PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2008, 10:31 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Htc Touch
Carrier: Bell

rk25 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Using bell GPS in the US

If i use the gps in the US will they charge me for roming fees or somthing for using their towers
Old 08-08-2008, 11:04 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch

albertan is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via MSN to albertan
Re: Using bell GPS in the US

Turn your data off in the USA or be prepared for a VERY large bill. Unlike other providers, Bell does not offer a decent package for USA roaming... at least the guy I spoke to at Bell had nothing to offer. They are a for-profit company currently undergoing a management change in Canada.... and like most Canadian carriers.... they are best at picking our pockets. I can't wait for the new carrier to come to Canada now that Canada is offering more bandwidth for sale. My guess is that Google will be filling that void with their new ad supported free cell phone service.

I go between Canada and the USA constantly because my wife actually lives in the USA and I live in Canada. When I hit the border... my Bell cell gets tossed in the glove box in off mode and I use my Cricket service in the USA. Cricket coverage sucks bad but it at least covers Salt Lake City where I spend all my time when down below the 49th parallel.
Old 08-12-2008, 04:16 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Vogue

Wikky is a n00b

NO CHARGES.

I used a GPS enabled rom (alltel I think it was) with NFSFAN's ROM on top. Then with GPS Viewer as the primer, I used TomTomNav7.5 and iGO 8 without issue or CHARGE to my account. Just don't use Google Maps, or GPS software that sucks any info off the internet.

I just checked my bill, and there is nothing on it.

Last edited by Wikky; 08-12-2008 at 04:18 PM.
Old 08-12-2008, 04:18 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Vogue

Wikky is a n00b

Just check your "Data Connection" every now and then, and make sure it's set to "OFF"
Old 08-12-2008, 04:20 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: TouchPro2
Carrier: at&t/sprint

remydakid is keeping up the good workremydakid is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to remydakid

call yer SP asap!
Old 08-14-2008, 10:25 AM
N00b

SiRPower is a n00b

I need help on this as well. I'm planning on going to the States next week and want to use my gps. When I launch TT7 (with Astrogpslauncher), I noticed that the internet/data connection becomes active. I have to close (not exit) TT7, disable the internet/data connection and open it again. This seems to work fine. When I try this again when disabling the phone connection (i.e., cellular radio) or when on airplane mode, TT7 cannot search for satellites. My question is, if the gps needs a phone connection to make it work, does this count as roaming? Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:46 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Vogue

Videonut is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiRPower View Post
I need help on this as well. I'm planning on going to the States next week and want to use my gps. When I launch TT7 (with Astrogpslauncher), I noticed that the internet/data connection becomes active. I have to close (not exit) TT7, disable the internet/data connection and open it again. This seems to work fine. When I try this again when disabling the phone connection (i.e., cellular radio) or when on airplane mode, TT7 cannot search for satellites. My question is, if the gps needs a phone connection to make it work, does this count as roaming? Thanks in advance for your help.
Using the New rom that doesn't need priming, I started TomTom7 and checked the data connection. Data didn't start on it's own, although if you check weather it does start the data connection. Have you joined any of the groups in TomTom, like Map Corrections?
If not, perhaps it's Astrogpslauncher although I doubt the author would code in forcing data connections.
Old 08-14-2008, 11:01 AM
N00b

SiRPower is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Videonut View Post
Using the New rom that doesn't need priming, I started TomTom7 and checked the data connection. Data didn't start on it's own, although if you check weather it does start the data connection. Have you joined any of the groups in TomTom, like Map Corrections?
If not, perhaps it's Astrogpslauncher although I doubt the author would code in forcing data connections.
I have the new bell rom as well. Tried launching TT7 without priming and would not search for any satellites. Installed Astrogps and it worked fine. But my question is, does the phone connection charge as roaming?
Old 08-14-2008, 11:22 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Vogue

Videonut is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiRPower View Post
I have the new bell rom as well. Tried launching TT7 without priming and would not search for any satellites. Installed Astrogps and it worked fine. But my question is, does the phone connection charge as roaming?
I'd say if you're Data is connecting, if any data passes to a tower you'll be charged when in the states.

You shouldn't need a primer for TomTom7 unless you flashed a custom rom on top of the new bell rom, which seems to break the priming function of the new rom. It takes maybe 10secs to see the GPS then another 10secs or so to lock. Check your GPS receiver settings in TomTom. I use Other external GPS receiver and set to comm4. Internal works too.
Old 08-14-2008, 04:42 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Htc Touch
Threadstarter

rk25 is a n00b

Thanks for the response. I will just turn off the data and hope for the best!
I will update when i get Aug bill
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue