PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2009, 11:51 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Desire
Carrier: Nex-tech Wireless

ChaosTheory knows their stuffChaosTheory knows their stuffChaosTheory knows their stuffChaosTheory knows their stuffChaosTheory knows their stuffChaosTheory knows their stuffChaosTheory knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: <<< Stupid Noob, need guidance

If you are looking for some help on some common terms, check out my glossary If there is anything that is not defined there put a post requesting a definition and I will work on it

And all you veterans that have an extensive PPC vocabulary, get over there and add to it
Old 07-27-2009, 12:32 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: sprint
Threadstarter

canosgmk is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezn View Post
Did you read any of the stickies for the pro forums? Many of them have step by step instructions.
Yes,

Please keep in mind if someone is just learning about ROM and upgrades and such, we really have no clue how to decode "new style of kitchen" "hard-spl" and there is more, i am just trying to remember what they are.

I got this information from this kid at Waterfest 15 in NJ that has a touch pro and was tethering it. He swears about this site so I have come to see.

I will try and read the 11+ pages of jokes on the link posted here to gather all the information about unlocking and ROM installing.

In closing, there isn't a sticky for noobs that walks though what is what and why is what. Would be easier if someone like me walk in and go to "htc touch pro" (what i own) and see a stick called, "Noob 101 on upgrades and updates".

Problem with searching. if i don't know what I am searching for, i can't find my answer.

EDIT: btw... looks like i have to put my vista laptop back together so i can do this stuff. wish there was something I can do so my Apple pro can do this. With out parallel or boot camp. (yes, i will search)

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by canosgmk; 07-27-2009 at 12:45 PM.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:45 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Desire
Carrier: Nex-tech Wireless

ChaosTheory knows their stuffChaosTheory knows their stuffChaosTheory knows their stuffChaosTheory knows their stuffChaosTheory knows their stuffChaosTheory knows their stuffChaosTheory knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by canosgmk View Post
Yes,

Please keep in mind if someone is just learning about ROM and upgrades and such, we really have no clue how to decode "new style of kitchen" "hard-spl" and there is more, i am just trying to remember what they are.

I got this information from this kid at Waterfest 15 in NJ that has a touch pro and was tethering it. He swears about this site so I have come to see.

I will try and read the 11+ pages of jokes on the link posted here to gather all the information about unlocking and ROM installing.

In closing, there isn't a sticky for noobs that walks though what is what and why is what. Would be easier if someone like me walk in and go to "htc touch pro" (what i own) and see a stick called, "Noob 101 on upgrades and updates".

As far as flashing without a computer, if you can put a file on the SD card of your phone, you can flash from the SD card

Problem with searching. if i don't know what I am searching for, i can't find my answer.

Thanks for the help!
My glossary has most common terms, but a quick answer to the two you listed:

Hard-spl , a hard coded secondary program loader. A SPL is Secondary Program Loader, similar to the BIOS in a computer and capable of being flashed. Loads up the ROM and other defaults.

Kitchen is a program that is used to create ROMs, and there are 2 styles (that I am aware of) the older BuildOS style and the newer Visual Kitchen style.

My glossary coupled with the first post in the thread linked to earlier should get you going. If you have any other questions about term definitions post it in my glossary and I will try to answer it for you

A tip on searching, go to advanced search and click search thread titles. That will help narrow it down. If you don't come up with an answer that way, select the "show posts" rather than show threads, that way you see the specific post that mentions it.

As far as flashing, you can flash using only your SD card, all you do is rename the ROM to RAPHIMG and put it in the root directory of your sd card, then reset to bootloader mode. (Read more about exactly how to do that in the first post of the link posted earlier)

Last edited by ChaosTheory; 07-27-2009 at 12:55 PM.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:20 PM
brushrop03

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by canosgmk View Post
Yes,

EDIT: btw... looks like i have to put my vista laptop back together so i can do this stuff. wish there was something I can do so my Apple pro can do this. With out parallel or boot camp. (yes, i will search)

Thanks for the help!
hmm...I agree. Some of the titles in the stickies could be more noob friendly
Old 07-29-2009, 08:19 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: sprint
Threadstarter

canosgmk is a n00b

UPDATE:

I have unlocked the phone and have mighty rom 6.5 running.

Thanks for the guidance. One more noob educated!!
Old 07-29-2009, 08:28 PM
BIGGZZ - VIP -
Pocket PC: Dell Streak
Carrier: AT&T

Biggzz is halfway to VIP status based on repBiggzz is halfway to VIP status based on repBiggzz is halfway to VIP status based on repBiggzz is halfway to VIP status based on repBiggzz is halfway to VIP status based on repBiggzz is halfway to VIP status based on repBiggzz is halfway to VIP status based on repBiggzz is halfway to VIP status based on rep

there was a video tutorial that really helped me out when started learning...I was grateful for that one in the stickies.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro