PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions > Legacy WM Devices > Palm Treo 700W/WX
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2007, 09:44 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: AT&T Fuze
Carrier: AT&T

kbcherry is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Palm Device Reset App. vs. Hard Reset

I was just curious if anyone new the difference between the Palm Device Reset app you can download from palm.com and a hard reset? I was wondering if there was any value to performing a device reset and then restoring from Sprite or if it was even possible. I know that when I do a hard reset it truly isn't wiping everything for example my call log seems to stay intact. Probably not worth it but I was just curious.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:26 AM
Coz-erator
Pocket PC: Sprint Galaxy Note 2 & other misc digital devices
Carrier: Sprint

CozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to CozBoogie Send a message via Yahoo to CozBoogie
Re: Palm Device Reset App. vs. Hard Reset

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbcherry
I know that when I do a hard reset it truly isn't wiping everything for example my call log seems to stay intact. Probably not worth it but I was just curious.
Really? I've never experienced or heard of that. The hard resets I've done have always returned my phone to it's "factory" condition.

Additionally I believe (but don't quote me on this) that the Palm reset is just a software tool for performing a soft reset (versus taking the battery cover off, etc.). If you're using backup software such as Sprite you'll only want to restore after performing a hard reset (holding down the end button and the soft reset button at the same time). There really won't be any benefit doing a soft reset and then restoring...in fact it could fubar things a bit.

I backup my device about once every two weeks.

late,
Coz
Old 06-07-2007, 12:20 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

kbcherry is a n00b
Probably a waste to do it, I was more just curious and wondering if it would clear anything out. But according to Palm it is much more than a soft reset:

When completed, the blue Windows Mobile screen will appear. All third-party applications, personal info, and settings that were added to your smartphone have now been deleted.

IMPORTANT
Personal data removal and personal data retention from the memory system is the responsibility of the owner of the Palm device.

If you need to perform this reset again, you will need to repeat the steps issued on this page as the Device Reset application will delete itself upon execution.
Old 06-07-2007, 01:51 PM
The Voice of Reason
Pocket PC: PPC 6700/Touch Diamond/Touch Pro

Big D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Palm Device Reset App. was developed for companies where phones are changing hands allot, the app wipes all the memory than rights over everything so there is nothing remaining that can be extracted. This is great if you are selling your phone or something like that but not necessary if you are just trying to clean things up and start over, a hard reset if fine for that.
“It is from numberless diverse acts of courage and belief that human history is shaped. Each time a man stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the lot of others, or strikes out against injustice, he sends forth a tiny ripple of hope.”

Robert Kennedy

Ha y'all come visit me at WMExperts some time.
Old 06-07-2007, 02:32 PM
The Enforcer
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4G, ViewSonic gTablet, BB Bold 9650

Pibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIP
I may be wrong, but I believe the Palm app will also remove the phone programming, so you'd have to get the phone programmed with your MSL, etc. again...

I don't remember where I read that...

---
Don't forget to Search first!
Old 06-07-2007, 03:25 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: iPhone4

Certs is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
The Palm app is a HARD reset, not a soft reset, as someone posted earlier. According to Palm, from what I understand:

A conventional reset deletes all non-ROM data.

The Device Reset Application deltes AND formats the devices non-ROM memory.

When I hard reset, I do both. Why not

PS- I have the app on my card, and before running it I copy it to my device first. Just to be safe. It only takes 2 seconds but I think its the best way to do it.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:52 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

kbcherry is a n00b
As usual guys, thanks for the good info. I think I may use the utility and see what happens.
Old 06-07-2007, 07:13 PM
N00b

dalexiou is a n00b
Palm reset cleans the phone out, but does not reset the phone programming.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions > Legacy WM Devices > Palm Treo 700W/WX