PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   News Archives (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   NEXUS ONE to Verizon in spring (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=104806)

imtjnotu 01-05-2010 05:18 PM

NEXUS ONE to Verizon in spring

sprint has let us down again
http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/05/v...n-spring-2010/

x10guy 01-05-2010 05:29 PM

Re: NEXUS ONE to Verizon in spring

Why would you think Sprint let us down?
Google probably went to Verizon first.

imtjnotu 01-05-2010 05:38 PM

because every other carrier is getting great phones while sprint thinks the pre and hero are good enough lol

x10guy 01-05-2010 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imtjnotu (Post 1463094)
because every other carrier is getting great phones while sprint thinks the pre and hero are good enough lol

Apple went to Verizon first with the iphone- they got rejected and then to ATT
Google (I'm guessing) went to Verizon first.

If Sprint actually had an opportunity to get these phones and rejected them, I can see your point. But they didn't.

Sprint is simply not as large as the Big two. Now you can indirectly blame them for shooting themselves in the foot with the Nextel fiasco but blaming them for Google's own decision, doesn't make sense.

snowplow54 01-05-2010 06:01 PM

sprint's gonna have a lot of catching up to do, they have a a decent selection, but nothing that can stand up to phones like the HD2, Nexus one, or Iphone.

x10guy 01-05-2010 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snowplow54 (Post 1463159)
sprint's gonna have a lot of catching up to do, they have a a decent selection, but nothing that can stand up to phones like the HD2, Nexus one, or Iphone.

Maybe it's the case of the strong getting stronger and the weak getting weaker...
If you were Google or Apple, and had to pick one wireless company to go with, I'm sure most of us would make the same decision.

acts 01-05-2010 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by x10guy (Post 1463251)
Maybe it's the case of the strong getting stronger and the weak getting weaker...
If you were Google or Apple, and had to pick one wireless company to go with, I'm sure most of us would make the same decision.

if you were google, you would pick more than 1 wireless company. if you're going to give t-mobile a shot, and verizon (and go through the trouble of doing a CDMA phone), why would you not give the phone to sprint as well?

they allow for an unlocked version to go to ATT with no 3G. it's not hard to do an unlock for sprint (and with 3G).

that's my opinion anyway

ajac 01-05-2010 07:24 PM

lol and sprint does have an announcement this week remember!! THE LG SUPER PHONE lol I doubt it will be anything special personally... after the nexus announcement the lg one will be forgotten.

x10guy 01-05-2010 07:25 PM

I think when you are releasing a totally new smartphone you want some sort of control at least in the beginning to make sure the introduction goes smoothly. Having it on multiple carriers and multiple networks at the same time at the very beginning could lead to problems.

Plus I wouldn't doubt that Verizon agreed to some sort of financial benefit to Google.

fixxxer2012 01-05-2010 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imtjnotu (Post 1463094)

ummm....sprint has the best lineup out there. the pixi, pre and hero/moment are all awesum phones. besides the fact verizon cripples all of their phones.

bikeandestroyx 01-05-2010 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fixxxer2008 (Post 1463554)
ummm....sprint has the best lineup out there. the pixi, pre and hero/moment are all awesum phones. besides the fact verizon cripples all of their phones.

I'm pretty sure not one of verizons current smartphones are crippled, like the original touch pro/diamond.

clockcycle 01-05-2010 09:35 PM

https://www.google.com/phone/choose?locale=en_US&s7e=

breakmyfootoff 01-05-2010 10:03 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by bikeandestroyx (Post 1463568)
I'm pretty sure not one of verizons current smartphones are crippled, like the original touch pro/diamond.

Cmon bike, he's entitled to believe whatever he wants, even if it doesnt make any sense and isnt true :p:geek:

bikeandestroyx 01-05-2010 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by breakmyfootoff (Post 1463751)
Cmon bike, he's entitled to believe whatever he wants, even if it doesnt make any sense and isnt true :p:geek:

lmao, ive gotten pretty tired of WM lately how you liking android? This might be the phone that makes me switch, unless of course they get the hd2.

breakmyfootoff 01-05-2010 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bikeandestroyx (Post 1463859)
lmao, ive gotten pretty tired of WM lately how you liking android? This might be the phone that makes me switch, unless of course they get the hd2.

I gotta say, Android has been pretty impressive. It seems like kind of a compromise between WM and iPhone. It has the ease of use and apps like the iPhone, but the customization and freedom of WM. I have mine rooted and I'm able to flash ROM's and such, but when it comes to using emulators and SDK to alter the registry myself there's still a lot of learing ahead (I've never used Linux before so it would be easier if you're somewhat familiar with Linux). I've yet to find anything I cant do with Android that I used to do with my WM phone, and it just works easier. The voice search and navigation is nothing short of amazing

banden 01-05-2010 11:56 PM

Quote:

I will definitely add this to my list of facts.

Once the Nexus One is available on Verizon, i am almost certain my wife will be inheriting a Motorola Droid:)

x10guy 01-06-2010 01:33 AM

Quote:

Sprint may not have the big "exclusive" smartphones (ie. iphone, Nexus, and the Droid somewhat) but they do have a wide variety. (they do have the Pre but it isn't as big).

What Sprint does have is the best data plans. I'm probably in the minority but I'm not interested in paying and "arm-n-leg" each month for the latest exclusive phone. Over the course of the contract, it can be $500-$800 more.

x10guy 01-06-2010 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by breakmyfootoff (Post 1464009)
I gotta say, Android has been pretty impressive. It seems like kind of a compromise between WM and iPhone. It has the ease of use and apps like the iPhone, but the customization and freedom of WM. I have mine rooted and I'm able to flash ROM's and such, but when it comes to using emulators and SDK to alter the registry myself there's still a lot of learing ahead (I've never used Linux before so it would be easier if you're somewhat familiar with Linux). I've yet to find anything I cant do with Android that I used to do with my WM phone, and it just works easier. The voice search and navigation is nothing short of amazing

The ironic thing is that Sprint has a slew of new Android phones but they might actually be propping up their Winmo phones because all their android phones require their Everything plan. Many Sprint users on SERO or other legacy plans (like me) aren't willing to switch just yet.

Dr.8820 01-06-2010 02:03 AM

this whole thing is part of the never-ending saga. some people will argue for months about how great a phone is that they never touched or used, then get it and hate it. i'm not complaining though, it makes for good reading! personally, right now i have a device that operates on both cdma and gsm. i'm good lol!

x10guy 01-06-2010 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.8820 (Post 1464287)
this whole thing is part of the never-ending saga. some people will argue for months about how great a phone is that they never touched or used, then get it and hate it. i'm not complaining though, it makes for good reading! personally, right now i have a device that operates on both cdma and gsm. i'm good lol!

+1 So true, so true. I think it is just human nature to complain about what we don't have. And then when we finally get it, we complain how we don't want it anymore. lol.

Dr.8820 01-06-2010 02:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by x10guy (Post 1464298)
+1 So true, so true. I think it is just human nature to complain about what we don't have. And then when we finally get it, we complain how we don't want it anymore. lol.

it does look like a nice phone, but people will actually leave sprint just to chase down a phone on another companies network lol! then hate the phone or the coverage or the monthly charges, then want what they gave up in the 1st place lol. whatever company gets it, watch how many "there's something wrong with my phone" threads pop up lol! my wife is not into phones like me, but i got her a moment. that thing gets worse battery life than my tp!

acts 01-06-2010 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by x10guy (Post 1464232)
Sprint may not have the big "exclusive" smartphones (ie. iphone, Nexus, and the Droid somewhat) but they do have a wide variety. (they do have the Pre but it isn't as big).

What Sprint does have is the best data plans. I'm probably in the minority but I'm not interested in paying and "arm-n-leg" each month for the latest exclusive phone. Over the course of the contract, it can be $500-$800 more.

I'm with you on this 100%. aside from a few minor things, I'm doing the same thing I probably would on a nexus one that I'm doing on my touch pro. And unlike most people. somehow I'm still on an original first gen touch pro without defects. My contract is up soon, but I'm in no hurry to get a new phone. Gonna let it pan out and see what's compatible with my sero and go from there.

breakmyfootoff 01-06-2010 02:33 AM

What cracks me up is how everybody gets so personal about defending their carrier, as if they founded the company or something lol. I use Verizon because they have the best 3g coverage everywhere I go, and they had the phone I wanted. I really couldnt give less of a damn about Verizon as a company. If sprint had better 3g coverage and the phone I wanted I would be on Sprint, even if their plans were more expensive than Verizons.

acts 01-06-2010 03:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by breakmyfootoff (Post 1464334)
What cracks me up is how everybody gets so personal about defending their carrier, as if they founded the company or something lol. I use Verizon because they have the best 3g coverage everywhere I go, and they had the phone I wanted. I really couldnt give less of a damn about Verizon as a company. If sprint had better 3g coverage and the phone I wanted I would be on Sprint, even if their plans were more expensive than Verizons.

that may be your perogative, but for me, i like not being ripped off an arm and a leg for something that i think shouldn't cost so much. cost factors in as much as service to me, and obviously, if i'm going to go with a carrier who i think provides those services that meet my costs, i want that company to succeed. nobody wants to stay on a sinking ship. also, maybe it's a by product of history, but i feel like sprint gets a bad rep for things in the past. this company has done a lot to improve itself and those things deserve to be weighed upon. many sprint users probably feel that way if you ask them. you mostly hear about the negatives, never the positives.

breakmyfootoff 01-06-2010 03:14 AM

Thats exactly it though, I'm not getting ripped off. Yes, I'm paying more, but I'm also getting better 3g coverage and the phone I wanted that isnt available with any other carrier. I would be willing to pay more than I'm paying now to a different provider if that provider offered even more complete 3g coverage and a phone that I wanted. We just have different priorities. When we go to the lake, my buddies with Sprint and AT&T dont have 3g, but I do.

acts 01-06-2010 03:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by breakmyfootoff (Post 1464393)
Thats exactly it though, I'm not getting ripped off. Yes, I'm paying more, but I'm also getting better 3g coverage and the phone I wanted that isnt available with any other carrier. I would be willing to pay more than I'm paying now to a different provider if that provider offered even more complete 3g coverage and a phone that I wanted. We just have different priorities.

Yeah, it really comes down to priorities. From my perspective,
It's hard to say what's considered better 3G coverage. about a year ago, Gizmodo did a Coast to Coast 3G test, and Sprint came out on top in the most cities, and at least was very close to the other leaders in the cities it lost concerning 3G. This past summer, PCWorld/PCMag (can't remember which one off the top of my head) did an independent test across the US and Sprint was marked as most reliable. When you compare 3G map area, I'd say sprint's network coverage in areas worth comparing are almost on par with Verizon. Seriously who really needs 3G out in the middle of a nevada desert (for example), in most scenarios. Yet just because Verizon's 3G map has a little bit more 3G coverage in an area I most likely will never travel to, it's better? Or, it's better in certain cities vs other cities?

Given these things, in my opinion, I would be getting ripped off paying more for what I would say is comparable service when I can get it a lot cheaper. You're right about the phone, I may not have the phone selection I want at the moment. But at least I'm saving my money, which is a priority to me, and I have faith that the company will sooner or later give me a phone that I want. Because sooner or later, someone is bound to offer the same services at a cost that meets my expectations and then I can get the phone I want with it. Until then I have a phone I picked that can do a lot of the same functions the new phones offer.

breakmyfootoff 01-06-2010 03:44 AM

Right, it's definitely worth the price for me, I'm at the lake a lot because I'm on my Fire Dept. Scuba Rescue team and Verizon is the only carrier with 3g coverage out there. I also spend a lot of time traveling and with Verizon I usually have 3g on the road, even out in the middle of nowhere. If there was a provider that had 3g coverage EVERYWHERE in the US, I would be willing to double my plan price for that kind of coverage. I travel back and forth between Lubbock Tx and Midland Tx a lot and Sprint doesnt even have 3g in either one of those cities, much less on the highway between them.

Dr.8820 01-06-2010 03:46 AM

let me get some more popcorn, i love a good read! funny that stuff like this will go on for a couple more months! the only ones laughing are the cell companies!

x10guy 01-06-2010 03:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by breakmyfootoff (Post 1464334)

Ha ha. You are doing the same thing that cracks you up.... defending your carrier. You have it because it has the best 3G coverage for you.

Also I don't think we are necessarily defending our carriers. We are just indicating why we are using it.
You chose your carrier because of coverage, while others choose based on other reason such as price. It's all the same.

x10guy 01-06-2010 03:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by breakmyfootoff (Post 1464424)
Right, it's definitely worth the price for me, I'm at the lake a lot because I'm on my Fire Dept. Scuba Rescue team and Verizon is the only carrier with 3g coverage out there. I also spend a lot of time traveling and with Verizon I usually have 3g on the road, even out in the middle of nowhere. If there was a provider that had 3g coverage EVERYWHERE in the US, I would be willing to double my plan price for that kind of coverage. I travel back and forth between Lubbock Tx and Midland Tx a lot and Sprint doesnt even have 3g in either one of those cities,

There he goes "Defending his carrier again..." LOL.

J/K. Seriously, that's totally understandable. People choose their carrier for various reasons.

breakmyfootoff 01-06-2010 03:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by x10guy (Post 1464431)
There he goes "Defending his carrier again..." LOL.

J/K. Seriously, that's totally understandable. People choose their carrier for various reasons.

