PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2009, 09:27 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Alltel

hedggie is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Wink Download speeds

At http://www.rrv.net/speedtest/ i get upwards of 15000 kb/s down and 5000 kb/s up but tethered its between 800 to 2500 down and 200 to 500 up. Shouldn't I be able to get those speeds tethered? Or is this just because USB is slow?
EDIT: Also from mobilespeedtest.com I get about 9000 kb/s down, I'm guessing because its a server farther away from me.
All the tests are fairly consistent except when tethered.

Last edited by hedggie; 08-23-2009 at 09:34 PM. Reason: Just added some details, typing error
Old 08-23-2009, 09:36 PM
The Dyslexic VIP
Pocket PC: (3)TPs (1)TP2 (1) Optimus S (1) Dell Mini 10
Carrier: Sprint

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed
Re: Doiwnload speeds

15000 down, highest ive ever gotten is like just over 10000...

obviously your gonna have slower speeds than a wifi connection
Old 08-23-2009, 09:38 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

hedggie is a n00b

It's evdo, not wifi. Unless evdo is wifi? I think you misunderstood.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:45 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 3D

miguelfp1 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmiguelfp1 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmiguelfp1 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmiguelfp1 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via MSN to miguelfp1

by any chance, are you using Opera to test the connection on the phone? Opera caches the page, and gives an inflated result.

the most accurate way to measure is by tethering, or using Pocket IE on the phone. (EV-DO tops out at around 3000 kb/s)

If one of my posts helped you, don't forget to click !!
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:10 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

hedggie is a n00b

I'm using Skyfire for the rrv.net/speedtest and opera for the mobilespeedtest.com.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:34 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

pyro254750 knows their stuffpyro254750 knows their stuffpyro254750 knows their stuffpyro254750 knows their stuffpyro254750 knows their stuffpyro254750 knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to pyro254750 Send a message via MSN to pyro254750

sorry to be negative here, but 15000 kb/s down and 5000 kb/s up are just not possible over evdo, id be surprised if you got over 2000 kb/s down and 256 kb/s on an accurate measurement. something is skewing your results.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:35 PM
Suuuper Geeenius
Pocket PC: hTc RhodiumW (Touch Pro2)

horndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to horndoctor

You can't get accurate speed tests using skyfire.
Use IE for speed tests.
Old 08-23-2009, 11:11 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

hedggie is a n00b

alright i'll be back in a sec, i can't use the rrv.net/speedtest because that is speedtest.net mini though
Old 08-23-2009, 11:15 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

hedggie is a n00b

pocket ie i get 9042 kb/s, which isn't cached i guess so why can't i get this speed on my computer while tethered?
Old 08-24-2009, 01:39 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Evo

djlilmikeny is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedggie View Post
pocket ie i get 9042 kb/s, which isn't cached i guess so why can't i get this speed on my computer while tethered?
the speeds you are getting seems highly impossible. make sure you are absolutly diconnected from your wifi. make sure Internet Explorer (the one on your phone) uses Sprint's connection. it seems that when you tether, you get lower speeds due to the fact that you cant tether with the internet connection comming from your WiFi. When you tether, it only comes/goes through Sprint's network. the speed that you have posted when you say you tether seems about the normal Sprint speed.

This is what i would reccomend you to do:
Step 1: Shut all radios/Go into Airplane Mode (Phone, Data, Bluetooth, and WiFi) off.

Step 2: Enable only the phone radio (only the phone radio)

Step 3: Open up Internet Explorer then go to the website you check the phone speed on (i recommend mobilespeedtest.com) and run the test...

Step 4: Your speed outcome should be relatively similar to the speed you got when you were tethering (around 500kbps. no more that probly 2000kbps)

during the process, even try disconnecting the power/shut down the power of your router just to make sure you are absolutely not connected to it. make sure you are using Sprint's connection only!!

being connected to wifi is the only way i see possible for you to get such high speeds on a phone. if you have followed all the steps above and still got speeds around 10000kbps without wifi, then you have probly broken a world record for sprint or something! haha =)

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro