PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Vogue (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Verizon GPS not working anymore (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=61493)

jlh11364 03-17-2009 08:55 PM

Verizon GPS not working anymore

Has anyone had their GPS start to fail on Verizon in the last couple of days? I Have a xv6900 running the verizon 6.1 MR1 uprgrade (beta version). I have all of the suggested settings set properly and all of a sudden on Sunday, my GPS started not working. I did multiple soft resets, tried a backup, deleted some recent applications I added. None of the above worked. So I tried a hard reset and reloaded everything. Still nothing. My GPS Test program senses the GPS server, but no satellites. Google maps times out, Live search times out and Google Navigator just keeps trying. Did Verizon do something to their network? Is there a fix? Reading some threads on XDA, there are some others with the same problem. Is it time to do a complete fresh ROM and get rid of all of the Verizon lock downs?

leglace 03-17-2009 09:40 PM

Re: Verizon GPS not working anymore

Son of a #$%@!!! Mine stopped working too. Its been over a week since I last tried it. WTF!

If they did, I am dropping them today.

damaph 03-17-2009 09:56 PM

Thats funny... becuase I have the same problem. I also tried hard reseting and re-installing everything, nothing works.

leglace 03-17-2009 10:12 PM

Yeah, it looks like Verizon disabled it. Have all you guys had the customizations run, but had Valhalla installed to allow the GPS to lock?

I am shopping Alltel right now looking for a deal. Its sad because my wife and I had Verizon for 5 years.

sdlucky7 03-18-2009 10:08 AM

Lame... I actually came on here to start a thread on this exact topic. It has been driving me nuts for the last couple of days.

I'm happy (I guess) that I'm not the only one having this problem.

I wonder what is going on?

FYI leglace... Alltel is part of Verizon now...

thenikonian 03-18-2009 10:36 AM

Mine is dead too... I guess I'll go out and get an external bluetooth GPS receiver. AFAIK they can't turn that off. It's terrible that I'll have to carry around another piece of equipment... I guess the $200 + a month I spend with Verizon isn't enough. The greedy pigs want more of my money.

**** Begin Rant ****
ATTN Verizon! Your VZ Navigator software is GARBAGE! Why would I pay $10 a month for your LIMITED software when I can get a Tomtom One GPS device for $80 brand new and there is no monthly subscription?

Geocaching, geotagging images and route logging can NOT be done with VZ Navigator.

**** End Rant ****

sdlucky7 03-18-2009 10:45 AM

I wonder... Do those using VZ Navigator have this problem? Supposedly it uses the same set-up as the Vahalla GPS server does.

leglace 03-18-2009 11:09 AM

VZ Navigator is not even available for the XV6900. Thats the worst part.

jacob623 03-18-2009 11:14 AM

Same thing here. Verizon xv6900, MR1, Valhalla's GPS Server. GPS was working on Sunday. On Monday it stopped working. I didn't do any updated programming or anything (*228). Does Verizon just push down software to user devices? I've reflashed back to MR1, re-installed everything, etc. I'm still not finding any satallites.

I'm interested, also, if VZ Nav is having problems. Anyone w/ VZ Navigator having problems? I live in central FL and thought perhaps the NASA shuttle launch (Sunday pm) may have something to do w/ it, but a friend on AT&T is able to get locks on his i-phone, no problem.

W7GMC 03-18-2009 01:58 PM

I too, have the same issue now. This is BS. GPS was working fine and now....NOTHING!
I'm gonna miss the GPS, damn thing was working excellent!

sdlucky7 03-18-2009 02:35 PM

Ok... So does anyone have GPS working at this point?

If so, what unlock did you perform (QPST, etc)?

entwined82 03-18-2009 02:55 PM

My 6800 with MR2 is doing the same exact thing with GPS via googlemaps. I refuse to pay for VZNavigator. I already pay $82 a month, I'll just as soon cancel and switch to Sprint Everything Plus and get everything a windows mobile phone should have. Even wireless sync e-mail. I'm so sick of having to use imap.

