PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Motorola Devices > Moto Photon 4G

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2011, 10:28 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

dfisher52 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
World Phone Unlocked?

Hi all,

I am coming from a HTC TP2. It is a "world phone" as it supports both CDMA and GSM. However, if I recall correctly, I needed to call Sprint to get the phone "SIM unlocked" so that I could use any SIM card from an overseas carrier when I am overseas, instead of the one that Sprint supplied with the phone.

First, do I need to do the same thing with the Photon, or is it good to go right out of the box as far as using European SIM cards when in Europe?

Secondly, there was another level of "unlock" that was cooked up by the "chefs" and was not officially sanctioned by Sprint, that enabled a TP2 user to install a SIM from a US domestic GSM carrier (AT&T or T-Mobile). Would I need to go through a similar process if I wanted to put an AT&T SIM card in the Photon, or is it automatic? Is it supported by Sprint? Is it even possible?

Thanks in advance for your assistance and support.
This forum ROCKS!!!

Last edited by dfisher52; 09-02-2011 at 10:31 AM.
Old 09-07-2011, 02:52 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: MoPho

krnfrk6663 is keeping up the good workkrnfrk6663 is keeping up the good workkrnfrk6663 is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to krnfrk6663 Send a message via MSN to krnfrk6663 Send a message via Yahoo to krnfrk6663
Re: World Phone Unlocked?

I'm coming from a tp2 too. I'm hoping you doing mind, but I'm piggybacking here. Sorry I have nothing to contribute. I am going to see what xda has.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:05 AM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1

photon has a gsm radio.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:58 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

dfisher52 is a n00b

krnfrk6663 -- you are welcome to come along. Hopefully, we'll find out what we need to do to be able use SIM cards other than the "roaming" card that Sprint might provide like they did with the TP2.

I think enabling the Photon to use SIM cards from overseas carriers when overseas should be easy to get Sprint to do (like with the TP2) , if its not automatic. However, I don't know know if the GSM radio is "unlocked" for use with SIM cards from the US domestic GSM carriers (AT&T and T-Mobile, etc.), or if it is even doable. It took the efforts of a couple of the super chefs to "unlock" the TP2's GSM radio so it would work with SIM cards from the domestic GSM carriers.

Hopefully, we'll get some answers soon.
Old 09-07-2011, 02:10 PM
acs tester

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1

guys may wanna follow this thread.

General ***Official GSM/World Phone/Sim Card Discussion Thread*** - Android Forums
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-07-2011, 02:32 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

dfisher52 is a n00b

darren.wlsn1 --

Thank-you for the link. Looks like a lot of others are asking the same questions.

Thanks again!
Old 09-07-2011, 03:16 PM
acs tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfisher52 View Post
darren.wlsn1 --

Thank-you for the link. Looks like a lot of others are asking the same questions.

Thanks again!
np, its just gonna take some time im sure. hell tp2 was same way.
Old 09-09-2011, 04:54 PM
PPCG's Travelling Nomad
Pocket PC: Samsung Note 3

Mojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on repMojary is halfway to VIP status based on rep

it should already be set for using overseas. when i got the tp2 when it came out, i went to asia and used it. did not even have to call sprint. just bought a pre-paid sim, popped it in, and off i went with my calls and data connection. same thing with my bb tour.

the photon should be the same since it is also a world phone just like the other two i mentioned above. it should already be set to be used overseas without having to contact sprint. you would only contact sprint if you're activating the sim card that sprint includes with the phone to use while overseas.

Never argue with a stupid person. First, they'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience!
Old 09-13-2011, 03:05 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

dfisher52 is a n00b

Mojary,

Thanks for the update. It sounds like it should work overseas.

Thanks again.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:20 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Rhodium_W_U/Hero_U_R/MoPho_U_R

Jalupinja is just getting started

The TP2 "radio world unlocked" is and always was in the TP2 development section alowing you and me to use any GSM sim from any GSM carrier in the us but breaks it for use over seas!!!

I believe there is a unlocked radio over in xda-developers for our photons but havent made it that far yet.... I'll share the link when i rus accross it again.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Motorola Devices > Moto Photon 4G

Tags
gsm, sim, sprint, unlock sim, world phone