mogul i would likely receive the upgraded version for the phone(w.e that might be, Hopefully Titan 2) after they discontinue it, especially since it is very hard to fix in a store. The mogul is also selling for about the same the touch is on eBay so I am guessing the Mogul will have more value in the long run since its been out for longer.

Btw will the Touch also receive rev A and GPS in early Q1 2008?

In any case I am overall pretty happy with the mogul esp since i flashed rom 2.17.

Thanks Alot!

Last edited by user13; 12-12-2007 at 09:15 PM.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:14 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Mogul
Carrier: Sprint

supark is a n00b
If I were you I'd just process a return now on the mogul and buy an touch - wait on returning the mogul and if you decide to keep the touch you're in the clear. The touch has been given an unfair rap I think in reviews - the interface isn't as user friendly as the iphone, but one of the biggest criticisms is the lack of a very usable keyboard - which given the open nature of the phone is easily rectified by a few different alternative keypads. If you hardly use the keyboard on the mogul, I'd think the touch would be a great choice. I hardly ever use wifi on my mogul - but I am a heavy texter, so I absolutely need a real keyboard.

Last edited by supark; 12-12-2007 at 09:18 PM.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:15 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: evo

grbspecb is a n00b
I just made the switch from Mogul to Touch. I don't think I will look back, I like I can keep lots of programs open, and the Touch is always quick. If you see yourself turning the mogul into the Touch then maybe switch.

I would not rely on getting the new version of the phone if you break yours as if that can/does occur it will be a couple of years away and something better will be out. Not a good thing to rely on.

If you have specific questions ask and I will answer, I posted some of my results of switching on a different thread so I would search for that thread.

I don't know about Rev a there is a thread on that. The bluetooth between the Touch and Mogul is like night and day though. Almost like the Touch has real bluetooth and the Mogul has something that was thrown together at the last minute.
Old 12-13-2007, 02:11 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

leetsauce is just getting started
I received my Touch from Sprint today, and here's what I have to say:

-The extra RAM doesn't seem to make that big of a difference.
Okay, sure, I can run 20 applications without much lag, but what's the real point in that? I was already used to closing the apps I wasn't using with the Mogul (thus freeing up RAM for apps that needed it), so the extra RAM now seems redundant. I placed the Touch and Mogul side to side, and the Mogul was actually a bit faster at loading the Today screen from sleep mode.

-The lack of a hard keyboard gives the Touch a completely different experience.
I used the Mogul keyboard a lot. I thought the software keyboards on the Touch would make fine substitutes; I was wrong. There is nothing like typing on the Mogul's hard keyboard. If you text a lot, or you can't live without a good keyboard, do NOT go for the Touch. Keep your Mogul.

-The only real good thing about the Touch is the form factor.
Really. Compared to the Mogul, the Touch is at least 30% smaller, 20% lighter, and has a screen twice as bright. There is an extra layer between the surface and the touch screen, so even with the stylus, pressing the screen requires a bit more pressure than with the Mogul.

I'm not sure if I will keep the Touch or stay with the Mogul. I will give it a few days before I decide.
Old 12-13-2007, 02:48 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

CDRacingZX6R is a n00b
I can't live with touch screen only. I had the Iphone, and sold it to order a mogul. I'm still waiting on the mogul, but the mere thought of going back to a touch only screen and trying to text or post in forums makes me want to kill myself.
Old 12-13-2007, 03:04 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Epic 4G

gxnext is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargxnext is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargxnext is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargxnext is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargxnext is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via ICQ to gxnext Send a message via AIM to gxnext Send a message via MSN to gxnext Send a message via Yahoo to gxnext Send a message via Skype™ to gxnext
Quote:
Originally Posted by supark View Post
If I were you I'd just process a return now on the mogul and buy an touch - wait on returning the mogul and if you decide to keep the touch you're in the clear. The touch has been given an unfair rap I think in reviews - the interface isn't as user friendly as the iphone, but one of the biggest criticisms is the lack of a very usable keyboard - which given the open nature of the phone is easily rectified by a few different alternative keypads. If you hardly use the keyboard on the mogul, I'd think the touch would be a great choice. I hardly ever use wifi on my mogul - but I am a heavy texter, so I absolutely need a real keyboard.
lol im not surprised that ppl are still on the fence about this.....but i can't agree with supark more.... well maybe not on buyin a touch just to test then return... ugh i know i wouldn't lol :P but thats just cuz im cheap right now lol but its still good advice... you really need to test it out and get a real feel for it to know which is for you.... i like them both... ugh i can't believe im still talking about this lol..... you apparently already know all the differences... pros and cons.... I think you have a good idea of what to expect ether way.... I got my mogul threw insurance , and I expect to get a upgrade ether when i switch to sero or insurance once its discontinued... lol......... i hope your happy with whatever you end up doing... i completely understand your dilemma......... about 90% of us on this site have been there.... btw I got a touch for my gf and prolly use it as much as she does... u know.. just to keep her up to date with the latest and greatest.... and u know... to say hi to it n stuff lol

Last edited by gxnext; 12-13-2007 at 03:22 AM.
Old 12-13-2007, 03:17 AM
Regular 'Geeker

gxnext is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargxnext is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargxnext is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargxnext is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargxnext is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via ICQ to gxnext Send a message via AIM to gxnext Send a message via MSN to gxnext Send a message via Yahoo to gxnext Send a message via Skype™ to gxnext
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDRacingZX6R View Post
I can't live with touch screen only. I had the Iphone, and sold it to order a mogul. I'm still waiting on the mogul, but the mere thought of going back to a touch only screen and trying to text or post in forums makes me want to kill myself.
ok i just though about this.... and i feel i need to mention it and also to touch base with what CD said..... because i feel... it hasn't been mentioned much... and most people over look it.... i want to begin by saying... the touch IS more reliable than the mogul in my experience (If YOU ARE NOT EXPERIENCED WITH WM OR JUST PLAIN NOT TECH SAVVY) BECAUSE of the HIGHER RAM.... ok THAT has been said plenty of times... and Iv said it plenty of times....

now to touch base with what CDRacingZX6R said because I feel they made a good point
... the TOUCH does NOT have a left and right hard button.... now its unusual but SOME windows mobile software is NOT touch screen compatible.... and is IN FACT..... in some cases.... USELESS without the left and right hardkeys..... for example...... cingulars music id (wich u can get around on somewhat... enough to id a song with the D-PAD) or emulators.... lucky this is not the norm... just food for thought .... that said.... choose wisely.

why the BOLD LETTERS? lol I donno..... kinda important if u didn't know tho... thos buttons r sometimes MANDATORY is alllz im sayinnnnn.

ill put it like this.. if ur usually good with technology and already have alot of experience with windows mobile then u can handel the moguls ram... which is its only down fall in my opinion.... i'v never had a problem with bluetooth.... i make calls and listen to music via bt all the time. and never had the roaming issues ether.... the touch is better for the less savvy... IN MY OPINION (its actually fact im just trying to be nice lol)... not to say if you get the touch that your not savvy... only that you NEEED to be somewhat savvy to enjoy the mogul.... i can't wait till something like (or better than) the att tilt comes out for cdma... that would solve this dilemma for most

Last edited by gxnext; 12-13-2007 at 04:04 AM.
Old 12-13-2007, 05:23 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: touch
Threadstarter

user13 is just getting started
I do agree with you, and i do really like the mogul, i haven't seen 1 low memory screen yet because i do manage it well. So I think the extra memory wouldn't make that big of a deal for me. I just don't want to regret my decision later on. But now im starting to lean toward to mogul.

Does anyone know if the Touch will have Rev A and Gps enabled in Q1 for sure? I cant find a sure answer on this.

And will the Mogul get Sprint Tv or is that just a Rumor?

Thanks Guys
Old 12-13-2007, 06:22 AM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by user13 View Post
I do agree with you, and i do really like the mogul, i haven't seen 1 low memory screen yet because i do manage it well. So I think the extra memory wouldn't make that big of a deal for me. I just don't want to regret my decision later on. But now im starting to lean toward to mogul.

Does anyone know if the Touch will have Rev A and Gps enabled in Q1 for sure? I cant find a sure answer on this.

And will the Mogul get Sprint Tv or is that just a Rumor?

Thanks Guys
Both the mogul and the touch have been advertised by sprint to be revision A upgradeable... it says it as one of the saleing points when you view the phones on sprints website.... as far as gps you've upgraded to 2.17 so you know about the moguls promised upgrade for gps already... but this is widely presumed to be A-gps and not gps, in short meaning the gps is assisted by cellphone towers... it also widely assumed the touch will have the same a-gps enablement but I never seen this from any official source.... but its not far fetched... I believe if its already promised to the mogul the touch is anything but left out being that its newer and more commercial... and so far sprint tv officially coming to the mogul is just a rumor and speculation right now... i really don't see why they wouldn't tho.. it works just fine as far as the moguls hardware is concerned

Last edited by gxnext; 12-13-2007 at 06:38 AM.
Old 12-13-2007, 07:35 AM
Regular 'Geeker

I think the reset rate of the apache, mogul, and touch is like this for the majority.

Every 1 time you might have to reset a touch you would have to reset the mogul twice as much and a apache 3 times as much. hows that sound? made sense to me :P

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison