PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions > Legacy WM Devices > Palm Treo 700W/WX
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2007, 10:44 PM
Lurker

Stupid Vidiot is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Possible alternative Caller ID method?

I've read the CityID thread and was wondering...

CityID only returns the city and state of the caller's phone number. While that is better than nothing, it would be dandy if it provided more.

Here is a question for the gurus:

Is it possible to drop the incoming phone number into the input field at a reverse phone number site such as: http://m.yp.com/mwpsearch.php using a script of some sort? Or even a stand-alone app?

I do this operation manually very often and it is a drag because you can't copy/paste the phone number from either the call log or incoming call popup box into the phone number form field on the reverse phone number search website. But the search does return the city and state at a minimum. If the information is available in the database, it will return the name, street address, and zipcode as well.

It seems like the opening of a browser window and entering the number could be automated somehow. There are many reverse lookup sites out there to choose from but I like the one at m.yp.com because it's very clean, fast loading, without a bunch of spam/graphics. It would load in PIE within the time alotted between the first and second ring.

I would gladly pay for something like this. Heck, I would be thrilled with just the ability to copy the incoming phone number to the the clipboard on my 700wx!

Any Ideas?
Old 01-03-2007, 01:09 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

santos is just getting started
Well, you can't use the web if you're on a phone call, so doing an auto web search for a reverse lookup won't work.

You would need to have the database somewhere local.
Old 01-03-2007, 02:44 AM
Moderator/WMExperts Staff
Pocket PC: Pure, TP2, Snap, Ozone, Intrepid,Treo Pro
Carrier: Sprint

Malatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Re: Possible alternative Caller ID method?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupid Vidiot

Any Ideas?
I have two but they are qualified:

Only for unknown numbers (not in contacts) as anything else would plausibly be redundant and unnecessary (I would hope).

1)
Pocket411:
http://www.ppcgeeks.com/pocket411-be...eded-t892.html

A brilliant yet short-lived program. Still works and can do an import of "unknown" numbers and do a reverse lookup (at my request, ahem...lol)

2) MagiCall:
http://www.ppcgeeks.com/magicall-1-2...,magicall.html

Doesn't have it yet. I requested to the developer a reverse-call lookup feature, once again for uknown numbers, to be included. The developer thinks it's a great idea and mentioned the possibility of including it in the next release (1.3?). Feel free to add your voice. Either way, it's an astounding program.

Any notion of an "instant" reverse lookup during an incoming phone call? Not plausible. Not today at least. Phone is not fast enough, internet is not fast enough...technology is not fast enough. Can't happen.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:24 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Stupid Vidiot is a n00b
Possible alternative Caller ID method?

Thank you for the reply Malatesta.

I too, will second the need for a reverse phone number lookup for a future version of Magicall. I downloaded from the link here on PPCGeeks and started playing around with it. Low and behold, the first number placed in "answer and hangup" mode was 866-877-9830 which is the phone number for Sprint's spam division who has been bothering me relentlessly about upgrading and doing a survey. I've told them to stop calling and take me off their list and they still call.

BTW, Magicall pops a window saying "You are using a trial version" every time I open it. Do you know when or if it expires?

As for pocket411, I getting ready to try it out!
Old 01-03-2007, 09:37 PM

Malatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Re: Possible alternative Caller ID method?

Quote:
BTW, Magicall pops a window saying "You are using a trial version" every time I open it. Do you know when or if it expires?

As for pocket411, I getting ready to try it out!
MagiCall has a 7-day trial period.

It costs $24.95 which is a bit pricey except for two things: the developer is excellent and the biggy: this program works and works very well.

So if you need it it's worth it, IMO (plus it's only going to get better).

Pocket411 is nice BUT it uses .NET CF 2 which I can't stand. Too bad it never got further developed and either ported to CF1 or some other format.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:33 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Stupid Vidiot is a n00b
Possible alternative Caller ID

Whoa! Just got pocket411 running. This is exactly what I was looking for and it even uses m.yp.com as I suggested

If something like this were incorporated into Magicall, it would be a killer app.

Are there problems with running .NET CF 2 other than slow loading? Is it a bloatware memory hog?
Old 01-03-2007, 10:38 PM

Re: Possible alternative Caller ID

Quote:
Whoa! Just got pocket411 running. This is exactly what I was looking for and it even uses m.yp.com as I suggested

If something like this were incorporated into Magicall, it would be a killer app.

Are there problems with running .NET CF 2 other than slow loading? Is it a bloatware memory hog?
lol, I'm a fan of m.yp.com too and was the one who suggested that feature in that program (I suggested the same for MagiCall--feel free to drop the developer a message requesting it, jik)

.NET CF2 is a slow loader and I find makes the device overall a bit slower/pudgy. It's easy to write software for hence it's popularity but it's just not efficient, imo.
Old 06-18-2007, 12:47 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Samsung Note 4
Carrier: Verizon

syrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributions
supasharp..What is this 'Zero Group' thing? I have never heard of them. I have never heard of any app or service able to identify restricted numbers...as far as I knew that was not possible. Is there any more information out there on that service you mentioned?[/quote]

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions > Legacy WM Devices > Palm Treo 700W/WX