PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2007, 01:18 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch/Vogue
Carrier: Sprint SERO

gtnotoriouz is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
some extra questions

I am thinking about making the switch from a Mogul to a Touch. Had the Mogul a little over a month now.

Can you give me your opinion on the following:

+How is the speaker quality compared to the Mogul?

+Is the Microsoft Voice Speed Dial software included?

+How easy is it to use the Calendar/Tasks software? (I use that alot)
Old 11-14-2007, 01:18 PM
ѕнρ ѕоfтшаяє
Pocket PC: EVO4G
Carrier: sprinт
Threadstarter

Cicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIP
Speaker quality is about the same as the Mogul (with the Sprint customizations run on the Mogul), if not maybe a little better, and it's a little louder. I never had trouble with speakerphone on the Mogul though, since I ran the customizations.

Yes, Voice Speed Dial is included. You hold down the Camera button for a couple seconds to access it.

The Calendar/Tasks software is the same as any other WM6 phone.
Old 11-14-2007, 05:40 PM
The Enforcer
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4G, ViewSonic gTablet, BB Bold 9650
Carrier: Sprint

Pibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIP
Speed dial is included, but it is not Microsoft Voice Command, is the Cyberon software.

---
Don't forget to Search first!
Old 11-16-2007, 12:10 AM
boe
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Touch

boe is keeping up the good workboe is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I got retentions to trade my problematic mogul for the touch. This is my initial impressions – I come across them – not in any particular order as I just got the unit this afternoon.

Nice box the unit came in

Unit seems so much smaller than the Mogul – I love the size of the touch! Fantastic fit for my hands and I have very big hands! Even though the mogul was smaller than the 6700 it still seemed a little awkward but I’m sure some will prefer something different.

The black case on the phone itself makes it look more polished than the mogul. It has a rubbery feeling which is good for a grip.

Back case a little hard to get off but that hopefully means it will stay on tight for a full year – I had concerns about the mogul falling off.

Micro SD – a tad difficult to get to you have to remove the back cover and then pry off the side cover – the word PRY should never be necessary in any manual to discuss access to a component.

Screen seems nice and clean and bright.

Love the slider switch for volume control! All phones should have one in my opinion

Unfortunately it ran a Sprint customization – not sure what badness it installed yet – I haven’t read up on this unit much.

More Program memory - excellent

I’m not sure why but I seem to like the dtouch better – can’t explain it – just a personal thing – nothing wrong with the mogul one (unless you used sprint’s firmware which can lock the mogul’s up)

Some may like the new keyboard but I prefer a full qwerty keyboard so I switched it back to the old one although I might try another one as there are many you can download. One issue – it seems to revert back to the touch keyboard – I guess it doesn’t think I’m giving it enough of a chance Keyboard also sometimes is already open in certain apps – probably a firmware update required :P

Comes with the current version of Office Mobile 6.1

Speed seems pretty much on par with the mogul

Some people with be thrilled with the HTC touch flo as it is very cool but I really like having everything at my disposal that I use often from the main screen so I use SPB pocket plus – just a matter of preference I’m sure plenty of people will like the touch flo option just as much. Again I praise HTC for including something that will be used by so many people!

It is a tad short on hardware buttons – not the end of the world but two more customizable side buttons would have been appreciated.

No flash for the camera – I’d much rather trade the camera for the flash as I used my mogul as a flashlight at least once a week but I’m sure just as many if not more would rather trade the camera for the flash so I understand I’m in the minority. I knew it didn’t have a flash but I’ll miss it a lot.

If I were to care about the camera, I think they should have a little slider in front of the protective lens – one scratch and you’ll have lines on all your pictures.

On screen dial pad is the one I added to my mogul – nice big keys – wish there was a way to keep it always on when you are in phone mode so that you can easily press numbers for IVR routing systems – I know I can press keypad to bring it up once a call is started but an option to keep it always up would be nice.

Sprint TV is included although I’m getting an invalid VID – didn’t have this issue on the mogul (will have to investigate further)

Live Search is included but it is the old version so make sure to uninstall and then install the new version

The Comm Manager is the newer version that I had downloaded for my mogul

Requires FLASH install

Instant messaging installed OZ instant messaging which is an AOL Messenger add on – I removed right after I installed.

ActiveSync with Exchange 2007 initially gave the error 80072f7d. I’m using a public cert so I thought this was odd – I reset the device and synced – this time it worked perfectly.

Contacts have a nice letter selector on the side instead of the top.

ROM version 1.12.651.1
ROM date 9/18/07
Radio Version 2.13.00
PRL 60610

No WIFI – not a big deal for me – I certainly knew about this when I got the phone but some people may be concerned – frankly I’m probably happier without it as the mogul would come up even if the switch was off.

No IR Beam -no big deal as I never used it - just noticed it was missing though.

Stylus seems a tad short – might take a bit for me to get used to. It is only about 1 cm shorter than the mogul stylus but much lighter as well.

If you install Voice Command, confirmation via BT will not work – same as Mogul

Tested out Plantronics 655- sucked my caller said I sounded like crap, BUT tried out Plantronics 650 - works much better.
Old 11-16-2007, 12:25 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: htc
Carrier: sprint

dataman is just getting started
How is the #777 part of the phone?
Can you connect it to computer and use it as modem?
do you need to turn off the NAI Modem to avoid charges etc?
Old 11-17-2007, 11:49 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch

djsantos is a n00b
For my first PPC I think that is a great phone. Everyone is complaining about the keyboard and I had it figured out with in about 10 mins of using it. I send about 2000 text a month and have no problem with typing. Overall it is a great phone!
Old 11-17-2007, 06:05 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

decrink@yahoo.com is a n00b
I got my Touch last week after lots of wrangling with Sprint at the end of a 2-year contract. Got a great deal, lots of nice discounts and a great new phone. I've been on the PPC-6700 since the day it came out in Portland and have tweaked like crazy for 2 years, trying just about every ROM and program available.

Here's my review:
First off, let me say I really like this phone. I reserve the word "love" for humans but if I had to use it for technology I'd come close with this product. Its form factor, response and performance have all been excellent with just a few glitches. Here's the lowdown:

1. Form factor, weight, screen, d-pad are all 10's for me. I almost forget I have it in my pocket its so light
2. Daily usage has been great. I'm a pretty heavy business user and need to sync to a Groupwise account at work and Outlook at home for contacts and calendar. Everything just worked when I plugged it in. There were a couple of the usual Windows quirks but I was able to solve them thanks to two years experience with the 6700.
3. Tweakability! I see there are already customizations, cube enhancements, and more coming out. I've done about 5-6 reg edits to get things the way I like them and I look forward to doing lots more once the tweak-heads get some time under their belts.
4. Sound of the speaker, phone and just about everything is better than the 6700. The reception is better too with a stronger signal everywhere I go.
5. MEMORY! Wow, I've put just about everything from the 6700 and I still have 107.8 of storage and 55.5 of program. I ordered a 4g card and am still using the 512 that came with it. No problem installing some things to card.

NEUTRAL
5. Web access is quick. After a few fits and starts the TV, Music and everything seem to work. I haven't been able to access all sites. No YouTube and I haven't tried the GoLive and mapping stuff yet.
6. Bluetooth hasn't been turned on yet. Don't do the headphone and only use it for mapping occasionally with external GPS. I'll get to that when I need it.
7. Touch Keyboard - just like most have posted has its quirks. I downloaded TouchPal free from www.cootek.com and loved it and then it disappeared. After some more research I found the SIP changer and now I have it back as my default keyboard. It is very cool the way it works and I type faster than on the hard keyboard (which I rarely used) on the 6700. Still a few quirks and kinks to work out on the soft keyboard.

DISLIKES
1. That I didn't have this a year ago! I haven't really found too much that I don't like about this phone. There are some software issues noted below but I am sure those will get worked out by developers.
2. Hard buttons. I could use a few more but I'm going to try AEbuttons and see how that works for me. I don't miss them as much as I thought I would.

SOFTWARE:
1. I use lots of SPB stuff: Time, Weather, Phone Suite, Mobile Suite, Plus (I left Diary off this install and don't really need or use it), Backup (haven't tried that either yet). All seems to work fine although I dumped all the Sprint and HTC stuff on the Today screen as it was redundant and not as well laid out as Plus. There is a bug in Plus4 that makes the phone come up when you close out programs. Voice Command 1.6 works but had some early quirks. Seems more stable with a few tweaks. Just about everything else works just great. I use Pocket Informant and that seems stable as always. I'll look to install a few more things this weekend but for now it's pretty much how I use it.

I'd rate the whole phone experience about a 9/10. A few of the bugs and quirks puts the overall at 8.5 but it gets better every day as I get used to it.
Old 11-18-2007, 07:15 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: htc touch

foryasoul is a n00b
ok no dislike for no picture mail to a phone number not just email
Old 12-01-2007, 11:20 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch

MrOuija36 is a n00b
love this thing.. best part of it for me.. id say i get maybe 6 hours of battery usage w/ light phone calling heavy text and net usage.. but the best part it takes a grand total of 30-45mins TOPS to fully charge..

i woke up one morning and fell asleep with my touch next to me.. woke up it was around 10%.. put it on the charger and take a shower.. roughly 15 minutes later i come out and it is on 90%.. beautiful..
Old 12-01-2007, 02:17 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch pro

thundrbird1 is keeping up the good workthundrbird1 is keeping up the good work
Just got the replacement touch 2 days ago and I really think that this is it. From the PPC 6700 to Mogul, HTC has finally got it right in this TOUCH. Lotz more things to adjust but best phone
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue