PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   LG Fathom (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=292)
-   -   Different Providers Other Than Verizon... AT&T, metroPCS? Unlocking SIM GSM? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=148058)

n1nj4Lo 11-20-2011 02:17 AM

Different Providers Other Than Verizon... AT&T, metroPCS? Unlocking SIM GSM?

I'd love to do the 50 bucks a month unlimited plan... But is it possible?

What providers does everyone have and use...

Also how hard is it to unlock the sim card, if it isn't already unlocked?

n1nj4Lo 11-20-2011 08:49 PM

Re: Has Anyone Managed to Get This on The Verizon PrePaid Plan?

Hrmm if I can't do metroPCS or INpulse Verizon prepaid (Don't want Page Plus Cellular and their limited data) I might try and take it over to Shaka Mobile: http://www.shakamobile.com/index.php/shop/plans 60 bucks unlimited everything.

Shaka is a Sprint/Verizon MVNO and they've got a Samsung ACE on their phone list, to be purchased... So if I successfully got it turned on I could get them to tell me the MMS and Web settings for the ACE...... Hopefully that would work.

fixxxer2012 11-20-2011 08:51 PM

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.7; en-us; Incredible 2 Build/GRI40; CyanogenMod-7) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Id watch out for those 3rd party companies. Stick with the big ones.

n1nj4Lo 11-20-2011 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fixxxer2008 (Post 2156599)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.7; en-us; Incredible 2 Build/GRI40; CyanogenMod-7) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Id watch out for those 3rd party companies. Stick with the big ones.

Well Page Plus Cellular is a 3rd party, and I was completely satisfied with them, just left cause of the limited data. I'd really advise anyone against metroPCS Flashing, once a phone is flashed it's damn near impossible to rebrand it back to the original service provider...

I'm waiting and hoping ReachOut Wireless comes out with a unlimited everything plan, I doubt they're going to anytime soon they're one of 3 government funded cellphone companies ya know free service if ya get social security or food stamps. But I don't see them having an unlimited everything plan anytime soon. Plus not to mention Shaka uses Sprint and Verizon towers, how can ya go wrong with that?

What are some Verizon MVNO's you'd suggest with Unlimited everything? I don't wanna get tied into a contract.

Or maybe AT&T Prepaid unlimited everything... 50 a month, how hard is it to unlock them sim card and set up the web and mms?

fixxxer2012 11-20-2011 09:17 PM

Ive never used prepaid so im not sure.

eric12341 11-21-2011 02:10 PM

watch out for those prepaids that use sprint's towers, ull be having dial up level internet speeds. their new network.sprint.com site is also a joke

n1nj4Lo 11-21-2011 07:46 PM

I was gunna retitle this but can't...

So I'm talking to someone who says they could flash it to metroPCS, seeing the problem listed here with at&t 3g I might try... My question is how hard would it be to get web and mms working if it was flashed to metroPCS, I don't like metro but I do like their 40 bucks a month unlimited everything...

I'm at a toss up between metroPCS and AT&T.

Dr.8820 11-22-2011 08:15 AM

Wirelessly posted (WP7 Beta Tester: Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 6.1; Trident/5.0; XBLWP7; ZuneWP7))

MetroPCS is CDMA, AT&T is GSM...you can't take a GSM phone and make it work on CDMA, just throwing that out there :).

n1nj4Lo 11-22-2011 03:07 PM

Re: Different Providers Other Than Verizon... AT&T, metroPCS? Unlocking SIM GSM?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.8820 (Post 2156801)
Wirelessly posted (WP7 Beta Tester: Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 6.1; Trident/5.0; XBLWP7; ZuneWP7))

MetroPCS is CDMA, AT&T is GSM...you can't take a GSM phone and make it work on CDMA, just throwing that out there :).

The Fathom is dual band CDMA & GSM...

So I thought it'd be able to work on eiither or.

I've seen people using it on AT&T but nothing on metroPCS

Like my HTC TP2 T7380 is dual band CDMA & GSM and it's on Boost's CDMA Network and people have flashed it to metroPCS

pizzaboy192 11-24-2011 02:12 AM

Re: Different Providers Other Than Verizon... AT&T, metroPCS? Unlocking SIM GSM?

the fathom has no metropcs Rom. But, if you search xda, you can find mms cabs for any and all, carriers. I have a gsm fathom on t-mobile and my Verizon unlimited one.
to unlock is as easy as calling Verizon and getting the unlock code if it isn't already unlocked.

n1nj4Lo 11-24-2011 02:40 AM

Cool I might try metroPCS First, as I've heard of 3G problems with AT&T and it's 10 bucks less than AT&T, plus I could also get unlimited international text messaging and calling for 5 bucks extra.

Then again I also like metroPCS's true caller ID, most providers say they have caller id but it only works if ya have the contact added... metro's works just like any regular home phone caller id and displays it all without even having to do anything.

EyeB 11-24-2011 03:13 AM

Since I've been looking at gsm phones lately

I've kind of concluded it might be better to buy oversea (non-US in this case) gsm phones. The technology is the same for 3g/4g if you research the phone. Benefit is also you get an "unlocked" phone to start with. Plus asia/europe are where phones are being offered first, US just isn't the big draw for cell phones anymore and they come to US after the other countries now.

