PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   LG Fathom (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=292)
-   -   Different Providers Other Than Verizon... AT&T, metroPCS? Unlocking SIM GSM? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=148058)

n1nj4Lo 11-24-2011 02:40 AM

Re: Different Providers Other Than Verizon... AT&T, metroPCS? Unlocking SIM GSM?

Cool I might try metroPCS First, as I've heard of 3G problems with AT&T and it's 10 bucks less than AT&T, plus I could also get unlimited international text messaging and calling for 5 bucks extra.

Then again I also like metroPCS's true caller ID, most providers say they have caller id but it only works if ya have the contact added... metro's works just like any regular home phone caller id and displays it all without even having to do anything.

EyeB 11-24-2011 03:13 AM

Re: Different Providers Other Than Verizon... AT&T, metroPCS? Unlocking SIM GSM?

Since I've been looking at gsm phones lately

I've kind of concluded it might be better to buy oversea (non-US in this case) gsm phones. The technology is the same for 3g/4g if you research the phone. Benefit is also you get an "unlocked" phone to start with. Plus asia/europe are where phones are being offered first, US just isn't the big draw for cell phones anymore and they come to US after the other countries now.

I had a site where you could buy phones from there (legit) but I lost it, lol I found it on xda so I'll look for it again and post back if I find it

n1nj4Lo 11-25-2011 01:35 AM

My only other question is with AT&T is the IMEI recognized as a smartphone requiring you to pay for extra data or not? I read somewhere that smartphones aren't eligible for the 50 a month unlimited everything prepaid plan...

pizzaboy192 11-25-2011 08:27 PM

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (Windows Mobile; WCE; Opera Mobi/WMD-50430; U; en) Presto/2.4.13 Version/10.00)

Quote:

Originally Posted by n1nj4Lo
My only other question is with AT&T is the IMEI recognized as a smartphone requiring you to pay for extra data or not? I read somewhere that smartphones aren't eligible for the 50 a month unlimited everything prepaid plan...

I don't know what AT&T does, but T-Mobile hasn't complained about the Fathom yet. if you absolutely need to, you can spoof the imei while flashing.

n1nj4Lo 11-25-2011 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pizzaboy192 (Post 2157273)
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (Windows Mobile; WCE; Opera Mobi/WMD-50430; U; en) Presto/2.4.13 Version/10.00)

I don't know what AT&T does, but T-Mobile hasn't complained about the Fathom yet. if you absolutely need to, you can spoof the imei while flashing.

Thats good to know about T-Mobile. Are their speeds faster than AT&T? I was wondering about that and if there any problems like the one AT&T speed problem one guy listed in this forum about not connecting to 3g... Also what would be the effect if I paid for 4g speeds but only had 3g device? Faster speeds or nothing at all and still just 3g speeds?

pizzaboy192 11-25-2011 10:02 PM

i'll look into it, but the phone on T-Mobile has a datablock on the SIM so i haven't tried data.
from what i have read, the fathom should be able to connect at full 3g utms for t-mobile due to same bands. AT&T uses a different 3g band than t-mobile in the US to keep people from carrier swapping.
and no, 4G won't help with a phone that can't handle 4G.

n1nj4Lo 11-25-2011 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pizzaboy192 (Post 2157279)

i'll look into it, but the phone on T-Mobile has a datablock on the SIM so i haven't tried data.
from what i have read, the fathom should be able to connect at full 3g utms for t-mobile due to same bands. AT&T uses a different 3g band than t-mobile in the US to keep people from carrier swapping.
and no, 4G won't help with a phone that can't handle 4G.

Okay cool, thats what I thought about the 4g on a 3g device, be nice if it could happen...

So do you have T-Mobile?

pizzaboy192 11-25-2011 10:17 PM

I am on a Verizon unlimited plan, ($30 a month)but my gf went to the fathom after her q9h died... and before that she had a moto krazr and before that she had the samsung gravity 2. the fathom is the only one that stands up to her so far.

n1nj4Lo 11-26-2011 11:59 AM

I assume the moment I had internet working on t-mobile (Just a matter of adding a new connection and what not), I could install your ArcSoft Be Gone T-Mobile edition and have working mms? Or no?

pizzaboy192 11-26-2011 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by n1nj4Lo
I assume the moment I had internet working on t-mobile (Just a matter of adding a new connection and what not), I could install your ArcSoft Be Gone T-Mobile edition and have working mms? Or no?

even easier than that. drop in your sim and then head to my site. i've got the connection packs and the remover in the same place.
should work fine.