PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   News Archives (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   Windows Mobile 7 closer than expected? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=79765)

frazell 08-17-2009 04:26 AM

Windows Mobile 7 closer than expected?

A finding by istartedsomething.com leads us to the possibility that Windows Mobile 7 is very close to release with hardware certifications being handed out...

http://www.istartedsomething.com/200...dows-mobile-7/

Since we know Windows Mobile 7 won't be upgradable (due to leaked advances like Tegra level 3D support) and the release is less than a year away (MS claims early 2010 still)...

I'm not feeling bad that I'm skipping the TP2 for something a little better coming soon... What are you thoughts on this tidbit?

willysp 08-17-2009 07:10 AM

Re: Windows Mobile 7 closer than expected?

If it's that close (and I doubt it), then yes, waiting makes sense to me too.

badchad 08-17-2009 08:21 AM

Seems to me that M$ should be aware of how late to the game they are.

I think its somewhat critical that they get WM7 out before the next iphone. I'm predicting June 2010 as a target date. Once it gets delayed, I'm thinking late Q3 or Q4 2010.

orangekid 08-17-2009 08:39 AM

you would think, but it seems like every time we predict when something is going to come out you have to add like 6 months to a year to when it actually comes out.

Noir 08-17-2009 09:36 AM

I think tpro 2 will get the windows mobile 7 upgrade
htc has literally flagshipped as well as stated the new iteration was upgradable to windows 7

orangekid 08-17-2009 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noir (Post 1106077)
htc has literally flagshipped as well as stated the new iteration was upgradable to windows 7

thats weird because everything I hear about the required hardware specs for wm7 shows the pro2 can't get it.

jrob 08-17-2009 10:06 AM

here's a solution: pay full price for a tp2 when it comes out and then when the new winmo 7 device come out, use your upgrade. that's what i am going to do!!!

orangekid 08-17-2009 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrob (Post 1106123)
here's a solution: pay full price for a tp2 when it comes out and then when the new winmo 7 device come out, use your upgrade. that's what i am going to do!!!

or keep your tp1 that has the same specs as the tp2, or keep my diamond, spend the $500 on rent or sushi (i'd go with the sushi) then get a firestone or a leo with wm7 with the upgrade.

InvincibleLiving 08-17-2009 10:18 AM

while the bugs get shaken out of the first few batches of tp2's i'm waiting to hear more on the Leo.

orangekid 08-17-2009 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nautica2450 (Post 1106144)
while the bugs get shaken out of the first few batches of tp2's i'm waiting to hear more on the Leo.

that Leo looks so sweet, I wish I could get one. It's like my diamond but perfected as a ppc wtih a 4.3" screen, capacitive, 1ghz snapdragon etc. I wish they'd hurry up on the release so I don't have to wait a trillion years...

InvincibleLiving 08-17-2009 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangekid (Post 1106148)
that Leo looks so sweet, I wish I could get one. It's like my diamond but perfected as a ppc wtih a 4.3" screen, capacitive, 1ghz snapdragon etc. I wish they'd hurry up on the release so I don't have to wait a trillion years...

I'm right there with you...that device sounds amazing!

hibby50 08-17-2009 10:28 AM

I will tell you right now the Leo is my next phone.

Noir 08-17-2009 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangekid (Post 1106095)
thats weird because everything I hear about the required hardware specs for wm7 shows the pro2 can't get it.

I think the only hardware spec tpro 2 isn't running is processor and we still have no definitive proof of what processor is necessary to run 7...we have speculation true and projection but that's about it...
heck recall that something like the titan/mogul wasn't even supposed to even go to windows 6.5

hibby50 08-17-2009 10:30 AM

Technically the Titan wasn't even made for 6.

orangekid 08-17-2009 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hibby50 (Post 1106156)
I will tell you right now the Leo is my next phone.

completely agree,

I would even be willing to wait thru the firestone release (if that ever happens) to wait for the leo. Im sure they will have an android counterpart by then but wm7 is too enticing and they will have a full android port by then anyways im sure since the hero will be be cdma available by the time it comes out.

InvincibleLiving 08-17-2009 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hibby50 (Post 1106163)
Technically the Titan wasn't even made for 6.

ya beat me to it hib:silent:

orangekid 08-17-2009 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noir (Post 1106159)
I think the only hardware spec tpro 2 isn't running is processor and we still have no definitive proof of what processor is necessary to run 7...we have speculation true and projection but that's about it...
heck recall that something like the titan/mogul wasn't even supposed to even go to windows 6.5

and capacitive screen, not sure about RAM.

but I dont think wm had any type of required hardware for 6.1 or 6.5, it was just "can your phone handle this or not" but if it wont even let you flash or install the OS because you're missing hardware then that could be a different issue.

InvincibleLiving 08-17-2009 10:36 AM

i tend to think they'll force wm7 to be used by newer hardware. alot of the timelines seem to point to that as a likelihood.

Noir 08-17-2009 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangekid (Post 1106172)
and capacitive screen, not sure about RAM.

but I dont think wm had any type of required hardware for 6.1 or 6.5, it was just "can your phone handle this or not" but if it wont even let you flash or install the OS because you're missing hardware then that could be a different issue.

http://pocketnow.com/tech-news/windo...nd-more-memory

perhaps this is just me but I find those specs to be taken with a grain of salt. Considering no phone on the market (present or future for at least a year or two) will begin to run those specs and continue to be at the subsidized prices for carriers...

nothing on capacitive touch but multi touch is there so I am a bit skeptical. In my opinion I think windows phone 7 will be much akin to what we are dealing with in windows 6.5

developers hacking and releasing till they can't get it anymore. I think the specs on that list echo a future device(s) not even slated till at least later on next year. All that aside I take what I see as far as specs with a grain of salt...

Now of an interesting note is the fact that the OS is in xml amongst other things. That in itself is an amazing jump. Everything else I doubt we will truly see till the latter part of 2010 early 2011

badchad 08-17-2009 11:33 AM

I am going to transition to the Hero (hopefully in oct.) and then wait it out until late summer 2010.

I figure by then a whole heck of a lot will be going on: Pre 2, WM 7, iphone may lose its exclusivity (which will shake up the marketplace if nothing more), and perhaps some new toys from RIMM.

A lot to look forward to next year (although it seems I'm constantly waiting for "next year", or the "next 6 months" etc.)

Genjinaro 08-17-2009 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nautica2450 (Post 1106178)
i tend to think they'll force wm7 to be used by newer hardware. alot of the timelines seem to point to that as a likelihood.

Yeah thats what I was thinking...

frazell 08-17-2009 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nautica2450 (Post 1106178)

I agree. I remember the interview with the Microsoft rep showing Windows Mobile 6.5 where he stated Windows Mobile 6.5 and Windows Mobile 7 will co-exist in the market. The Windows Mobile 6.5 offerings will be the "basic" Windows Mobile offerings and the Windows Mobile 7 offerings will be the "premium" experience. He stated that was the reason for the change to "Windows Phone" branding.

If that is true I doubt we will see upgrades coming for 7 at all. Bits of it might make it into cooked ROMs, but I'm not sure that will happen either. Since the rumors lean toward Windows Mobile 7 being based on the newer Windows CE 6 I'm sure we can expect a lot of driver level stuff to need reworking. Not something cooks will be able to pull off since we don't have the driver sources in the public eye.

Noir 08-17-2009 04:41 PM

after seeing the htc leo I can definitely say htc is definitely moving in a good direction toward windows phone 7...though I wonder about legacy devices...hm

TnA-2xXtReM 08-17-2009 04:50 PM

Haha, we always want the next best thing when it comes to technology. To me, waiting is not an option xD

Noir 08-17-2009 04:57 PM

it does give waiting a more easier option but I also may just buy both but seeing the specs the price range may be outrageous
and if the htc leo is indicative of the future of htc, it is very VERY bright
its important I bring up the leo now that udk has a rom of the leo running on the topaz because we see a lot of good instances and packages that echo that yes there is a capacitive touch screen device to be released that may squeeze in the windows phone 7 domain. But it is a bit awkward to do that without taking into consideration touch pro 2 either...I suppose it is all a game

Malatesta 08-17-2009 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noir (Post 1106077)

Nope. Any device with MSM-7xxx won't get the upgrade. Only Snapdragon/Tegra devices for WM7 and we have this info on pretty solid grounds. The HTC Star and Superstar are the only WM7 devices from HTC that we know of right now.

People have to understand WM7 is a complete re-write of the kernal and base OS. MS is aiming for high-end hardware, including multiple sensors, gyroscope, compass and some advanced aGPS technology. Dinky TP2's might have a tough time handling just the memory requirements, let alone the processor.

The reason WM6.5 and WM7 will co-exist is because the differences in hardware requirements will be quite dramatic between the two, so WM6.5 will become the "budget" OS.

As to this article, I wouldn't make too much out of it. We've known some of the hardware specs for quite some time and companies like Qualcomm, etc. are certainly working closely with MS to get their hardware right. And yeah, since the OS is scheduled for release in early/mid 2010, you can bet it is pretty far along in development!

More can found here: http://tinyurl.com/qo7jh6

frazell 08-17-2009 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malatesta (Post 1106953)
Nope. Any device with MSM-7xxx won't get the upgrade. Only Snapdragon/Tegra devices for WM7 and we have this info on pretty solid grounds. The HTC Star and Superstar are the only WM7 devices from HTC that we know of right now.