I had a site where you could buy phones from there (legit) but I lost it, lol I found it on xda so I'll look for it again and post back if I find it

n1nj4Lo 11-25-2011 01:35 AM

My only other question is with AT&T is the IMEI recognized as a smartphone requiring you to pay for extra data or not? I read somewhere that smartphones aren't eligible for the 50 a month unlimited everything prepaid plan...

pizzaboy192 11-25-2011 08:27 PM

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (Windows Mobile; WCE; Opera Mobi/WMD-50430; U; en) Presto/2.4.13 Version/10.00)

Quote:

Originally Posted by n1nj4Lo
My only other question is with AT&T is the IMEI recognized as a smartphone requiring you to pay for extra data or not? I read somewhere that smartphones aren't eligible for the 50 a month unlimited everything prepaid plan...

I don't know what AT&T does, but T-Mobile hasn't complained about the Fathom yet. if you absolutely need to, you can spoof the imei while flashing.

n1nj4Lo 11-25-2011 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pizzaboy192 (Post 2157273)
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (Windows Mobile; WCE; Opera Mobi/WMD-50430; U; en) Presto/2.4.13 Version/10.00)

I don't know what AT&T does, but T-Mobile hasn't complained about the Fathom yet. if you absolutely need to, you can spoof the imei while flashing.

Thats good to know about T-Mobile. Are their speeds faster than AT&T? I was wondering about that and if there any problems like the one AT&T speed problem one guy listed in this forum about not connecting to 3g... Also what would be the effect if I paid for 4g speeds but only had 3g device? Faster speeds or nothing at all and still just 3g speeds?

pizzaboy192 11-25-2011 10:02 PM

i'll look into it, but the phone on T-Mobile has a datablock on the SIM so i haven't tried data.
from what i have read, the fathom should be able to connect at full 3g utms for t-mobile due to same bands. AT&T uses a different 3g band than t-mobile in the US to keep people from carrier swapping.
and no, 4G won't help with a phone that can't handle 4G.

n1nj4Lo 11-25-2011 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pizzaboy192 (Post 2157279)

i'll look into it, but the phone on T-Mobile has a datablock on the SIM so i haven't tried data.
from what i have read, the fathom should be able to connect at full 3g utms for t-mobile due to same bands. AT&T uses a different 3g band than t-mobile in the US to keep people from carrier swapping.
and no, 4G won't help with a phone that can't handle 4G.

Okay cool, thats what I thought about the 4g on a 3g device, be nice if it could happen...

So do you have T-Mobile?

pizzaboy192 11-25-2011 10:17 PM

I am on a Verizon unlimited plan, ($30 a month)but my gf went to the fathom after her q9h died... and before that she had a moto krazr and before that she had the samsung gravity 2. the fathom is the only one that stands up to her so far.

n1nj4Lo 11-26-2011 11:59 AM

I assume the moment I had internet working on t-mobile (Just a matter of adding a new connection and what not), I could install your ArcSoft Be Gone T-Mobile edition and have working mms? Or no?

pizzaboy192 11-26-2011 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by n1nj4Lo
I assume the moment I had internet working on t-mobile (Just a matter of adding a new connection and what not), I could install your ArcSoft Be Gone T-Mobile edition and have working mms? Or no?

even easier than that. drop in your sim and then head to my site. i've got the connection packs and the remover in the same place.
should work fine.

mihaitza2007 12-30-2011 01:43 PM

I live in Romania and my Fathom work just fine with DIGI mobile with free 3g internet (in addition to my highspeed internet plan).
http://www.mobilespeedtest.com/results/1121082367.jpg

spocky 01-05-2012 02:10 PM

Hi guys,

I've been contacted recently by a someone who would like to buy a bunch of fathoms from verizon. Unfortunately, verizon do not have unlock codes for them. Do you know any mean to unlock those phones (a free app would be the best, but I assume a cheap method that allows to get multiple codes would do the trick) ?

Thanks in advance

pizzaboy192 01-05-2012 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spocky (Post 2163143)
Hi guys,

I've been contacted recently by a someone who would like to buy a bunch of fathoms from verizon. Unfortunately, verizon do not have unlock codes for them. Do you know any mean to unlock those phones (a free app would be the best, but I assume a cheap method that allows to get multiple codes would do the trick) ?

Thanks in advance

You can always just call verizon's international support line and ask them to unlock the phone. I don't know how they'll respond to a batch request, but they're pretty nice about unlocking phones currently off contracts.
I would like an app that does the unlocking. It shouldn't be too difficult to do it, but I have no knowledge of how to figure it out.

westway50 01-14-2012 11:39 PM

Hey im hoping that someone can help me with this problem. so i just recently got it as a gift and got everything to work except sms. for some reason i can receive messages from others, but i cannot send them. my phone just replies with a warning. it gives me a warning with "unable to send your message(s). Your message(s) will remain in the outbox folder". i am currently with tmobile. would really appreciate it if someone can help me