PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Phone Comparison (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   How many switced from TP2 for EVO? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=125707)

NIKKG 06-18-2010 04:48 PM

How many switced from TP2 for EVO?

I'm just wondering how many of you switched over from the TP2? Do you like Android and EVO alot more than WM and the TP2? Any regrets from switching over to EVO? Do you still have to reset the phone constantly like the TP2 and is it more stable?

I personally switched over to the iphone because I got burned out of the constant rom changes and almost daily resets with WM phones.

saecrow 06-18-2010 05:05 PM

Re: How many switced from TP2 for EVO?

i switched from a pro 2 and could not be happier! when the hero first came out i switched to it from the touch pro. . . for a day (and after about 5 hours i knew i wouldn't be sticking with it!) i was die-hard on winmo and the hardware keyboard. the hero was snappy but the lag time from portrait to landscape switching was ridiculous! it went back the next day.

the evo is awesome, i don't miss the hardware keyboard at all and this thing smokes. there is no hesitation whatsoever. i have had the occasional force close of a 3rd party app, but it's quick and painless and opens on a relaunch (not needing a reboot). i am so happy to be rid of my pro 2. . . it's night and day between these two devices :-)

dechutes 06-18-2010 05:06 PM

I made the switch and love it. I haven't had to reboot but one time and that was when I was still just messing around with it and setting it up (I have had some programs crash, but it doesn't hose the phone anymore :headbang: ). I can't think of any functionality that i have lost, and i have gained a lot more. Plus the capacitive screen is really nice.

I won't be going back!

aznmode 06-18-2010 05:07 PM

I did. There are things I like on the TP2 that I don't on the Evo but a few more things I like on the Evo. But does it justify giving up my $40 plan...I don't know. I think eventually a lot of the things extra on the Evo I will end up not using. Like front camera, 4g (itll just use up my battery unless it's plugged in). I have 2 weeks till my 30 day is over so I need to decide soon if I wanna keep it.

eman 06-18-2010 05:09 PM

I love it as well and have no regrets. Have been using a WM device for the past 10 years and finally moved on. No regrets at all. No need for reboots and I don't even have the desire to root my EVO and put a custom Rom on it. This thing rocks with stock! On the other hand, I couldn't last a day with a stock ROM on a WM device..........

My first thing when I got a new WM device would be how can I change it to make it better. My first thing with my EVO was wow, I can just use it the way it is and just worry about getting some cool apps for it!

touch_rules 06-18-2010 05:11 PM

I took a slight detour to the Hero for about a month to make sure I would like it and now I have an EVO and love it. The hardware is far superior to anything else out there. Even the iPhone. I have an old iPhone with no service I used to use for wifi surfing and apps. I picked it up yesterday for the first time since I switched to Android and laughed at it. Android is way better. My wife now owns my Hero. :D

mlin 06-18-2010 05:12 PM

I went from PPC6700--> Mogul --> Vogue --> Diamond --> iPhone --> TP --> Palm Pre --> TP2 --> EVO. I love the EVO and the Android OS. For me it offers the best balance of stability, flexibilty, and customization. Rebooting the phone is not a necessity as it was with WM and overall I think I will stick with Android for awhile, though I may have to check out a WP7 phone when released in the fall.

aznmode 06-18-2010 05:12 PM

I agree with you guys that its smooth and no crash. Well once for me when I tried to unlock..I had to remove the battery but that was it.

blackte4 06-18-2010 05:19 PM

I did.... I still have it until the 1st then my aunt will take my old babe... I miss it but the apps and 4g is helping me through.

edub186 06-18-2010 05:51 PM

I switched over also. I'm glad I did.

bigdaddie 06-18-2010 05:58 PM

I started with 2 Palm Devices. I then went to the Mogul, TP, TP2, then the EVO. If only WM could be half as stable as Android. I love the EVO not only for what it is now, but the potential is enormus. I've also played with the IPhone but was not impressed. I'm impressed with the EVO and think it be da stuff. I'm not looking back.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Meanee 06-18-2010 06:12 PM

I did, and I couldn't be happier. It actually took me a week to realize that there's no reset button on the phone. Everything seems "in place" for the lack of better word, on this phone. The interface is more uniform throughout apps, so you do not go from tiny checkboxes to iPhone like interface inconsistency like you did with WinMo. Everything seems to be inter-connected better.

My TP2 is solely used to charge it's battery, so I can have a spare battery in my bag at all times. Plus for overseas travel where SIM card is required.

RockSta® 06-18-2010 06:28 PM

Made the tp2 to Evo switch also and honestly like everyone else I'm happy I did.......way more stable, smoother....and the screen is just so freaking huge.....i thought I was going to miss my hard ware keyboard, but I haven't and and I still put out text just as fast using swype.....there is no beating it....
There is ONE app i use alot that doesn't have an android replacement....but that's about it....
My tp2 will still be around for that certain app and for the simple fact that it is GSM....and I do travel, and loved that I didn't need a different phone when I had my tp2.....
I have EVOlved!

hidaya 06-18-2010 06:30 PM

if sprint or anyone manages to keep it in stock ill be among the ship jumpers... ](*,) :protest:

malibu_23 06-18-2010 06:33 PM

tp2 sucked

skoobz 06-18-2010 06:36 PM

i did. the evo had better specs. this will hold me over until i get to see what wm7 is like.

dumpringz 06-18-2010 06:59 PM

Wirelessly posted (Sprint HTC Evo : Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-us; Sprint APA9292KT Build/ERE27) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

i come from tp2 n always thought winmo sucked ... only even used that cuz sprint gave it to me after 9 tp1s ... tp2 was a major improvement compared to tp n for a while i thought it was a decent device ... i dealt with the lag n while always using stock roms i was able to spice it up a little. then came 6.5 ughhhh that was horrible, yet most of us tp2 users really looked 4wrd to it ... now evo . . amazing device to say the least .. there r a few things i looked forward to with evo that suck. but this device smashes tp2 n i only ever wanted a usable device out of the box n this def is great. but every android device ive tinkered with smashes winmo ... jus like a few others im undecided about if im keeping it .... only 3 things i miss about tp2 .. .. keyboard, video quality, windows office mobile .

GhettoBSD 06-18-2010 07:09 PM

I had tp/tp, then skipped tp2 and went to hero/tp, then tp/evo...

I like my tp's keyboard better still, BUT the evo has no lag in rotating the screen for typing and input. It's blazing fast. Basically what we expected on the TP.
I'll eventually make it evo/tp but for now this is working out for me.

chowder25 06-18-2010 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by malibu_23 (Post 1823559)
tp2 sucked

Touch pro sucked! Always had reset that bad boy.Tp2 was actually good but nothing close to the evo. Im never used the hardware keyboard so I don't miss that at all... I just miss my sling player. As long as they come out with the app before football season, I'll be happy

pinkbunniz 06-18-2010 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NIKKG (Post 1823364)
I'm just wondering how many of you switched over from the TP2? Do you like Android and EVO alot more than WM and the TP2? Any regrets from switching over to EVO? Do you still have to reset the phone constantly like the TP2 and is it more stable?

I personally switched over to the iphone because I got burned out of the constant rom changes and almost daily resets with WM phones.

I did! I probably will never look back. Not that the TP2 was a bad phone in fact i think it was a great phone for its time, but now with snapdragon processors and what seems like android being a much more stable OS, WM doesnt really sit that highly in my books anymore.

m3xicanprid3 06-18-2010 07:25 PM

r u kiddng me of course evo is more stable faster nice everythng bout ths phone looks great. i came frm tp2 n im happy of switchng to evo. no problem so far...

dumpringz 06-18-2010 07:27 PM

Wirelessly posted (Sprint HTC Evo : Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-us; Sprint APA9292KT Build/ERE27) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

lol tp was a$$ ! ...... good keyboard is the only thing i liked on that phone .... idk how there r any even still in the world being used.

supdawg 06-18-2010 07:52 PM

I miss the dev community of WM.. I really miss my cookie home tab :(.. Also miss the extreme level of customization of WinMo.

Loved my TP2. The ROMs were really solid at the End (Mr. X) was my fav chef.

D\/8 06-18-2010 07:54 PM

Ex-TP2 owner... Currently a very happy EVO 4G owner...

The only thing my TP2 is good for now is to charge my spare battery for EVO... If it wasn't for that, it would be in the PPC Cemetary, buried in the back of my closet, resting in peace!!!

jordant2 06-18-2010 07:57 PM

Made the switch from the pro2 and I am very satisfied. The One and only thing I miss so far is coreplayer. It played my entire collection of avi movies flawlessly. I don't even miss the keyboard. I actually like not having one. I only want landscape mode when I'm in certain apps. Plus it makes the phone a lot thinner and the evo's screen is large and easy to type on. The haptic feedback is great.

I've been using wm since the T-Mobile MDA I got in '04 and have really enjoyed it overall. I've never liked any of the stock ROMs and immediately installed a custom skin to cover it up (mostly wisbar or spb). WM 6.5 was way to buggy and too much of a resource hog for the tp2 to handle and is much more fluid on the hd2. For now I love this android device, even on the stock ROM, and I'll probably use it until I'm tempted to try out wp7.

random omen 06-18-2010 08:05 PM

I switched from the TP2 to Evo. Haven't been this happy with a phone ever.

D\/8 06-18-2010 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jordant2 (Post 1823671)
Made the switch from the pro2 and I am very satisfied. The One and only thing I miss so far is coreplayer. It played my entire collection of avi movies flawlessly. I don't even miss the keyboard. I actually like not having one. I only want landscape mode when I'm in certain apps. Plus it makes the phone a lot thinner and the evo's screen is large and easy to type on. The haptic feedback is great.

I've been using wm since the T-Mobile MDA I got in '04 and have really enjoyed it overall. I've never liked any of the stock ROMs and immediately installed a custom skin to cover it up (mostly wisbar or spb). WM 6.5 was way to buggy and too much of a resource hog for the tp2 to handle and is much more fluid on the hd2. For now I love this android device, even on the stock ROM, and I'll probably use it until I'm tempted to try out wp7.

Check out RockBasePlayer... It's played everything I've thrown at it so far!!!

Dr. Evo 06-18-2010 08:36 PM

I came from a TP2 ... one of the best moves I've ever made in life. Don't even find want to think about having to ever go back. I laugh at all the ignorant and non-progressives who are still blindly following and swearing by WinMo. They can have it. If constant freezing ... incessant lagging ... numerous hard resets ... and slow performance are your kind of thing ... by all means, stick with WinMo. Android has been my saving grace. I love my Evo. Easily the best phone I've ever owned. I finally found 4G in my area today and it was cool. Can't wait for it to be fully implemented.

themuffinman 06-18-2010 08:37 PM

I also had a tp2 and for the most part I was pretty happy with it and considering that it had the same hardware specs as the tp1 it performed alot better than I dreamed it could, even running stock 6.1. But like someone said, every time I got a winmo device I couldnt wait for the hspl to be released so I could flash it. Now with the evo I am sure I will root it one day but right now I am so happy and excited to have a phone that works the exact way I want it to with out having to do anything to it. On a side note coreplayer I miss the most as well since I didn't have to convert anything, it played whatever video format I threw at it and of course slingbox which should be released shortly.

jordant2 06-18-2010 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D\/8 (Post 1823690)
Check out RockBasePlayer... It's played everything I've thrown at it so far!!!

I love you man! You're the isht! Just tried this and about 3 different video formats, including flv downloaded from the web. It all played flawlessly! No lag and it was cristal clear. This is now my fav android app and with this huge screen and fast processor, this phone is amazing!

s2art 06-18-2010 09:17 PM

I switched. The only thing I miss is voice dialing from my bt headset and the ability to listen to system sounds on the bt headset.
Otherwise, I'm pretty happy.

ghettocowboy248 06-18-2010 09:23 PM

i switched and would never go back. evo is amazing. i tried to use my ipod touch the other day and was like wtf how was i using this little screen.

LeoKnightas 06-18-2010 09:28 PM

I switched, it's taking time to get used to Android (I've been WM since the Mogul) but it's the OS of the future. All Aboard!!!

rooster94 06-18-2010 09:33 PM

Re: Re: How many switced from TP2 for EVO?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghettocowboy248 (Post 1823817)
i switched and would never go back. evo is amazing. i tried to use my ipod touch the other day and was like wtf how was i using this little screen.

Had the same problem, the Evo has ruined me. I can never go back to anything that has a smaller screen, but I'm ok with that.

I used to have a TP2, and I'm glad I don't have one anymore. It was a pretty good phone and all but Windows mobile is just so damn laggy and fairly outdated. Seriously, they really haven't changed much in the last couple of years except give it a slightly fresher look.

Sent from my Evo using Tapatalk Pro

ghettocowboy248 06-18-2010 09:35 PM

wm needs to worry less about looks and more about bugs, lag, freezing, and all the other problems

carlosruizano 06-18-2010 09:53 PM

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-us; Sprint APA9292KT Build/ERE27) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

I too had WM since the 6700. I am blown away with Android. I feel a little sad I had to let WM go, but like a dying horse I had to shoot it right between the eyes.

Dr. Evo 06-18-2010 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghettocowboy248 (Post 1823817)

+1.

I used to be in love with the screen on my iPod touch ... that is, until Evo. Now, I have lost so much lover for my poor Apple. The screen is almost a joke now compared to the Evo. I can hardly stand to look at it.

twilk 06-18-2010 10:50 PM

Its faster and more finger friendly thats it. If my TP2 had what the evo had in it I think the TP2 would be just as great except even better because it would have a hardware keyboard and WM.. YEAH.. OK!!!

Seriously TP2 and EVO isnt fair comparo lol the evo is a superior phone. Personaly I like the UI on android its very finger friendly and the ease of the app marke to customize the phone or get a great working game is nice as well. However WM is still alot nicer, even if its not free market you can do whatever you want with a windows phone. Yeah you gotta reset the phone sometimes and it requires a stylus sometimes but its still worlds better and Ill stand behind that. However they dont have a phone currently as fast as the EVO to even try and compete. I will say one thing though, I am glad to see Motorola back in the game. I thought they where gonna go under lol.

donnatn 06-18-2010 11:13 PM

I switched from the TP2 because of the hardware upgrade. HTC, to me, makes the best phones so I have taken the path of upgrading to the best new hardware. Unfortunately, until now Windows Mobile was loaded on them. I do love Android so much better mainly because of the intuitive interface and no lag. Windows Mobile was a flaky, antiquated OS.

To me the hardware is the most important factor. This screen and browser with the pinch capability make surfing so much nicer. If you are hesitant like I was about losing the hardware keyboard, don't worry...if you install a swype keyboard you will never miss it. It is like going to a whole new level.

yang88she 06-18-2010 11:13 PM

I switched...best upgrade ever