PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Vogue (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Htcclassaction.org Making Serious Progress!!!!!!!!!!! (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=27236)

DHarvey 05-21-2008 03:33 PM

Htcclassaction.org Making Serious Progress!!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT::
WHY DOES EVERYONE ALWAYS HAVE TO TURN EVERY SINGLE FREAKIN THREAD INTO AN ARGUMENT?

STOP FIGHTING AND KEEP THIS ON TOPIC!!! IF YOU HAVE NOTHING NICE TO SAY THEN GO B1TCH SOMEWHERE ELSE!!!

-Mods please forgive me but I really can't stand when this kind of thing happens and it happens all to frequently. I really don't know how you do it...

This has been quoted directly from www.htcclassaction.org. It seems very interesting and is raising my hopes a little.

Take a minute to read this...

Quote:

Update May 21, 2008: HTC's WM6.1 Update is here (?), ROM analysis and video driver news.

Several sites, including MoDaCo, report the HTC TyTN II Windows Mobile 6.1 and Performance Update is here. They link to a leaked version, but the rumor is this will be released official in the next few days. Before continuing reading, you really should read Paul (MVP)'s post, found at the previous link. Indeed, this ROM is somewhat faster, but does not contain full drivers. But don't stop reading now, there's a lot of very interesting stuff still following!

Meanwhile, what seems to be an Dutch version of the same ROM was already leaked on XDA Developers. We cannot confirm 100% that this is the Dutch (NLD) version of the WWE ROM MoDaCo mentioned above, but we're mentioning it anyway, because there is some other very interesting information about this ROM following (which we have not verified yet is also true for the WWE ROM). First, let's see the 'names' of these ROMs:

WWE (MoDaCo): RUU_Kaiser_HTC_WWE_3.28.405.0_radio_sign_25.83.40. 02_1.65.16.25_Ship NLD (XDA): HTC_NLD_3.29.404.0_radio_sign_25.83.40.02_1.65.16. 25_Ship

Similar, aren't they! Let's get down to the juicy stuff! The NLD ROM has an impressive graphics speed improvement on paper, which seems to be mainly due to improved BitBlt performance (BitBlt is used for copying graphics data between places in memory, very important for drawing operations - but many other processing intensive calls are used as well).

Before we continue on that point, there's something else you should know. There is also a leaked Diamond ROM. We have pulled this ROM apart and guess what: it has graphics drivers! They follow the same structure as the KS20 drivers too, with the "ahi2dati" driver at the core of the hardware accelerated graphics, talking to the hardware. It seems to be a bit more compatible with the current Kaiser ROMs, but note we have not compared the internal calls (yet!) to the new leaked NLD and WWE ROMs. Also note that because of this construct, it does not seem to be possible do drop in the libgles_cm hardware 3D driver.

Now it gets really interesting... One of the hackers working on the KS20 drivers has looked at the NLD ROM, and while the NLD ROM does not include the ahi2dati driver, it seems the ddi driver (ddi driver takes care of normal 'windows' drawing operations) on the NLD ROM includes code originally from the ahi2dati driver. Though it is still too soon to be sure, we suspect the NLD ROM uses hardware for BitBlt operations... and only for BitBlt operations.

If this is true, it would definitely open doors to bringing full hardware acceleration to the TyTN II, and possibly other MSM7x00 based devices. We have a TyTN II ROM that somehow touches the accelerated video hardware (NLD, probably WWE), we have fully accelerated drivers from HTC (Diamond), and we already have some prior experience due to the KS20 drivers. Throw them all together and it suddenly becomes a lot more likely the community will be able to bring full graphics drivers to the affected devices. Interesting times! Stay tuned, the effort has already begun!

shaun0207 05-21-2008 03:48 PM

Re: Htcclassaction.org Making Serious Progress!!!!!!!!!!!

Does seem very interesting. Glad some headway is being made. Said this is they up and introduced this new device on us that everybody gonna be trading in their current devices for .

DHarvey 05-21-2008 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaun0207 (Post 290983)
Does seem very interesting. Glad some headway is being made. Said this is they up and introduced this new device on us that everybody gonna be trading in their current devices for .

Not me... If they release the new device, then someone will take the new features from the new device and port it to the older devices so as far as I'm concerned, I'm sticking to the Touch and maybe after I effectively kill this one I will get the diamond. My only real PROBLEM with the Diamond is that it only comes with a 900mhz processor.

shaun0207 05-21-2008 03:57 PM

I love getting new toys. I wont get the Diamond, but I will get the Rapheal (whatever its called) when its released.

storino03 05-21-2008 04:00 PM

Diamond has a 525MHz processor, by Qualcomm.

--James

Soul_Est 05-21-2008 04:01 PM

This is interesting! Can't wait to see how this turns out. I'll see if I can get datasheets on the different chipsets the phones are using and see if they're similar enough. I believe it'll help a lot with the porting efforts as the hackers won't be hacking blind.

mswlogo 05-21-2008 04:05 PM

This is all so stupid it isn't even funny.

All this will do, is in the future make it more difficult to get updates, poke around, more paper work to sign that they are not liable.

Bye Bye Leaked ROM's.

HTC can do what ever they want. Did they promise new Video drivers when you bought it.

robj19 05-21-2008 04:05 PM

I'm patiently waiting to have the diamonds interface on my 6800.

Nobi125 05-21-2008 07:58 PM

This is awesome. Hope something comes out of it.

robertzas 05-21-2008 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mswlogo (Post 291017)
This is all so stupid it isn't even funny.

All this will do, is in the future make it more difficult to get updates, poke around, more paper work to sign that they are not liable.

Bye Bye Leaked ROM's.

HTC can do what ever they want. Did they promise new Video drivers when you bought it.

i dont think you actually have any idea what your talking about. Leaked roms might actually be introduced ON PURPOSE! just like leaked info on phones to drive buzz in the market that will pay the premiums. Why not introduce these roms to people who understand that it isnt a full release and expect no support or stability. they can monitor the forums, and enjoy free widespread beta testing. you have no idea what "this" will actually do.

All that notwithstanding this statement is also, not just inaccurate, but plain wrong:

Quote:

Originally Posted by mswlogo (Post 291017)

HTC told their customers they were getting the msm7500 chipset. the msm7500 chipset has the ati graphics card integrated, its not optional like the wifi module. Hey how are you to assume because the chipset has the hardware built in, and the device was advertised with "3d graphics" that an INTEGRAL part of the chipset would be PURPOSEFULLY DISABLED. And lets be frank here, it is DISABLED, why would a company(qualcomm, in this case) release a chipset without the drivers.

plainly it was because they wanted to release a future device on the cheap with the only change being the drivers a la the touch cruise.

So if you baught a v8 car, and found out 2 months later that it actually has, and only will run on 4 cylinders would you just bend over and say "hey, just cause they advertised 8 cylinders doesnt mean that combustion actually has to happen in all 8" That is exactly what happened to EVERYONE, not just the people who know.

heres a demo ive seen a few times: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIJWAu6IRe4

dbldwn02 05-21-2008 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robertzas (Post 291311)

So if you baught a v8 car, and found out 2 months later that it actually has, and only will run on 4 cylinders would you just bend over and say "hey, just cause they advertised 8 cylinders doesnt mean that combustion actually has to happen in all 8" That is exactly what happened to EVERYONE, not just the people who know.

HEAR HEAR!!!! Good Arguement! :violent2:

SprintTouch08 05-21-2008 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robertzas (Post 291311)
HTC told their customers they were getting the msm7500 chipset. the msm7500 chipset has the ati graphics card integrated, its not optional like the wifi module. Hey how are you to assume because the chipset has the hardware built in, and the device was advertised with "3d graphics" that an INTEGRAL part of the chipset would be PURPOSEFULLY DISABLED. And lets be frank here, it is DISABLED, why would a company(qualcomm, in this case) release a chipset without the drivers.

plainly it was because they wanted to release a future device on the cheap with the only change being the drivers a la the touch cruise.

heres a demo ive seen a few times: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIJWAu6IRe4

that is incorrect. Just because hardware is there or integrated does not mean it is required to be activated. NOWHERE did htc or Sprint/VZW ever say 3d graphics. It was never specifically advertised. Looking at a spec sheet of maximum CAPABILITIES does not equate to them being there just like a lot of the other potential features of the chip.

By law this is not false advertising because there was never a direct promise of 3d graphics or ATI anything by the company/carrier who sold you the device. as ive posted elsewhere i challenge the arguement to produce the said misleading advertisement, so far no one has been able to Thus those analogies are illogical and moot in the first place. This is exactly why the htcclassaction site cant get an attorney to take their case and the one they had skipped town on them. That should be a very big indicator that people are missing. No competent attorney would risk their career on a weak case at best.

Does it suck they arent there? Sure. Is it wrong? Yes. Is it illegal? No. There's nothing you or anyone can do about it honestly. Thats the reality here not the puppy dog tails and rainbows everyone wants it to be. the reality is they played it cleverly so they didnt have to pay extra per device to Qualcomm without violating the consumer's rights. In the end here, either wait and see if they do release them or move on to a different device (even though half of the complainers here will be back for the next HTC round of devices anyways/ aka all talk and empty threats)

robertzas 05-21-2008 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SprintTouch08 (Post 291396)
that is incorrect. Just because hardware is there or integrated does not mean it is required to be activated. NOWHERE did htc or Sprint/VZW ever say 3d graphics. It was never specifically advertised. Looking at a spec sheet of maximum CAPABILITIES does not equate to them being there just like a lot of the other potential features of the chip.

By law this is not false advertising because there was never a direct promise of 3d graphics or ATI anything by the company/carrier who sold you the device. as ive posted elsewhere i challenge the arguement to produce the said misleading advertisement, so far no one has been able to Thus those analogies are illogical and moot in the first place. This is exactly why the htcclassaction site cant get an attorney to take their case and the one they had skipped town on them. That should be a very big indicator that people are missing. No competent attorney would risk their career on a weak case at best.

Does it suck they arent there? Sure. Is it wrong? Yes. Is it illegal? No. There's nothing you or anyone can do about it honestly. Thats the reality here not the puppy dog tails and rainbows everyone wants it to be. the reality is they played it cleverly so they didnt have to pay extra per device to Qualcomm without violating the consumer's rights. In the end here, either wait and see if they do release them or move on to a different device (even though half of the complainers here will be back for the next HTC round of devices anyways/ aka all talk and empty threats)

I certainly understand your argument, inevitably, the fault of all bad business ethics is an uneducated consumer. Since the benchmark has all but gone away, no one knew weeks before the release of every device htc has released in the past 2 years has been a downgrade in terms of video performance.

SprintTouch08 05-21-2008 10:18 PM

yes and going back to a car analogy, this is like saying an 07 car had 350hp and a 0-60 of 4.5sec, but the 08 had 400 and did 4.7 sec. Why? well they didnt advertise the new model weighed an extra 500 pounds slowing it down. All that was clearly seen and highly promoted was the all new more horsepower jump. This is the biggest flaw in htcclassactions argument is that never was 3d specifically mentioned. A "rich media experience" and such phrases are all in the interpretation and is a poor assumption to imply 3d. i personally have no media problem on my touch with music or videos, while not as ideal as they probably could be, they arent lacking or not "rich." Comparing to older models means nothing because it is newer chips/technology but that doesnt always mean huge improved performance, thats another poor assumption. There are plenty of single core desktop CPU's that out perform dual cores. same situation here, chip architecture is everything.

Not everything is advertised for a reason. There is a reason the new HTC Diamond is very very clearly advertised as 3d graphics and this round of HTC devices was not- because it simply wasnt there from the start, albeit who didnt pay who for it, it simply was never activated.

There is no justification to complain after the fact that some aspect wasnt activated, nor explicitly promised, because from our consumer point of view feel its should be. It prob was a ton of money that HTC/carriers decided not to pay, as easy as that so it was never ever advertised to be so.

h311boy 05-21-2008 11:07 PM

Maybe I'm blind as a bat, but there is no word about porting, or using these drivers in any practical way. The discussion switched to the old "htc should have, but didnt". In this topic there is no concrete truth, there are only opinions (that have been discuses many times before)

SprintTouch08 05-21-2008 11:17 PM

exactly the topic started off about porting Diamond/Tytn II drivers to other phones and now is another driver debate. The only real truth IS that nothing was ever specifically promised, just a bunch of people saying what could have/should have been instead of what really is. If they get ported over by people on xda/htcclassaction then great. if not oh well.

DHarvey 05-21-2008 11:44 PM

Can you people please stop fighting? This is what I expect from my kid sister and brother but not a bunch of grown men and women on a forum. This is a discussion. Looking back I should have had a Mod lock this thread from the beginning and all of the petty bull$hit could have been avoided...

Start getting back on topic or I will have a mod close and delete this thread...

Hafrust 05-22-2008 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dharvey4651 (Post 291590)
Can you people please stop fighting? This is what I expect from my kid sister and brother but not a bunch of grown men and women on a forum. This is a discussion. Looking back I should have had a Mod lock this thread from the beginning and all of the petty bull$hit could have been avoided...

Start getting back on topic or I will have a mod close and delete this thread...

Agreed.

vboyz103 05-22-2008 12:46 AM

So who's going to try to port this, any takers????

DHarvey 05-22-2008 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vboyz103 (Post 291672)
So who's going to try to port this, any takers????

Back on topic... :wav:

Very nice.

THAT is why I created this thread.

Any takers?

bkhoste 05-22-2008 12:48 AM

While we are getting people to stop fighting, can we get people to stop posting Red Font on a blue back ground? It is terrible on the eyes. Pretty Pleeeeeeaaaaaaassssssseeeee.

DHarvey 05-22-2008 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkhoste (Post 291677)
While we are getting people to stop fighting, can we get people to stop posting Red Font on a blue back ground? It is terrible on the eyes. Pretty Pleeeeeeaaaaaaassssssseeeee.

Better? :)

jim2561 05-22-2008 04:09 AM

wow now the quote in that first post really seemed exciting and awesome, however after reading pauls post over at modaco it makes me think there is nothing worth waiting for/to expect...?

[quote name='Paul (MVP)' date='May 21 2008, 01:17' post='894124']
[teaser]It's here!
Thanks to tweaks in 6.1 in general plus HTC's optimisations, the device DOES feel a lot slicker in use, although if you are coming from a 'cooked' ROM you have probably seen the speed improvement already. If you are still on the standard 6.0 ROM, you NEED to install this http://www.modaco.com/style_emoticon...lt/biggrin.gif...
[/quote]

but if this is something significant as i was believing as a result of the first post....INCREDIBLE!! (and about time the htc buggers)

has anyone sent out a round of pm's to some known wizards of porting?

bedoig 05-22-2008 05:26 PM

No2Chem just said he has direct draw working in his ROM thread. USB Mass Storage too. Good times ahead!

Hafrust 05-22-2008 05:37 PM

Sweet!

bedoig 05-22-2008 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tripdub1 (Post 292451)
Sweet!

What happened to the 10 character minimum? LOL, sorry, off topic :)

mswlogo 05-22-2008 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dharvey4651 (Post 290959)
WHY DOES EVERYONE ALWAYS HAVE TO TURN EVERY SINGLE FREAKIN THREAD INTO AN ARGUMENT?

STOP FIGHTING AND KEEP THIS ON TOPIC!!! IF YOU HAVE NOTHING NICE TO SAY THEN GO B1TCH SOMEWHERE ELSE!!!

-Mods please forgive me but I really can't stand when this kind of thing happens and it happens all to frequently. I really don't know how you do it...

This has been quoted directly from www.htcclassaction.org. It seems very interesting and is raising my hopes a little.

Why does everyone create such stupid thread titles. Such as ones with "Classaction" in the name.

If it's about porting drivers then title the thread as such.

I read the title as "there has been serious progress on a classaction lawsuit".

Exil3d 05-22-2008 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bedoig (Post 292433)
No2Chem just said he has direct draw working in his ROM thread. USB Mass Storage too. Good times ahead!

Wheres his thread? :headbang:

bedoig 05-22-2008 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exil3d (Post 292460)
Wheres his thread? :headbang:

Well, all he said was that he had DD working, but you can find it here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mswlogo (Post 292459)
Why does everyone create such stupid thread titles. Such as ones with "Classaction" in the name.

If it's about porting drivers then title the thread as such.

I read the title as "there has been serious progress on a classaction lawsuit".

Nice save........

naiserie 05-22-2008 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dharvey4651 (Post 290959)

better question is why you're cluttering the upgrade forum with this post? and why i'm making the problem worse by bumping the thread?

ah, rhetorical questions ;)

jim2561 05-23-2008 02:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bedoig (Post 292433)

alrighty now thats incredible...so who's gonna be the one to pm him begging for his magic help!?...

vboyz103 05-23-2008 03:13 AM

lol, attempted to PM him but he's denying PM right now. I guess we all have to wait....

jim2561 05-23-2008 03:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vboyz103 (Post 292845)
lol, attempted to PM him but he's denying PM right now. I guess we all have to wait....

dang...i have already been waiting WWWAAAAYYY too long!!! we all have! :(

h311boy 05-23-2008 03:41 PM

Big respect to No2Chem for getting on this matter so fast. TNX. I smell call of duty 2 and quake 3 on my phone =)

vboyz103 05-23-2008 05:03 PM

@No2,

If you are reading this thread, please enlighten us with your words of confirmation???

Darkflame808 05-23-2008 05:05 PM

I think the best way to get HTC to do what you want is to use your voice in interpersonal advertising.

When I got hired by my job they showed us a few videos. One was aimed at the employees discussing what they wanted out of us as part of our employment etc.

Another one was aimed at management discussing what the company wants out of them in regards to the employees. In the video they made a statement that said every employee is a valued employee. To lose an employee on bad terms has the potential ability to lose a company 50,000$ is sales if not more through the term sour mouthing.

These boards like PPCgeeks, and xda-developers etc give people an ability to provide true observations on a product.

Surely you'll have the rich boy can just buy whatever he wants and will easily be swayed by a radioshack guy promising features that will never make it to existence. A lot of us however, realize that the wealth of knowledge available to us through here and the various other boards will make us get a clear understanding of what we are really getting ourselves into.

If I could bring a positive suggestion to the board. I would suggest that the moderators make a little topic header thread that explains the device. It's current strengths, and weaknesses in like a wiki style and have it available in both the individual topic as well as a special sub forum (i.e HTC Vogue Technical Details And Specifications) or "Buyers guide" etc in which people can simply go to and see Ahhh...vogue sucks at video...Mogul is limited by ram etc.

Once the companies who make these products see the knee jerk reactions of some of it's customers, they will definitely reconsider their positions when dealing with releasing new products and services.

h311boy 05-23-2008 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkflame808 (Post 293488)
If I could bring a positive suggestion to the board. I would suggest that the moderators make a little topic header thread that explains the device. It's current strengths, and weaknesses in like a wiki style and have it available in both the individual topic as well as a special sub forum (i.e HTC Vogue Technical Details And Specifications) or "Buyers guide" etc in which people can simply go to and see Ahhh...vogue sucks at video...Mogul is limited by ram etc.

Yes, it is a very good idea, but u have to keep in mind that the op of such topic may gravitate to one side or another, and depending on what he/she is using on the phone may miss (or make up) some points.

Darkflame808 05-23-2008 09:31 PM

well in a wiki style style you have the option to retract statements that are proven to be poorly made or completely biased. there purpose is not to promote a product Let compare it to another one. its just to give you facts about the specific abilities and limitations.

jim2561 05-24-2008 05:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkflame808 (Post 293488)
I think the best way to get HTC to do what you want is to use your voice in interpersonal advertising.

When I got hired by my job they showed us a few videos. One was aimed at the employees discussing what they wanted out of us as part of our employment etc.

Another one was aimed at management discussing what the company wants out of them in regards to the employees. In the video they made a statement that said every employee is a valued employee. To lose an employee on bad terms has the potential ability to lose a company 50,000$ is sales if not more through the term sour mouthing.

These boards like PPCgeeks, and xda-developers etc give people an ability to provide true observations on a product.

Surely you'll have the rich boy can just buy whatever he wants and will easily be swayed by a radioshack guy promising features that will never make it to existence. A lot of us however, realize that the wealth of knowledge available to us through here and the various other boards will make us get a clear understanding of what we are really getting ourselves into.

Once the companies who make these products see the knee jerk reactions of some of it's customers, they will definitely reconsider their positions when dealing with releasing new products and services.

i really think this is a great idea. mods?

h311boy 05-26-2008 03:21 PM

Over a week and still no porting news. is it even possible? Hacking wizards, please take a look at it...