PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Motorola Devices > Moto Droid
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2009, 04:58 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: DROID
Carrier: Verizon/Alltel

Midnght_J is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via MSN to Midnght_J Send a message via Yahoo to Midnght_J
Need help quick to decide Droid or keep my tp2

How is syncing with a laptop to transfer outlook contacts and such. ?
How is browsing on it are there ie site u cant access cus of the browser?
how is the sd card used meaning can i run apps from it store music and ect?
what cant be done with the sd card?
how is watching movies and games?
are the any prog that take the place of ms office word excel ect....
Thanks i am fixing to drive down to verizon to swap my tp2 to join the Droid Revolution....
Old 12-21-2009, 05:08 PM
Zombway: Eat Flesh
Pocket PC: Droid
Carrier: VZW

z0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIP
Re: Need help quick to decide Droid or keep my tp2

just export your contact to a CSV file and then import it into a gmail account and they'll sync as soon as you log into android

the browsing is very nice and smooth if multitouch is your thing theres dolphin that supports that make sure download "download clutch" and you can download anything from the browser

the apps install the main memory but the big files are stored on the SD to save space on the phone.

Games is awesome as the emulators (NES, SNES, GBA, etc) run flawlessly. as for videos no XviD,DivX support as i last heard.

Theres programs to allow you to view office files but you have to pay for the full version to be able to edit them.
Old 12-21-2009, 05:20 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Droid / Omnia II
Carrier: The Dark Side

parkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on rep

There's a new app that plays divx/xvid on the Droid, it is call yxflash. Download it for free in the market to give it a shot. Unfortunately, the free version only plays for two minutes and the full version is like 30 bucks!

And speaking to the original post, I would concur with Zombie's assessment. Most things from windows mobile can be done without unreasonable amounts of effort on the Droid. I loved, and still do, WinMo, but you would have to beat me dead to get me to give up my new Droid and go back to WinMo as a daily driver!
Why donate to one person, when you can support the site that makes it all possible instead

Last edited by parkjam; 12-21-2009 at 05:22 PM.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 12-21-2009, 06:52 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Moto Droid 2
Carrier: Verizon

tvandyck7 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartvandyck7 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartvandyck7 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnght_J View Post
Thanks i am fixing to drive down to verizon to swap my tp2 to join the Droid Revolution....
This is what I did a few weeks ago and I don't regret it one single bit. The Driod is worlds ahead of the TP2 in my opinion. I haven't found anything yet that I use that I could do on my TP2 that I can't on my Droid, but I have found MANY things that the Droid will do that the TP2 couldn't even attempt to do. Needless to say, the speed difference is night and day. You won't even miss your TP2.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:50 PM
That guy with the axe
Pocket PC: MotoDroid
Carrier: Verizon

breakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on rep

I'm guessing this post is too late lol, but yeah, everyones pretty much already covered the basic stuff. I would just like to add that a lot of people get hung up on the Xvid/DivX stuff, but the Droid will play stuff thats formatted for the iPhone, so there's a LOT of content out there for it lol. Plus converting videos isnt really that big of an issue.

The software to be able to edit Word files is on sale for 15.00 right now too BTW if anyone here wants it but didnt want to pay full price

My primary waste of time and money http://www.cardomain.com/id/FireDiverZ28
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 12-21-2009, 08:50 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Verizon Touch Pro 2
Carrier: VZW

ac520 is just getting started

Do it man!

I had my TP2 for just about 3 months (bought it the first day it went on sale and paid extra for Saturday delivery). It was by far the best phone I had ever owned. Then after unlocking and flashing over and over and over again I finally came to the realization that, although the TP2 is a totally amazing device and the moding community is equally awesome… it just does not perform as well as I was expecting. So I sold it on eBay and bought my Droid a couple weeks ago and have had no regrets!!!!

As far as Outlook goes…

Not sure if you are using Exchange or not but one of the big advantages I found with android was that I am now able to sync with multiple Exchange accounts which WinMo would not let you do.

This is huge for me.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:21 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Carrier: Whom ever I choose.

king_tee is keeping up the good workking_tee is keeping up the good work

Answers in bold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnght_J
How is syncing with a laptop to transfer outlook contacts and such. ?

Check out this link it will let you know how to sync your contacts to gmail so they can be synced to your phone.
http://cellphoneforums.net/motorola-...oid-2-0-a.html

How is browsing on it are there ie site u cant access cus of the browser?

All sites that i browse work fine.

how is the sd card used meaning can i run apps from it store music and ect?

Some of the apps that you download to the phone use the SD card to store cache's, data and such. It's also used for storing your movies, music, ringtones, pic's, flashing custom roms etc.

what cant be done with the SD card?

Apps to sd as of yet. Apps to SD means that instead of just downloading and running apps from the phone you would also be able to download and run them from the SD card.

how is watching movies and games?

Watching movies is pretty good no worse than any other phone, depends the quality of the encode.
As of now games pretty much suck but thats up to the developers to fix

are the any prog that take the place of ms office word excel ect....

You can open any pdf. file that's emailed to you. I forget the name of the program that's used to open it. It's a native app tho. Just test it out by emailing yourself an attachment and opening it up on your phone.

Welcome to the Android/Droid revolution!!!!

I posted these answers to your questions in this http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=98637 thread.

Old 12-21-2009, 09:49 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Midnght_J is a n00b

ok well i chickened out on my first attempt to swap they were all ready to do it but i still have some questions. I asked the sales agent if he could do a soft reset on it so it would be like out of the box. it was real slugish at the store prob had every free app loaded on it from all the customers tinkering with them. Well he had about as much knowledge on the droid as the butterfinger candy bar he was chewing while trying to talk to me. WTH... I found scrolling on the browser sluggish. I need to know if anyone out there can find a way to listen to this link its to 107.5 The Game http://gateway.andohs.net/player/?sid=2993&nid=2920, its a radio station about football and other USC sports and ect. I have to listen to it online where i live now because it doesnt reach here at the beach. Also it looks like there may be an issue with the rockrer switch getting reall lose or breaking maybe but this is the store model..... Also the key board is a lil small and look like it may ware away under some serious texting . I thank you for your replys lol im on the wall ready to fall to a side. Also can the droid tesxt to speech for sms and im messages like the TP2. just wondering its no deal breaker but the radio station is.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:52 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Midnght_J is a n00b

Can you watch videos like youtube full screen i was only able to view them in a medium window?
Old 12-21-2009, 09:58 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Carrier: Whom ever I choose.

king_tee is keeping up the good workking_tee is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnght_J View Post
Can you watch videos like youtube full screen i was only able to view them in a medium window?
Yes you can. While watching a video click on menu>more>watch in high quality and it sometimes will make the video go full screen. It all depends on how the video was uploaded and recorded. Also when you have wifi on it will make the videos play in high quality by default.

You also might wanna check this out. How to set high quality video as the default setting even when on 3G.
http://alldroid.org/viewtopic.php?f=210&t=811

Last edited by king_tee; 12-21-2009 at 10:01 PM. Reason: More info

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Motorola Devices > Moto Droid