People have to understand WM7 is a complete re-write of the kernal and base OS. MS is aiming for high-end hardware, including multiple sensors, gyroscope, compass and some advanced aGPS technology. Dinky TP2's might have a tough time handling just the memory requirements, let alone the processor.

The reason WM6.5 and WM7 will co-exist is because the differences in hardware requirements will be quite dramatic between the two, so WM6.5 will become the "budget" OS.

As to this article, I wouldn't make too much out of it. We've known some of the hardware specs for quite some time and companies like Qualcomm, etc. are certainly working closely with MS to get their hardware right. And yeah, since the OS is scheduled for release in early/mid 2010, you can bet it is pretty far along in development!

More can found here: http://tinyurl.com/qo7jh6

Thanks for the well written article. I plan to wait for the Windows Mobile 7 stuff to shake out before I drop any money on a new device.

No need to replace my phone every year so I can work with it long enough to get some real hardware improvements and a nice Windows Mobile 7 as well.

Noir 08-19-2009 08:47 PM

huge bump
windows mobile 7 close? uhm not likely more like Q4 2010 will be the official launch - much akin to wm 6.5 being leaked excessively throughout the earlier part of this year

http://twitter.com/pocketnowtweets

Genjinaro 08-20-2009 12:42 AM

Yeah, my faith in Windows Mobile dropped, what the hell do they expect to happen over a year way, in cellphone years?

Q2 2010 = excellent, Q4 2010 = why bother?

MikeElGiga23 08-20-2009 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Genjinaro (Post 1111638)
Yeah, my faith in Windows Mobile dropped, what the hell do they expect to happen over a year way, in cellphone years?

Q2 2010 = excellent, Q4 2010 = why bother?

Sadly agree with this.

after all, android, webOS, and OSX mobile will be updated a lot by then so its not clear cut to assume it will blow everybody out of the water (m$ isn't famous for this either...)

Noir 08-20-2009 09:43 AM

there is virtually no hardware, according to microsoft specs, to support wm 7...so I don't think they have a choice but to wait
its a shame actually that microsoft is doing this but it does explain why there will be 2 wm 6.5 builds

orangekid 08-20-2009 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noir (Post 1111999)
there is virtually no hardware, according to microsoft specs, to support wm 7...so I don't think they have a choice but to wait
its a shame actually that microsoft is doing this but it does explain why there will be 2 wm 6.5 builds

yeah that does explain why they are releasing 6.5, all i know is wm7 better be bad to the motherloving bone, because we still need to wait over a year...

can you imagine a Leo with wm7 though, now that would be sweet.

Noir 08-20-2009 09:59 AM

leo with 6.5 is already sweet for me especially considering manila 2.6
I thought with 2.5 they were done and beyond but heck I can't wait till 3.0!

orangekid 08-20-2009 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noir (Post 1112040)
leo with 6.5 is already sweet for me especially considering manila 2.6
I thought with 2.5 they were done and beyond but heck I can't wait till 3.0!

yeah i forgot about 2.6 and 3.0, might look better than rosie.

Noir 08-20-2009 10:13 AM

I think that will be the best anticipation rather than windows 7 which is coming next year and the issue I dont' understand with wm 7 is simple
why did microsoft beef everything up? They really could've done a lot with what they had but I guess with the two 6.5s they expect that by 2011 wm 7 will be the premier OS

orangekid 08-20-2009 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noir (Post 1112065)
I think that will be the best anticipation rather than windows 7 which is coming next year and the issue I dont' understand with wm 7 is simple
why did microsoft beef everything up? They really could've done a lot with what they had but I guess with the two 6.5s they expect that by 2011 wm 7 will be the premier OS

It looks like they want to be ahead of the game. When all the new phones come out next year that support all this come out, they'll be ready for wm7 where other developers will only start to integrate their OS to fully use the hardware, I'm not sure what android has in store for us but at this point I think I'd rather go with wm7, especially if microsoft buys palm

Noir 08-20-2009 10:22 AM

microsoft buying palm? hm an integrated wm with webOS (drools)

orangekid 08-20-2009 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noir (Post 1112075)
microsoft buying palm? hm an integrated wm with webOS (drools)

from August 4 - http://trendsupdates.com/microsoft-can-buy-palm/

would be pretty sweet.

shaun0207 08-20-2009 10:28 AM

Its gonna be Q4. I havent upgraded to 6.5 cause I was waiting for the to release a stable version of the OS to the carriers first. But they are taking forever with that as well.

http://pocketnow.com/tech-news/micro...pgrade-in-2010

Noir 08-20-2009 10:34 AM

epic fail windows...epic fail