LMAO, touche :thumbright:. I'm really trying to prove it's more about personal preference and what works best for each individual than anything. I did basically say that I would dump Verizon in a heartbeat and pay even more for a provider that had better coverage :). If Sprint even offered equal coverage and had lower prices I would ditch Big Red for Sprint as well. So there :p

tokuzumi 01-06-2010 10:43 AM

I am just waiting for Gizmo5 to begin taking customers again. It will probably be part of Google Voice, and I will port my number to GV, and just use one of those mifi units to have signal when I'm not at the house. I will then be able to by any phone from any carrier, as long as that platform supports wi-fi, and google voice. I won't need to worry about wireless technologies, because I will be going through wi-fi, which is the same everywhere.

x10guy 01-06-2010 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by breakmyfootoff (Post 1464436)
LMAO, touche :thumbright:. I'm really trying to prove it's more about personal preference and what works best for each individual than anything. I did basically say that I would dump Verizon in a heartbeat and pay even more for a provider that had better coverage :). If Sprint even offered equal coverage and had lower prices I would ditch Big Red for Sprint as well. So there :p

Yup. lol. I could say the same thing about Verizon. I'll be the first to admit that it has better coverage. If they lowered their rates, I'd switch in a heartbeat. But as it stands, my Sprint coverage is fine so I choose to go with better rates.

Also originally my posts were simply about saying that it doesn't make sense to say that Sprint let their customers down again for not getting the Nexus. Verizon got it probably because it is bigger and had more to offer Google.

wannawhat31 01-06-2010 07:05 PM

I have sprint and personally I have 3g everywhere I go. N I cannot see how android is better than winmo. With apps like Skyfire, Opera Mini, Wisbar Advance, Nitrogen, etc I can never see myself switching.

breakmyfootoff 01-06-2010 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wannawhat31 (Post 1465890)
I have sprint and personally I have 3g everywhere I go. N I cannot see how android is better than winmo. With apps like Skyfire, Opera Mini, Wisbar Advance, Nitrogen, etc I can never see myself switching.

I used to say the same exact thing, but then I tried Android, and in my opinion, Android is better than WM in every aspect. I'm not here to sell Android though, or Verizon either. If you don't want to look into Android objectively, then it's your loss, not mine. I do understand your perspective though, I personally won't give the iPhone a chance because I hate apple.

x10guy 01-07-2010 03:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by breakmyfootoff (Post 1465912)
I used to say the same exact thing, but then I tried Android, and in my opinion, Android is better than WM in every aspect. I'm not here to sell Android though, or Verizon either. If you don't want to look into Android objectively, then it's your loss, not mine. I do understand your perspective though, I personally won't give the iPhone a chance because I hate apple.

Your posts totally crack me up. LOL. You laugh at people staunchly defend their carrier... but you like defending Verizon.

You tell Winmo users that it's their loss when they totally dismiss Android... but you totally dismiss the iPhone.

Not a criticism... just classic stuff. LOL.

MrObvious 01-07-2010 04:22 AM

The iPhone is the iPhone. It does what it does.

breakmyfootoff 01-07-2010 05:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by x10guy (Post 1467165)
Your posts totally crack me up. LOL. You laugh at people staunchly defend their carrier... but you like defending Verizon.

You tell Winmo users that it's their loss when they totally dismiss Android... but you totally dismiss the iPhone.

Not a criticism... just classic stuff. LOL.

I'm not really defending Verizon, but if you look at their coverage map, and compare it to Sprints, they obviously have more coverage. Take it a step further and look at the area where I live (Lubbock Tx) There is absolutely no 3g coverage anywhere near here with Sprint. Would you be with Sprint if your area was completely Edge coverage? It's not even my opinion, it is a fact, that if you want 3g coverage where I live, Verizon is the best. As far as the iphone goes, ya, thats just totally personal opinion and stubbornness :p. I do at least usually label my opinions as such, instead of claiming them to be fact :D

x10guy 01-07-2010 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by breakmyfootoff (Post 1467335)
I'm not really defending Verizon, but if you look at their coverage map, and compare it to Sprints, they obviously have more coverage. Take it a step further and look at the area where I live (Lubbock Tx) There is absolutely no 3g coverage anywhere near here with Sprint. Would you be with Sprint if your area was completely Edge coverage? It's not even my opinion, it is a fact, that if you want 3g coverage where I live, Verizon is the best. As far as the iphone goes, ya, thats just totally personal opinion and stubbornness :p. I do at least usually label my opinions as such, instead of claiming them to be fact :D

No prob... I've already said I totally get what you say about Verizon. No need to explain it again. And also, I don't think people really need to defend who they are going with... it's all subjective anyways.

Your last post about Android and the iphone just made me laugh, that's all.

breakmyfootoff 01-07-2010 05:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by x10guy (Post 1467342)
No prob... I've already said I totally get what you say about Verizon. No need to explain it again. And also, I don't think people really need to defend who they are going with... it's all subjective anyways.

Your last post about Android and the iphone just made me laugh, that's all.

I didnt take it as a personal attack :) I can sometimes be pretty opinionated lol, but I'm not afraid to admit it :D

Edit: I can actually have an unbiased convo on WM vs. Android, but I do personally feel Android is better. When it comes to the iPhone though, all bets are off lol.