PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2011, 01:45 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Axim x51v and TouchPro 2 now Arrive
Carrier: Sprint

JohnMcD348 is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Help me pick my next Sprint Phone

OK, you guys/gals did really great for me awhile back in helping me pick a new phone to converge my Dell Axim and my Sprint Phone into one. I need that help again.

I've had a few minor issues with my HTC TP2 and now with Windows 7 out, I've decided to make the switch over to Droid since now nearly all the program I need/rely on have Droid versions.

This is what I want:
Sliding keyboard. I have large hands and fat fingers. The screen KB has never worked for me. when I used my Axim x51v, I always had a stylus and always wrote more than keyed.

Memory card expansion. I guess Micro SD is the standard to run by, most of my last few have has the Micro SD card in it so I have a few.

Prefer Dual core for speed and somewhat longer lifespan between upgrades. I'm usually the type of person who keeps a phone for years and don't see the need really in updating just to have the latest tech, but I would like to have one that doesn't go completely out of date the week after I put down $2-400 on it.

I would like to be able to tether it so I can use it as a mobile modem like I do my TP2. My wife likes to use her computer to do homework and such when we are on the road and uses my phone to link her laptop. I can do this with a simple program installed and not have to Root it, Toot it or Poot it to make it work.

I don't really care about 3D phones and such but if that's the best way to go, then I won't rule them out.

this will be my first Droid phone so I will basically be relearning everything I've been doing for the past 12 years with PDA's, and recently smart phones. As the OS's change I would have no problem updating them, but I don't want to have to do a lot of hacking and such in order to make my phone do things I could normally do with my TP2.

The reason I'm leaving the TP2 and going Droid is due to poor refurbs I have gotten to replace the new unit that stopped working. And, now with Windows 7 out, the support and software for WinMo6.5 and earlier has started to dry up. I guess, I'm making the "Apple Switch" now that Win7 has come out. If I have to change all my software over anyway, I may as well change to a newer OS also.

Thanks. As I think of other issues I'd like in the new phone, I'll add them.
Old 07-09-2011, 06:35 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Re: Help me pick my next Sprint Phone

Wow, nothing?
Old 07-09-2011, 11:32 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HP Jornada 680,720 Treo 600,650,700P, TP2, Epic4G

swear0730 knows their stuffswear0730 knows their stuffswear0730 knows their stuffswear0730 knows their stuffswear0730 knows their stuffswear0730 knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

I went from the TP2 to the Epic about 8 months ago. I loved the TP2 but it was stolen so I had to make the switch. I chose the Epic over the Evo because of the screen and because of the keyboard. Surprisingly, Swype performs so well for me that I don't use the kb, ever. Don't count that out as a possibility although maybe your fingers are really fatter than mine!

Consider this. Go to Craigslist and find an Epic for sale. When you pick up the device call Sprint and make sure the ESN is clean while you hold the phone. You can activate it over the internet for free and you're test driving without contract commitment (although you will be dinged $10/month). If you don't like it put it back up on Craigslist. Maybe it'll cost you a bit in effort and maybe even lose a couple of bucks depending on how wise you shopped.

Its what I did. We now have four Epics in the household. Great phone.

FWIW, I am not too concerned about dual core. You will always be disappointed if you view a smartphone as an investment. New feature releases are coming out faster not slower and now carriers are extending your commitment.

I'm thinking that I'll do this again once the WithIn comes out.

Hope this helps!
Old 07-09-2011, 02:20 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

I'm not worried about extending contracts. I've been with Nextel/Sprint for about 12 years and really haven't had issues with them. This is my first time running smartphones with them and it has been OK, except for the hardware side of things. I'd asked this back a few months ago and it seemed the consensus was for the Epic and the Evo. I was wondering if anything had changed in the last 4-5 months other than the 3D Evo that is out now. And, as for teh keyboard, I really do have pretty fat fingers so I use the keyboard more than the touch screen for information input.

I'm almost saddened by my TouchPro2 since I had been a diehard HTC fan for many years starting with y old HP iPAQ PDA's and I still use my Dell Axim x51v from time to time and it's nearly 10 years old and still holds it's own well against newer smart phones when it comes to function and form.
Old 07-09-2011, 02:46 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HP Jornada 680,720 Treo 600,650,700P, TP2, Epic4G

swear0730 knows their stuffswear0730 knows their stuffswear0730 knows their stuffswear0730 knows their stuffswear0730 knows their stuffswear0730 knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMcD348 View Post
I'm not worried about extending contracts. I've been with Nextel/Sprint for about 12 years and really haven't had issues with them. This is my first time running smartphones with them and it has been OK, except for the hardware side of things. I'd asked this back a few months ago and it seemed the consensus was for the Epic and the Evo. I was wondering if anything had changed in the last 4-5 months other than the 3D Evo that is out now. And, as for teh keyboard, I really do have pretty fat fingers so I use the keyboard more than the touch screen for information input.

I'm almost saddened by my TouchPro2 since I had been a diehard HTC fan for many years starting with y old HP iPAQ PDA's and I still use my Dell Axim x51v from time to time and it's nearly 10 years old and still holds it's own well against newer smart phones when it comes to function and form.
Not so much about extending the contract as it is for trying out he phone. When I got my Pro2 I tried the Pre (twice), and the original Pro first. Sprint gave me grief each time I returned the phone. If you buy one off of Craigslist you may pay $225 for it but you don't lock yourself into it for two years. You can use it for 2 or 3 months and if you decide you don't like it you put it up on Craigslist and sell it for $200. Now you can try another keyboard phone OR you may decide you like swype and re-up getting a WiThin.

My 2cents.
Old 07-09-2011, 05:09 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

I just went ahead and had them get me another refurb to replace the TP2. I'm really hoping to keep this until the end of the year and replacing it with the newest model out around the end of the year or first of next year.
Old 07-11-2011, 07:24 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 3D

Palndrm12 is just getting started

I just recently switched sadly from my TP2, what a great phone especially the EU version. Wish HTC would have made a TP3 with the same form and a scaled up screen to 4" and more horsepower and put Android on it. But that doesn't look like its happening anytime soon for Sprint hence the reason I switched.

I decided to go with the Evo 3D due to the dual core processor larger battery over the Evo and the higher screen resolution (It was a no go on the Evo 3G due to screen resolution being lower than the TP2) I have to say I miss the keyboard but all of the support that Android has is amazing its a whole new world. The Evo 3D is super fast with zero lag and my battery life is much better than what I was getting with the TP2. You won't get that good of battery life at first but your usage will be off the charts most likely as mine was. I am still trying to figure out the Android way of doing things but its very user friendly and an overall great phone. I didn't really get it for the 3D gimmick but I am amazed at those I show it to that are falling over themselves about the 3D, I don't get it though. The dedicated camera button is awesome too. Makes taking pictures so much easier than tapping the screen. Thats about all I have its a great phone just go with it you won't be dissappointed.

PS. As a Sprint customer you might want to refrain from spreading the word Droid as that is a Verizon brand of phone with Android on it. Stick with Android and hope this helps!
Old 07-11-2011, 07:54 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: ip6
Carrier: tmobile

Riley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

Moved to phone comparison.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:27 PM
kaptainrandom

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Evo Shift is closest to what you're looking for.

Sent from my PC36100 on the PPCGeeks App
Old 07-19-2011, 06:55 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

OK, thanks for all the input. As it happens at this point, I'm getting an HTC Arrive to replace my TP2 for now. They're giving it to me free and I can still do my upgrade at the end of the year. I'll see what we have available in the new year.

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison