PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Moto Droid (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=123)
-   -   google voice - who's got it and what do you think so far? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=101844)

_xv6800 12-15-2009 02:17 PM

google voice - who's got it and what do you think so far?

I recently purchased a google voice invite on ebay for $1.90.

I got a new google voice number assigned.

I added my cell number but not as a cell number. I set it up to ring my cell number when the google number is called. I didn't set up forwarding of SMS/txt.

I got the google voice app from the marketplace.

I told people to start using the google voice number for text/sms and even calls.

So now I get all my sms on the google voice app w/o having to pay for messaging from verizon. I can also use a browser to send/recieve sms from the same account.

I have even made a few VOIP calls from the droid using wifi and even 3g

Overall it is a very nice addition to the droid and has replaced messaging on my home page (home page has; phone, music, browser, google voice and 4x3 calendar plus weather widget)

So I am just wondering if anyone else is using google voice on the droid?

Seems I could almost swap my voice plus data plan for just a data plan and be good to go... not sure vzw would be happy 'bout it but hey it's a brave new world... In fact I would not be suprised that in 5 years time we'll all be using VOIP primarily for phone calls from our devices...

blazingwolf 12-15-2009 02:19 PM

Re: google voice - who's got it and what do you think so far?

You paid for a free service?

goonygugle 12-15-2009 02:37 PM

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.0.1; en-us; Droid Build/ESD56) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

You are aware that it isn't using voip? Make sure you have your Google voice number on your friends and family list or expect a big bill

goonygugle 12-15-2009 02:39 PM

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.0.1; en-us; Droid Build/ESD56) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

Also I have a Google voice invite if someone needs,just pm me

breakmyfootoff 12-15-2009 10:07 PM

I actually seem to get better call quality with GoogleVoice :dontknow: I have a 2 hour commute to work and there are 2 spots out in the middle of nowhere that I have trouble with my voice connection, but if I'm using google voice calls work perfectly in those spots. Maybe Verizons Data coverage is better than their voice coverage lol.

banden 12-15-2009 11:07 PM

I live in NC but my family is all in BC Canada, so google voice saves me about $20/month in long distance plan/minute charges.

I also have it set up to ring at both my house and cell phone.

I use it for SMS and have it convert to email to get rid of my messaging charges.

Over all it's a great app and actually makes my calling plan cheaper than when I had a standard non-data phone.

_xv6800 12-16-2009 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blazingwolf (Post 1415202)
You paid for a free service?

yeah I know... I requested an invite months ago and still hadn't recieved one and didn't know anyone with one to give so yes I paid $1.90 for a free service... kinda sad, but it saves me $5 a month since I'm not buying 250 texts from vzw anymore
Quote:

Originally Posted by goonygugle (Post 1415236)

You are aware that it isn't using voip? Make sure you have your Google voice number on your friends and family list or expect a big bill

I knew the call forward option wasn't voip, but I thought calling out was using voip when I chose to call using google voice.

Seems breakmyfootoff was also under the impression his google voice call was through the 3g data side as well.

I'm off to search the google voice help to understand more but maybe you can enlighten me on how it works?

_xv6800 12-16-2009 10:22 AM

seems to be a good link on this;

http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0Ae8glDUXDsh9ZGR2eG43cjRfMzNkOTM4ZjNjeA& hl=en

goonygugle 12-16-2009 12:40 PM

Bahjsjsjakaj

nerdherd 12-16-2009 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goonygugle (Post 1417585)
Bahjsjsjakaj

Ah, I see. Thanks for your input ;P

_xv6800 12-16-2009 01:56 PM

okay. dokey ... back to the topic at hand...

so no it isn't doing VOIP. If you read the doc above you can find out how to set up your droid to do VOIP although it is more involved than just downloading the voice app...

so the main thing for me at least is that it does give you free SMS capabilities

breakmyfootoff 12-16-2009 04:20 PM

That still doesnt explain why I had better signal and clearer louder voice calls through Google Voice, maybe it was just in my head, but I called the same person 2 or three times switching back and forth between Gvoice and Verizon just to evaluate what I percieved to be a quality difference and the person on the other end said it sounded more clear to him as well :S. Just coincidence perhaps.

z0mbiexx 12-16-2009 04:24 PM

i must be out the loop i still don't have a GVoice account :/

goonygugle 12-16-2009 07:44 PM

sorry about the earlier post, i was editing my post and kept getting phone calls so i just smacked a few buttons and hit sumbit. as long as you add your google voice number to your friends and family list you wont be charged for the phone calls. And as for using it with sms, it sucks because the messeges are not pushed but checked every 5 minutes and not to mention no mms. google voice has lots of potential but i have no real use for it yet.

cg83 12-17-2009 07:40 AM

i guessing im missing something info...........so i'll ask

is it free?

how does it work with using your own number? i wanna keep my Verizon number. i just basically want to use it since it has Visual Voice Mail.

z0mbiexx 12-17-2009 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cg83 (Post 1419980)
i guessing im missing something info...........so i'll ask

is it free?

how does it work with using your own number? i wanna keep my Verizon number. i just basically want to use it since it has Visual Voice Mail.

i set mine up with my own number but i don't have friends and family in my plan anymore since they switched me from alltel.. and its another $10/month to add it so i just deactivated the whole voicemail from google but it does allow it.

arelas 12-17-2009 11:08 AM

Wow! I never thought of it that way!

Quote:

Originally Posted by goonygugle (Post 1417585)

Bahjsjsjakaj

arelas 12-17-2009 11:09 AM

Lol, no problem. It actually gave me a much needed laugh this morning. I use it just for voice mail right now. I was using YouMail before and honestly I think I liked it better. I switched once I got my invite and because it had free transcription. So far I'm not impressed with the transcription. I think in time it should get better.

Quote:

Originally Posted by goonygugle (Post 1418768)
sorry about the earlier post, i was editing my post and kept getting phone calls so i just smacked a few buttons and hit sumbit. as long as you add your google voice number to your friends and family list you wont be charged for the phone calls. And as for using it with sms, it sucks because the messeges are not pushed but checked every 5 minutes and not to mention no mms. google voice has lots of potential but i have no real use for it yet.

JonV 12-17-2009 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arelas (Post 1420255)
...So far I'm not impressed with the transcription. I think in time it should get better.

I actually get a good chuckle from some of the transcriptions of voicemails! Some range from humorous to totally unintelligible depending on the caller, length and message. I can usually get the gist but often have to listen and say "oh that's what they said!". Still it's nice to have the option to read OR listen.

jone216 12-17-2009 05:30 PM

i have one google voice invite first person pm me with there email address get it

iLogiK 12-17-2009 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonV (Post 1420676)
I actually get a good chuckle from some of the transcriptions of voicemails! Some range from humorous to totally unintelligible depending on the caller, length and message. I can usually get the gist but often have to listen and say "oh that's what they said!". Still it's nice to have the option to read OR listen.

Yea its pretty funny, sometimes the callers just hang up after a few seconds so there is just silence and it still transcribes the silence into words :laughing6:

PM me with your email addy if someone needs an invite.

tpeazy 12-18-2009 03:32 PM

If anyone has a google voice invite...can you send it to me please? Thanx in advance...You can pm me or hit me up on twitter.

Tp