PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Moto Photon 4G (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=392)
-   -   World Phone Unlocked? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=146816)

dfisher52 09-02-2011 10:28 AM

World Phone Unlocked?

Hi all,

I am coming from a HTC TP2. It is a "world phone" as it supports both CDMA and GSM. However, if I recall correctly, I needed to call Sprint to get the phone "SIM unlocked" so that I could use any SIM card from an overseas carrier when I am overseas, instead of the one that Sprint supplied with the phone.

First, do I need to do the same thing with the Photon, or is it good to go right out of the box as far as using European SIM cards when in Europe?

Secondly, there was another level of "unlock" that was cooked up by the "chefs" and was not officially sanctioned by Sprint, that enabled a TP2 user to install a SIM from a US domestic GSM carrier (AT&T or T-Mobile). Would I need to go through a similar process if I wanted to put an AT&T SIM card in the Photon, or is it automatic? Is it supported by Sprint? Is it even possible?

Thanks in advance for your assistance and support.
This forum ROCKS!!!

krnfrk6663 09-07-2011 02:52 AM

Re: World Phone Unlocked?

I'm coming from a tp2 too. I'm hoping you doing mind, but I'm piggybacking here. :p Sorry I have nothing to contribute. I am going to see what xda has. ;)

darren.wlsn1 09-07-2011 06:05 AM

photon has a gsm radio.

dfisher52 09-07-2011 01:58 PM

krnfrk6663 -- you are welcome to come along. :) Hopefully, we'll find out what we need to do to be able use SIM cards other than the "roaming" card that Sprint might provide like they did with the TP2.

I think enabling the Photon to use SIM cards from overseas carriers when overseas should be easy to get Sprint to do (like with the TP2) , if its not automatic. However, I don't know know if the GSM radio is "unlocked" for use with SIM cards from the US domestic GSM carriers (AT&T and T-Mobile, etc.), or if it is even doable. It took the efforts of a couple of the super chefs to "unlock" the TP2's GSM radio so it would work with SIM cards from the domestic GSM carriers.

Hopefully, we'll get some answers soon.

darren.wlsn1 09-07-2011 02:10 PM

guys may wanna follow this thread.

General ***Official GSM/World Phone/Sim Card Discussion Thread*** - Android Forums

dfisher52 09-07-2011 02:32 PM

darren.wlsn1 --

Thank-you for the link. Looks like a lot of others are asking the same questions.

Thanks again! :)

darren.wlsn1 09-07-2011 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dfisher52 (Post 2143424)
darren.wlsn1 --

Thank-you for the link. Looks like a lot of others are asking the same questions.

Thanks again! :)

np, its just gonna take some time im sure. hell tp2 was same way.

Mojary 09-09-2011 04:54 PM

it should already be set for using overseas. when i got the tp2 when it came out, i went to asia and used it. did not even have to call sprint. just bought a pre-paid sim, popped it in, and off i went with my calls and data connection. same thing with my bb tour.

the photon should be the same since it is also a world phone just like the other two i mentioned above. it should already be set to be used overseas without having to contact sprint. you would only contact sprint if you're activating the sim card that sprint includes with the phone to use while overseas.

dfisher52 09-13-2011 03:05 PM

Mojary,

Thanks for the update. It sounds like it should work overseas.

Thanks again.

Jalupinja 12-06-2011 11:20 PM

The TP2 "radio world unlocked" is and always was in the TP2 development section alowing you and me:) to use any GSM sim from any GSM carrier in the us but breaks it for use over seas!!!

I believe there is a unlocked radio over in xda-developers for our photons but havent made it that far yet.... I'll share the link when i rus accross it again.