PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2009, 05:45 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch
Carrier: Sprint

tx_66_econo is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Starting over. ** FIXED ** (Tethering and GPS) Thanks!!!

My Sprint Touch stopped charging. The Sprint store said it was bad hardware and replaced my phone. They copied my contacts but everything else is gone. I spent quite a bit of time a little over a year ago getting my phone setup like I liked/needed it to be. I had:

maps.google.com and GPS was working.
I was able to tether via USB using Internet Sharing (my data use is very low)

That's about it. I remember that this site was invaluable in setting these features up and I was about to dive in and re-learn what's needed to get back, but with a couple searches and a couple "you can't see that page" type messages I'm concerned that what's needed for this config is no longer available here. Have the tutorials for my setup been pulled? Or (more likely) have I forgotten the proper terminology to effectively search?

TIA
Jeff

Last edited by tx_66_econo; 09-30-2009 at 02:59 PM.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:53 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch
Carrier: Verizon

Snowden is becoming a great contributor
Re: Starting over.

I'm assuming that you plan to put a custom ROM on your phone since the one it comes with is rather outdated, so the following instructions are issued under that mindset. If you don't really care, you could theoretically just install Google Maps and have pretty much the same functionality as before.

Before you start modifying your phone, it would probably be a good idea to install PIM Backup and backup your contacts etc. to your PC since flashing a custom ROM for your phone will delete them. Since your GPS is already unlocked (being a Sprint customer) it sounds like all you'll need to do in terms of customization is install imcokeman's 2.31 unlocker, flash the custom ROM of your choosing (I personally like NFSFan's ROM), and optionally upgrade your radio. NFSFan's ROM comes with Google Maps preinstalled, so you should be good to go at that point.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:06 PM
Suuuper Geeenius
Pocket PC: hTc RhodiumW (Touch Pro2)

horndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to horndoctor
Wirelessly posted (HTC Vogue: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11) Sprint MP6900SP)

Everything you asked about is still in this Forum. If you look in the Touch FAQ Thread you will find the things you asked about. In the registry tweaks/hacks link in the touch faq thread you can find the tethering info.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:11 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

tx_66_econo is a n00b

Quote:
If you don't really care, you could theoretically just install Google Maps and have pretty much the same functionality as before.
I did download and install google maps but no satellites are found. I think I had to upgrade my ROM once (with my old Touch) to get GPS working, is it possible that the refurb had GPS off?

ROM Version: 3.03.651.4
ROM Date: 6/30/2008
Radio version: 3.42.30

I'll follow the rest of your instructions. Will the ROM get my tethering back? I vaguely remember having to make a registry edit after a WM (or ROM) upgrade.

Thanks!
Old 09-22-2009, 07:16 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

tx_66_econo is a n00b

Quote:
Everything you asked about is still in this Forum.
That's good news HornDoctor. I'll be sure to document what I do (so I remember, if I need to do this again)
Old 09-22-2009, 07:17 PM
Suuuper Geeenius

horndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the community
Wirelessly posted (HTC Vogue: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11) Sprint MP6900SP)

After you install google maps soft reset and then reopen google maps and wait a bit for it to get a lock. It takes a while the very first time google maps tries to get a lock. The gps shouldn't be locked if you have sprint. Verizon prolly will be but it can be unlocked. The tethering info is in the faq thread.
Old 09-23-2009, 06:49 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

tx_66_econo is a n00b

Quote:
In the registry tweaks/hacks link in the touch faq thread you can find the tethering info.
I opened that thread and searched for "tether". It found three posts that were related to the max data transfer amount allowed. Things like "..why would they allow you to transfer that much if you don't tether" or "..I don't tether so I..." Is there another term I should be searching for?

Quote:
After you install google maps soft reset and then reopen google maps and wait a bit for it to get a lock
I did that and still no luck. I waited (outside) for a lock and after a few minutes a notice popped up "Weak GPS signal, your GPS receive is having trouble tracking GPS satellites"
Also, when I key in ##debug#/Debug Info/GPS every row says "n/a" under 'Setting'

Is it possible, there is something wrong with my "new" refurbished phone?

Thanks so much for your help.
Old 09-24-2009, 01:47 AM
Suuuper Geeenius

I am so sorry dude! I told you to go to the wrong place for the tethering hack. My Bad! I searched and found it.Here it is :http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showpost.p...t=42You'll need to use a reg editor to make the changes. I recommend phm regeditor. Now I know that is in the PPC Software Forum in the Commonly Requested Apps Thread.I don't understand why your gps isn't working. You might try some other gps apps and see if they can get a lock.Good Luck To You!
Old 09-24-2009, 02:14 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC TouchPro2 CDMA
Carrier: Alltel (Verizon)

codybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx_66_econo View Post
I opened that thread and searched for "tether". It found three posts that were related to the max data transfer amount allowed. Things like "..why would they allow you to transfer that much if you don't tether" or "..I don't tether so I..." Is there another term I should be searching for?

I did that and still no luck. I waited (outside) for a lock and after a few minutes a notice popped up "Weak GPS signal, your GPS receive is having trouble tracking GPS satellites"
Also, when I key in ##debug#/Debug Info/GPS every row says "n/a" under 'Setting'

Is it possible, there is something wrong with my "new" refurbished phone?

Thanks so much for your help.
Are you sure that you turned on Location Settings?(GPS)
9 times out of ten that's what it is.
Even sometimes after I flash a rom I forget to do that and get stumped as to why I can't get a gps lock.

Start> Settings > Personal > Phone > click services tab,
highlight location setting, click get settings.
Switch to on, press ok in top right corner of screen to save.

Quote:
Originally Posted by horndoctor View Post
I am so sorry dude! I told you to go to the wrong place for the tethering hack. My Bad! I searched and found it.Here it is :http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showpost.php?p=720308&postcount=42You'll need to use a reg editor to make the changes. I recommend phm regeditor. Now I know that is in the PPC Software Forum in the Commonly Requested Apps Thread.I don't understand why your gps isn't working. You might try some other gps apps and see if they can get a lock.Good Luck To You!
Way to go horndocter, send him to the wrong place.
If the reg editor isn't in that thread, it should be at my faq also.
(link in signature.)

I've really got to update that thing sometime soon.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:28 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

tx_66_econo is a n00b

Quote:
Start> Settings > Personal > Phone > click services tab,
highlight location setting, click get settings.
Switch to on, press ok in top right corner of screen to save.
I checked this setting and I was "on". I still have no GPS. I checked to make sure I had the upgrade ROM with RevA and GPS and I do. (I had to do this upgrade on my original phone)

Any other ideas? Should I bring my phone back to Sprint?

Thanks for the help,
Jeff
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue