PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions > Legacy WM Devices > Palm Treo 700W/WX
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2007, 07:47 PM
Lurker

slug is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Always connected to Internet

Hey Guys.. been a long time, glad to see this site still around!

I have a question that has been bugging me for a long time.. Am I always connected to the Net? When checking pop e-mail every 99 minutes or using the sports autoupdate plug-in?

I've found to save battery life I don't have programs auto connect to the net to check e-mail or update scores, does this sound right? the connection arrows are light grey and not always solid. Any thoughts?
Old 11-06-2007, 07:51 PM
Coz-erator
Pocket PC: Sprint Galaxy Note 2 & other misc digital devices
Carrier: Sprint

CozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to CozBoogie Send a message via Yahoo to CozBoogie
When your connection arrows are light-gray you are not exchanging data. Data is transferred only when the arrows go white. So essentially you are always "connected" to the internet...you're just not activiating that connection.

Another way to look at it: Lets say your garden hose is always connected to the faucet (internet). Does that mean that there is water (data) flowing through the hose? No. You must turn the faucet on (start an app that connects to the internet)...then there will be water and it will flow through the hose.

That's a bit goofy sounding...but accurate.

late,
Coz

Last edited by CozBoogie; 11-06-2007 at 07:53 PM.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:44 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Treo 850e' / HTC Touch Pro 2 / Sprint Evo 4G !

Sprints700wx is just getting started
Some Good info Coz..I Always Looked @ the conection Arrows and woundered why they where shaded.gray..
Old 11-06-2007, 09:52 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Diamnon
Carrier: Alltel

LukeB777 is a n00b
Another add on question. Is there a significant battery drain if I leave my data connection running even if I do have active apps using the net? It would just save the time of having my phone dial the connection and me turning it off all the time.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:03 PM
Coz-erator
Pocket PC: Sprint Galaxy Note 2 & other misc digital devices

CozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to CozBoogie Send a message via Yahoo to CozBoogie
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeB777 View Post
Another add on question. Is there a significant battery drain if I leave my data connection running even if I do have active apps using the net? It would just save the time of having my phone dial the connection and me turning it off all the time.
When the connection arrows go gray that essentially puts your phone in a "listening" mode. That is, only a few things will activate your connection. For example, if you start PIE then a connection will be established. If you have a program that is set to grab data from the net automatically (e.g., WeatherPanel) then the connection will be made.

Actively turning off your connection will not save on battery life. Your phone is designed to optimize battery performance regarding data connections.

You can do more to conserve/extend battery life by dimming your screen and/or turning off your keyboard.

late,
Coz
Old 11-07-2007, 04:08 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Palm Pre

mr.blonde is a n00b
I thought this kind of thing was causing a battery drain on my phone. I would connect with PIE to check something, then shut down PIE, but leave the connection up. It would be grayed out, but still connected.

2 hours later, it would still be connected, but nothing else had been run that used the internet.

In these cases, I found it to drain the battery more rapidly than when I would manually disconnect after use.
Old 11-11-2007, 05:52 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

slug is a n00b
I also think it drains faster but it may just be me. I'll keep an eye on it.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions > Legacy WM Devices > Palm Treo 700W/WX