PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2008, 06:10 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint SERO

sanvara is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Will some AC and car chargers damage the Vogue due to variences in volts and amps?

I have purchased a couple car and ac chargers and have noticed differences in volt/amp output.

The oem AC charger is 5 volt 1 amp. I also have an AC charger for my Motorola Q with the same mini plug that is 9v 0.8 amp. I haven't used this for fear of possible damage to the Vogue due to volt/amp differences.

An HTC brand car charger I bought for the Vogue is 5 volt 2 amp which is different than the OEM AC charger 5 volt 1 amp. Does this matter?

I ordered a car charger off ebay and it has the mini plug and it has no amps and voltages listed and it simply has a model number of HT 2125. Is this one safe for the Vogue?

How do I know which chargers are safe and which are not? Or am I being overly paranoid?

Last edited by sanvara; 07-14-2008 at 06:14 PM.
Old 07-14-2008, 07:22 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 3D
Carrier: SprintPCS

the_goldentiger is keeping up the good workthe_goldentiger is keeping up the good work
Send a message via MSN to the_goldentiger
Re: Will some AC and car chargers damage the Vogue due to variences in volts and amps

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanvara View Post
I have purchased a couple car and ac chargers and have noticed differences in volt/amp output.

The oem AC charger is 5 volt 1 amp. I also have an AC charger for my Motorola Q with the same mini plug that is 9v 0.8 amp. I haven't used this for fear of possible damage to the Vogue due to volt/amp differences.

An HTC brand car charger I bought for the Vogue is 5 volt 2 amp which is different than the OEM AC charger 5 volt 1 amp. Does this matter?

I ordered a car charger off ebay and it has the mini plug and it has no amps and voltages listed and it simply has a model number of HT 2125. Is this one safe for the Vogue?

How do I know which chargers are safe and which are not? Or am I being overly paranoid?
You are not "paranoid" just pull the battery out and check the label
if it says 5V DC=1A then use that one DO NOT USE a diferent one, you don`t want to fry the phone
Old 07-14-2008, 07:31 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Re: Will some AC and car chargers damage the Vogue due to variences in volts and amps

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_goldentiger View Post
You are not "paranoid" just pull the battery out and check the label
if it says 5V DC=1A then use that one DO NOT USE a diferent one, you don`t want to fry the phone
I think there is more to it than this though. The battery says 5 volt 1 amp but the HTC car charger being sold as the oem HTC charger for the Touch is 5 volt 2 amp.

This oem HTC charger is 5v 2a: http://www.wirelessground.com/ci85htcvepoc.html

So I'm trying to figure out what are the exact guidelines as to what I can use since even the oem products seem to be variable.

Last edited by sanvara; 07-14-2008 at 07:40 PM.
Old 07-14-2008, 07:47 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

the_goldentiger is keeping up the good workthe_goldentiger is keeping up the good work

5 V 2 amp will be no problem, but don`t use that is 9v 0.8 amp
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CaptureHTC.JPG (74.4 KB, 19 views) Click for barcode!
Old 07-14-2008, 07:55 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

by the way I`m going to say this again DON`T use that one you get on EBAY. because who knows what VOLTAGES is.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:04 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_goldentiger View Post
by the way I`m going to say this again DON`T use that one you get on EBAY. because who knows what VOLTAGES is.
I agree it's best to be cautious.The ebay charger arrived in retail AT&T packaging and is the At&t Vehicle Power Charger for HTC TILT 8925 / 8100 / 2125.

It was being sold as compatible as an HTC Touch charger and it arrived with no voltage or amp info on it. After some research it appears it might be compatible according to this website:

http://www.mobilecityonline.com/wire...mpaign=froogle

But I am wary with no amp/voltage info on the actual charger.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:15 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Vogue
Carrier: Sprint PCS

DeadlyAP1 is a n00b

throw that Ebay one away ASAP.

I had one for my Apache and it melted in my car. It almost caught fire.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:16 PM
WP Heavy Rot Sloth
Pocket PC: Mogul, Touch Pro 1&2, Evo, PhotonQ
Carrier: Sprint

shaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

standard electronics have a voltage tolerance of 10% but for battery charging exact voltz are recommended.
amps don't matter unless its to low. the phone will draw what it needs.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:07 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggylive View Post
standard electronics have a voltage tolerance of 10% but for battery charging exact voltz are recommended.
Thanks, this is what I needed to know.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:07 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch
Carrier: Sprint

MightyM0use is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to MightyM0use Send a message via MSN to MightyM0use

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggylive View Post

Just to expand on what you said if the amps are too low you may find that it will charge the phone while the power is off but when the phone is powered on it won't keep up and you will actually lose charge. Best to at least equal the amperage from the OEM charger(1amp in this case), if you go lower you won't damage your phone but it will either take forever to charge your phone or you will actually lose charge is the phone is running. Voltz do need to be the same though.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue