PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Motorola Devices > Moto Droid
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2010, 03:46 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Motorola Droid
Carrier: Verizon

gardobus is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Rooting & Themes-The Basics Please

Hmm have you installed the right drivers?
Old 06-08-2010, 04:24 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Moto Droid
Carrier: Alltel/Verizon
Threadstarter

xxmillertimexx is just getting started

Ahh, Sorry. If you read the edit of my last post I got that problem fixed-now I'm onto a new one; the rom didn't actually install.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:15 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Okay, sorry I haven't been back all day!

Are you trying to install it as a zip file?

Here, I wrote this for a friend. This should help you. If you follow these directions then you'll end up with the latest Froyo with a new baseband (there is newer out but I'm waiting to hear about other experiences before using it), a kernel that will allow you to overclock, and a nice clean black theme. If you don't want any of the above, just skip that file/install and the rest will still work. Hope this helps:

How to install Froyo (Leak #2) on a Droid that is rooted with Clockwork Recovery:

Your data will be erased so you will have to reinstall apps and change settings again.
Your SD card will not be touched.

Needed Files:
Froyo Leak 2

Optional Files:
1GHz Kernel
New Baseband
Clean Black Theme for Froyo
(Screenshots of theme here for you to decide if DFW or DNFW)

Directions:
Put the baseband, kernel, and theme (if you decide to) zip files on your sdcard.

Then on your computer, unzip the Froyo file and it should give you a folder (2010-06-08.blah.blah.blah). Put that folder on your sdcard in the /clockworkmod/backup directory. You should already have some other in there so you'll know you're in the right spot. I recommend renaming it to 2010-06-08-FROYO or something so you can find it easier later.

Now, on your phone, go into Rom Manager and flash the recovery (first option) once. Then choose the second option (Reboot into Recovery).

Go to nandroid > backup and let it do its thing.

When done, go to the main recovery screen (power buttons goes back if you forgot) and go to "wipe data/factory reset" and then Yes.

When thats done, go to nandroid > restore and pick the one that you extracted earlier. Let it install.

When THATS done, go to "Install zip from sdcard" > "Choose zip from sdcard" and then pick the baseband-update.zip file. Let it install. Then do the same for the kernel zip file. Then if you chose to install the theme, do that also.

Now you can go back to the main screen and choose the reboot option. First boot might take a while, then you'll be in Froyo goodness with an overclockable kernel.

To install flash, install this APK like you normally would: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=HO8UZSDW

Hopefully I didn't miss anything.
This post has been thanked 3 times.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:54 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Gahh, I'm sorry to bog you down with questions! But I'm kinda worried about the overclocking? Does it heat up the phone more than usual? Use a lot of battery power? How safe is it really?

Edit: When I go to install Froyo from nandroid-restore it goes for about 2 seconds and then gives me a message saying "MD5 mismatch!" and quits. Is this what it should be doing? Or is it not working?

Edit: Oh, it did just as before. It didn't actually install Froyo. It looks as if its 2.1 re-install. I'm not sure why-I followed the exact instructions from above.

Last edited by xxmillertimexx; 06-08-2010 at 08:14 PM.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:58 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

The MD5 mismatch isn't supposed to happen. That means that your download was corrupt or when you extracted/copied files they became corrupt. The MD5 check is just making sure that was you are about to install is exactly what the person who built the nandroid wanted it to be, with no errors or modifications.

Try downloading the Froyo zip again and extracting it again. Delete the folder you created in /clockworkmod/backup/ that had the bad MD5.

As for overclocking, I have had mine at 1ghz since they figured out how to overclock these things lol and I've had no issues. My brother and friends all have theirs at 1ghz also. Also, when you OC you can set it to slow down when the battery gets hot so it will never go over whatever temperature you set. You can also make it run SLOWER while asleep, this makes it run cooler when its just sitting in your pocket.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-09-2010, 11:13 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Ahh yes. That's the answer I was looking for! I'm re-downloading now and I'll let you know.

And I actually decided to OC, but only too 800 mhz. It does get a little warm but not too hot. I have heard that you can control what temps it stops at and what not using SetCPU but I'm not really caring enough to buy it. Lol that's just how cheap I am.

Now I am using a kernel that has 7 frequencies? The highest is 800 but if I'm not using the full 800 I assumed that it will use the smaller, other frequencies to keep from overheating and battery drainage? I may be wrong. I just assumed this.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:30 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Kernels default to stock speed until you install SetCPU. So even if you get a 1.3ghz kernel, without SetCPU it will run stock speed.

If you don't want to pay, the developer gives SetCPU away for free in a thread on xda-developers. Go have a look.

And yeah you can set the max/min speed that it runs while you use it, while its sleeping, charging, speed when it gets too hot, you can even set it to slow down when your battery reaches certain percentages.

It's pretty nice.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:38 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Alright I'll have to take a look.

And I got Froyo to install-theres ANOTHER problem. It gets me to the welcome screen where you are supposed to press the Android to begin, well when I go to press anything (even power to turn the screen on) it vibrates longer then usual and turns off. It doesn't even reboot, just turns off.

Edit: I went back and restored just to Froyo without the theme/kernel/baseband.
What does the baseband do exactly? Sort of like a radio?

Edit Again: I guess I should stop editing my posts and just wait to see! lol I actually got it to work. I did what I said I was going to do in my last edit. Thanks man, it means a lot. I'll let you know if anything else goes wrong.

Last edited by xxmillertimexx; 06-09-2010 at 12:43 PM.
Old 06-09-2010, 01:49 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Well once you flash the baseband, it stays that way. It isn't affected by loading new roms or wiping. So you have the new baseband now. It is like a radio yeah, it helps to improve reception and battery life supposedly.

I've had others follow the guide and so far it has worked for everyone. Not sure why it gave you some trouble but I'm glad you are moving in the right direction.
Old 06-09-2010, 02:15 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Well I do know that the kernel I was using doesn't work with Froyo. I dl SetCPU and then installed the kernel I was using before and when I rebooted it kinda froze up and turned itself off. I finally just restored back to Froyo without using that kernel.

Thanks for your help man I really appreciate it.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Motorola Devices > Moto Droid

Tags
droid, metamorph, rooting