Way to stick it to your customers yet again Verizon.

harley! 03-18-2009 03:08 PM

My wife's LG Dare has VZ Nav, and its working fine . . .

jlh11364 03-18-2009 03:10 PM

Is this something that can be solved with a fresh ROM? I have been hesitant to do the whole shebang. However, If I can get the GPS again, I will do it.

jacob623 03-18-2009 03:15 PM

Is this recent change limited to just the xv6900, i wonder? are xv6800 users experiencing the same thing?

entwined82 03-18-2009 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlh11364 (Post 780817)
Is this something that can be solved with a fresh ROM? I have been hesitant to do the whole shebang. However, If I can get the GPS again, I will do it.

I had functioning GPS till Sunday or Monday. This is really new. I doubt anyone knows what to do to restore it yet. I wouldn't go hard-resetting or flashing a new rom or cooking a new one or anything drastic just yet. May just have to wait a few days and see what the geniuses at XDA bust out.

entwined82 03-18-2009 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacob623 (Post 780830)
Is this recent change limited to just the xv6900, i wonder? are xv6800 users experiencing the same thing?

2nd post this page..yes we are :(

jacob623 03-18-2009 03:50 PM

please post phone model rom version and gps implimentaion method so we can see if this is restricted to certain criteria.

xv6900, MR1, valhallas gps server here.

entwined82 03-18-2009 03:55 PM

xv6800, official ROM 3.57.605.2 (MR2)/Radio 3.37.78, valhallas gps

sdlucky7 03-18-2009 03:56 PM

Re:^^

xv6900, MR1, Valhalla GPS Server

harley! 03-18-2009 04:11 PM

Vogue - NFSFAN VZW 1.13 - 3.37.78 - aGPS fix at XDA

JustinAppi 03-18-2009 04:32 PM

Mine stopped working also. Hasn't worked since this morning. It's now 4:31pm and still not working.

I wonder if Verizon is doing something relative to getting the GPS working for the Omnia, TouchPro, etc. Wishful thinking that they're gonna unlock the GPS on all their windows mobile phones.

Thanks God I have a separate GPS receiver as backup.

depeched 03-18-2009 04:54 PM

Vogue - NFSFAN VZW 1.2 - 3.37.78 - aGPS fix at XDA

Mine's been extremely sporadic as of last 10 days or so and completely died this Monday.

NYC Guy 03-18-2009 05:02 PM

Mine worked on Sunday and also stopped on Monday. ](*,)

joshkeller77 03-18-2009 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacob623 (Post 780931)
please post phone model rom version and gps implimentaion method so we can see if this is restricted to certain criteria.

xv6900, MR1, valhallas gps server here.

XV6800 - 3.2.6 - 3.42.50 - 2.47 nueSPL - GC aGPS using QPST

Flawless for a while, had a couple down times around March 8th but was back up after then. Has been slower since then but working.

jacob623 03-18-2009 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joshkeller77 (Post 781142)
XV6800 - 3.2.6 - 3.42.50 - 2.47 nueSPL - GC aGPS using QPST

Flawless for a while, had a couple down times around March 8th but was back up after then. Has been slower since then but working.

So GPS is still working on your xv6800?

joshkeller77 03-18-2009 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacob623 (Post 781167)
So GPS is still working on your xv6800?

Nope, I got a lock earlier today on my lunch break using GPS only (no aGPS) but it took thirty minutes and two soft resets, HTC GPS tool clear memory, and starting TomTom after 10 sats were red. Kinda crazy. Will try on my drive home and see but I am not thinking it will be working.

Here is a scenario as a question: if aGPS was down, wouldn't all phones have a problem using VZNavigator including those that do not have GPS chip? This would also affect Chaperone finder service too right?

Does anyone have a VZNav phone that they can check to see if it is working?

harley! 03-18-2009 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joshkeller77 (Post 781179)
Does anyone have a VZNav phone that they can check to see if it is working?

My wife's Dare has VZ Nav and its working . . .

jacob623 03-18-2009 06:05 PM

There is also a thread on this subject on xda, here.

joshkeller77 03-18-2009 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harley! (Post 781232)
My wife's Dare has VZ Nav and its working . . .

Would be nice to see what QPST says for GPSone tab on someones phone where VZnav is working just out of curiosity.

joshkeller77 03-18-2009 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacob623 (Post 781276)
There is also a thread on this subject on xda, here.

I am Serfboreds from XDA, LOL. I am also looking around on PDA Phone Home for some answers but nothing so far.

jacob623 03-18-2009 06:47 PM

I downloaded the sat coord's and now I'm trying the HTC GPS Tool. 5 minutes and still no lock. I'll give it a few more minutes and then head outside and try.

jacob623 03-18-2009 07:34 PM

I never was able to get a lock. I was using "Clear Memory". I'll try again using Cold Start. Joshkeller77, you're able to get a lock w/ the HTC GPS Tool?

harley! 03-18-2009 08:08 PM

GPS on Google Maps is working on a friends VZW Blackberry.

jadesse 03-18-2009 08:56 PM

Mine still works flawlessly using TomTom with zero hack or fixes. It locks usually within a minutes & even indoors.

ROM - NFSFAN's 1.13 VZW
Radio - 3.37.78

valhallas gps server never did anything for me.

denasqu 03-18-2009 10:42 PM

Mine quit on Monday morning after using Google Maps all afternoon on Sunday. I did a bunch of soft-resets and checked all my settings. It would see plenty of sats outdoors but never lock on ... nothing indoors.

I finally removed the battery for about 30 seconds, replaced it and booted up. Locked in about a minutes sitting in my living room. I've used it every day since. It's slow, like the old days before the XDA Tutorial, and it doesn't usually work indoors, but it's working.

I suspect it's something to do with the 'a' in aGPS. My data connection started getting flaky a week or two ago and is slower when I test it. I lose the EV frequently now and my data connections drop into 1X regularly. This morning it took longer for Google Maps to load my local map than it took to lock the GPS.

joshkeller77 03-19-2009 01:53 AM

I wish I could say with 100% confidence that this is due to Verizon's acquisition of Alltel and using their towers instead of renting the use of Sprint's towers where the Verizon towers were weak. I noticed when they took over Alltel is when my phone also went into 1x and started having problems with GPS locks. It really sux because the one reason I had VZW was their great coverage, but now it is getting ridiculous how often their signals are dropping. I am tempted to jump ship.

joshkeller77 03-19-2009 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jadesse (Post 781637)
Mine still works flawlessly using TomTom with zero hack or fixes. It locks usually within a minutes & even indoors.

ROM - NFSFAN's 1.13 VZW
Radio - 3.37.78

valhallas gps server never did anything for me.

If you don't already know, Valhalla only is necessary if you have stock MR1 or MR2, NFSFAN's rom has unlocked GPS built in so it works immediately without hacks. Custom Roms (DCD, 6.5 betas, etc) use QPST and aGPS cab to unlock. A minute is still slower than the immediate (5-10 sec) locks that were common a month ago. Things have definitely changed for most of us that were spoiled with turning on GPS in a concrete room in the basement and having it work immediately.

joshkeller77 03-19-2009 02:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacob623 (Post 781493)
I never was able to get a lock. I was using "Clear Memory". I'll try again using Cold Start. Joshkeller77, you're able to get a lock w/ the HTC GPS Tool?

Yup, on my drive home from work I got a lock, and tonight I got a lock but I was driving both times.

Here are the steps you should try, but some of it may be unnecessary or useless, but it rules out everything.

I ran aGPS cab by GC cause I was playing with SUPL AGPS settings in reg. First run quickGPS then call *22899, and let it reset. Then I ran HTC GPS tool with Hot start and got a lock in a few minutes the first time. Second time it didn't lock so I soft reset and got a lock in about thirty seconds. Still not what it used to be but 30 seconds is totally acceptable.

escribzz 03-19-2009 03:28 AM

Before I read any of this I went through and hard reset and started from zero and I have the same issue.