PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Moto Droid (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=123)
-   -   google voice - who's got it and what do you think so far? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=101844)

_xv6800 12-15-2009 02:17 PM

google voice - who's got it and what do you think so far?

I recently purchased a google voice invite on ebay for $1.90.

I got a new google voice number assigned.

I added my cell number but not as a cell number. I set it up to ring my cell number when the google number is called. I didn't set up forwarding of SMS/txt.

I got the google voice app from the marketplace.

I told people to start using the google voice number for text/sms and even calls.

So now I get all my sms on the google voice app w/o having to pay for messaging from verizon. I can also use a browser to send/recieve sms from the same account.

I have even made a few VOIP calls from the droid using wifi and even 3g

Overall it is a very nice addition to the droid and has replaced messaging on my home page (home page has; phone, music, browser, google voice and 4x3 calendar plus weather widget)

So I am just wondering if anyone else is using google voice on the droid?

Seems I could almost swap my voice plus data plan for just a data plan and be good to go... not sure vzw would be happy 'bout it but hey it's a brave new world... In fact I would not be suprised that in 5 years time we'll all be using VOIP primarily for phone calls from our devices...

blazingwolf 12-15-2009 02:19 PM

Re: google voice - who's got it and what do you think so far?

You paid for a free service?

goonygugle 12-15-2009 02:37 PM

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.0.1; en-us; Droid Build/ESD56) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

You are aware that it isn't using voip? Make sure you have your Google voice number on your friends and family list or expect a big bill

goonygugle 12-15-2009 02:39 PM

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.0.1; en-us; Droid Build/ESD56) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

Also I have a Google voice invite if someone needs,just pm me

breakmyfootoff 12-15-2009 10:07 PM

I actually seem to get better call quality with GoogleVoice :dontknow: I have a 2 hour commute to work and there are 2 spots out in the middle of nowhere that I have trouble with my voice connection, but if I'm using google voice calls work perfectly in those spots. Maybe Verizons Data coverage is better than their voice coverage lol.

banden 12-15-2009 11:07 PM

I live in NC but my family is all in BC Canada, so google voice saves me about $20/month in long distance plan/minute charges.

I also have it set up to ring at both my house and cell phone.

I use it for SMS and have it convert to email to get rid of my messaging charges.

Over all it's a great app and actually makes my calling plan cheaper than when I had a standard non-data phone.

_xv6800 12-16-2009 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blazingwolf (Post 1415202)
You paid for a free service?

yeah I know... I requested an invite months ago and still hadn't recieved one and didn't know anyone with one to give so yes I paid $1.90 for a free service... kinda sad, but it saves me $5 a month since I'm not buying 250 texts from vzw anymore
Quote:

Originally Posted by goonygugle (Post 1415236)

You are aware that it isn't using voip? Make sure you have your Google voice number on your friends and family list or expect a big bill

I knew the call forward option wasn't voip, but I thought calling out was using voip when I chose to call using google voice.

Seems breakmyfootoff was also under the impression his google voice call was through the 3g data side as well.

I'm off to search the google voice help to understand more but maybe you can enlighten me on how it works?

_xv6800 12-16-2009 10:22 AM

seems to be a good link on this;

http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0Ae8glDUXDsh9ZGR2eG43cjRfMzNkOTM4ZjNjeA& hl=en

goonygugle 12-16-2009 12:40 PM

Bahjsjsjakaj

nerdherd 12-16-2009 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goonygugle (Post 1417585)
Bahjsjsjakaj

Ah, I see. Thanks for your input ;P