PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   News Archives (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   Microsoft issues take down notice for WM6.5.1 ROMs (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=93158)

[sammich] 10-28-2009 06:04 PM

Re: Microsoft issues take down notice for WM6.5.1 ROMs

Wait. I don't believe this is a legit request.

Where there similar scares with fake Microsoft legal notices?

No lawyer would cite US law out of its jurisdiction and demand action, as it would create a mockery of himself as well as the corporation he represents.

I feel like calling BS on this one. For the sake of community development, I hope I'm right.

Young_breedent 10-28-2009 06:06 PM

not this again and WisdomWolfX i'm with you on this one let me start downloading

bikeandestroyx 10-28-2009 06:17 PM

This is fake again, i guarantee it. The last few times this has happened its been fake. I wouldn't get too worried about it.

WisdomWolfX 10-28-2009 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron580 (Post 1272914)
Eh I bought a copy of Snow Leo just for it so its basically legal... plus its just a mini 10v. All the rest of my computers are real macs though.

I like this. Basically legal. Sure it violates the EULA completely, but it's basically legal. :joker:

I'm not judging, just find it funny that you'd use the most controlling company as an example of more open practices.

flyers2114 10-28-2009 06:21 PM

Ask the guys in jail from PirateBay if that holds true.....

aaron580 10-28-2009 06:27 PM

Not gonna deny they are VERY controlling but I had ubuntu on it for long time but needed iphone SDK on the go so why not?

Back to the subject at hand...

starcastic 10-28-2009 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ⌥ saumaun ☢ (Post 1272899)
XDA isn't even based out of the USA... They don't have to comply with takedown notices structured off of our laws...

While these particular notices may or may not be actually legit, the above isn't entirely true either. This is really the entire point of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act and its accompaniments; the reciprocal recognition of copyrights. Hosts and registrars worldwide are still administered by ICANN which was also a party to DMCA development and can provide a whole set of other problems for companies that choose to completely ignore or provide proper channels for DMCA takedown notices.

bikeandestroyx 10-28-2009 06:57 PM

http://duttythroy.net/component/cont...evelopers.html
Please read.

[sammich] 10-28-2009 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by starcastic (Post 1272977)
While these particular notices may or may not be actually legit, the above isn't entirely true either. This is really the entire point of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act and its accompaniments; the reciprocal recognition of copyrights. Hosts and registrars worldwide are still administered by ICANN which was also a party to DMCA development and can provide a whole set of other problems for companies that choose to completely ignore or provide proper channels for DMCA takedown notices.

I stand corrected.

But - do you think its likely they will encounter trouble if they didn't comply? I didn't even hear ICANN mentioned in anything around thepiratebay case.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bikeandestroyx (Post 1273040)

You just posted that on wmpoweruser, didn't you?

bikeandestroyx 10-28-2009 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ⌥ saumaun ☢ (Post 1273047)
You just posted that on wmpoweruser, didn't you?

Yes i did.