PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Palm Pre (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=84)
-   -   Jumping ship! (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=88184)

Exil3d 09-30-2009 11:30 PM

Jumping ship!

Well hello there! I am considering buying a Pre and abandon those cripple HTC devices. Pro2 was the last nail in their coffin! I am wondering how customizable is the Palm OS. Is it as near as customizable as WM? Can it be hacked ,tweaked and modded? And last question in which is the must important question, can it be activated in a SERO account?

Compusmurf 09-30-2009 11:44 PM

Re: Jumping ship!

I did. LOL I wanted the TP2 and when they raised the price and didn't REALLY include any real new features, I blew it off and went with the Pre.

The pre is NEW. Very nice, but you better expect growing pains. If you know linux at all and are willing to be daring, you can rip apart most of the OS looking for goodies and contribute to the growing list of hacks, apps, tweaks, etc.

About the SERO, I have no clue.

I can say 1 additional thing. Palm has had more updates to their OS in the last 3 months than Win Mo has had in like 3 years. At least Palm is taking it serious and trying....

IFMISM 09-30-2009 11:55 PM

The pre is a wonderful device. It does multitasking like no other. unfortunately for me it did not fit my needs. it fell short on quite a few issues, but i am not here to bash this device. i will prolly get the 2nd version of it, but now i have to go back to wm for work purposes.
To those that have to pre and love it i can definetly understand why, but as a work device it falls short for now. but still a great device none the less

mlin 10-01-2009 12:06 AM

I currently go back and forth between my Diamond and Pre, though lately I have spent more time with the Pre. It is a great device with a lot of developments and interest spurring from its infancy. As of now, I am so far impressed with the level of customization. More and more tweaks are popping up each day and precentral has officially opened a theme thread with a variety of custom themes to choose from, prethemer has even more. I've had a lot of fun with it so far, and its very stable.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Compusmurf (Post 1205926)
I can say 1 additional thing. Palm has had more updates to their OS in the last 3 months than Win Mo has had in like 3 years. At least Palm is taking it serious and trying....

What do you honestly expect? There are now 2 proprietary devices running WebOS, both in their infancy. Updates are not only very necessary due to the lack of or poor implementation of certain features (ie cut, copy, and paste), but easy considering the low number of devices. Compare this to WinMo which is built for likely a hundred devices all with varying screen size, keypad configurations, touch screen vs non-touch screen, etc. Makes frequent updating on the behalf of Microsoft rather difficult.

darren.wlsn1 10-01-2009 12:08 AM

sero is a no go. http://www.prethinking.com/home/2009...-palm-pre.html

NinjaMom 10-01-2009 10:47 AM

I am thinking the comment about the updates was a good one. Why wouldn't it be? Lack of updates with WM drove me nuts and even with the issues this new os has... They are minor to me.

CozBoogie 10-01-2009 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exil3d (Post 1205900)
Well hello there! I am considering buying a Pre and abandon those cripple HTC devices. Pro2 was the last nail in their coffin! I am wondering how customizable is the Palm OS. Is it as near as customizable as WM? Can it be hacked ,tweaked and modded? And last question in which is the must important question, can it be activated in a SERO account?

No to SERO.

And yes, there are a lot of mods/tweaks available right now. As someone else stated if you know Linux then there's basically nothing you can't do.

Wanna change the skin of your on-screen keyboard...that ability comes prepackaged with the virtual keyboard.

Wanna change your boot logo (which on WM devices required copying a specific file to the right Windows location, etc.). With the Pre just hook the phone to your pc and using WebOS Quick Install you just select the files you want to use and everything else is done for you.

Wanna new theme for your Pre (icons, backgrounds, lock-screen, dialer, and more)? Currently there are 158 themes. Using Preware (on your phone...yes it's all OTA), you select the theme and it installs automatically. That's it! No putting .png files in the right folders, etc.

That's just some of the stuff that a casual user can do in a few minutes.

Drop that TP2 and check out the Pre.

late,
Coz

aceracer24 10-02-2009 12:54 AM

Exil3D,

Your antics and dislike for HTC products is legendary to say the least. To see you talking about jumping ship isn't a surprise. I had the Touch Pro and although I know there have been a number of issues with it, I still liked the customizations and the slide out keyboard. Enter Palm Pre.

I was originally going to get the TP2 but since Sprint refused to lower the price and match Verizons, I decided to get the Pre. This little phone is amazing. I found so many tasks difficult on the TP but the Pre makes many tasks very seamless and transparent right out of the box. Yes, it does have some issues.

If you disliked the battery on the TP you will absolutely hate it on the Pre. That said, it charges rather quickly. There are other minor and some annoying issues but so far nothing like I ever had on the TP. Now honestly, I am still trying to get used to the keyboard. I don't think I will ever like any other keyboard after using a TP.

Applications are abundant and most are very useful with several adding features that Palm has not. They are very easy to install. Customizing I don' think is yet to the same standards as a windows mobile phone. No custom roms and such but themes are pretty plentiful.

All in all, it's a very good phone with a ton of potential. Like any new phone, improvements are needed but Palm seems to be working towards making the webOS the best possible.

Sprint finally is matching Verizons price on the TP2 and I did get that ordered today. It should be here by Monday. But I have spent all day thinking about it and frankly, even though I think you come across as a whiner when it comes to HTC phones, you usually do say what I usually am thinking. I am thinking also that I may end up just sending the TP2 back when it arrives at my door. The Pre really is a great phone.

tonymontana2367 10-02-2009 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aceracer24 (Post 1208524)
Exil3D,

If you disliked the battery on the TP you will absolutely hate it on the Pre. That said, it charges rather quickly.

Mine's been fine. I'm usually running Pandora, sms, and web. You don't happen to be doing this to your phone are you? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUeHEFlPa6E

aceracer24 10-02-2009 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonymontana2367 (Post 1208607)
Mine's been fine. I'm usually running Pandora, sms, and web. You don't happen to be doing this to your phone are you? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUeHEFlPa6E

I can't view the video from work so I am not sure what it is. That said, what I have noticed is that standby on the Pre is at least as good as what I could get on the TP and the TP has a larger capacity battery. At least on Sprint. The problem is any type of usage. On the TP, usage of any type drained the battery quickly but not like I have seen on the Pre. I have watched the Pre's battery drop by 2-3 % at a time.

I do think that the 1.2 update helped a little but it still drains quickly. Although you have to keep in mind, the battery on the Pre is smaller capacity than what is on the TP or TP2. There are larger capacity batteries but like other devices, larger batterys add more size overall to the phone.