PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Touch Pro vs Touch Pro 2 (seeking TP2 users input) (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=72887)

NinjaPenguin 06-26-2009 01:32 AM

Touch Pro vs Touch Pro 2 (seeking TP2 users input)

I was speaking with my sprint rep at work, and according to him the TP2 should be available early Q4 of this year. Its rumor'd so I put no faith into it. Now judging between phones, spec vs spec, the only difference is WM 6.5, TF3D2, and a bigger screen. Now, 2 of those 3 differences are easily changed with a new rom flash.

Is it really just a decision if you want the bigger screen or not? Is that worth the money you will shell out? Can someone could tell me, if they used it, what a bigger difference is? I'm just not seeing it...

wILLk0r3 818 06-26-2009 01:42 AM

Re: Touch Pro vs Touch Pro 2 (seeking TP2 users input)

This doesn't answer your question, but, I'm getting the device for the larger screen. I just wonder what the next and better device will be and when it's planning on dropping. I just don't want to take the plunge and have a nicer device come out shortly after but I guess that's how it usually goes down. =/

NinjaPenguin 06-26-2009 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wILLk0r3 818 (Post 997834)
This doesn't answer your question, but, I'm getting the device for the larger screen. I just wonder what the next and better device will be and when it's planning on dropping. I just don't want to take the plunge and have a nicer device come out shortly after but I guess that's how it usually goes down. =/

From what I have heard the Omnia Pro will tout a 1GHZ processor on it, only problem I believe its only going to be for Verizon, not sprint. A coworker has the Omnia and between the two, I like TF3D much better but his messaging system seems to be faster than pOutlook

jbearamus 06-26-2009 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NinjaPenguin (Post 997821)
I was speaking with my sprint rep at work, and according to him the TP2 should be available early Q4 of this year. Its rumor'd so I put no faith into it. Now judging between phones, spec vs spec, the only difference is WM 6.5, TF3D2, and a bigger screen. Now, 2 of those 3 differences are easily changed with a new rom flash.

Is it really just a decision if you want the bigger screen or not? Is that worth the money you will shell out? Can someone could tell me, if they used it, what a bigger difference is? I'm just not seeing it...

honestly, the hardware is pretty much the same except for the screen; ram/rom, processor, its the same. I for one would greatly appreciate the larger screen and if I can get ahold of a TP2 for a deal (my upgrade isn't for a while) i will. however, unless you plan on trying to get the touch pro right at the end of its life when the price drops like a rock then the price will probably be the same, the HTC devices have a standing history of being the same price as its predecessor so really all we're talking about is time
I'd wait until some official word starts coming from sprint then decide a couple of weeks ahead of time and researching then decide if you want to catch a touch pro for cheap before you can't get them

wILLk0r3 818 06-26-2009 01:48 AM

My contract is up in October so I'm more than likely gonna jump on one at launch.

jbearamus 06-26-2009 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NinjaPenguin (Post 997841)
From what I have heard the Omnia Pro will tout a 1GHZ processor on it, only problem I believe its only going to be for Verizon, not sprint. A coworker has the Omnia and between the two, I like TF3D much better but his messaging system seems to be faster than pOutlook

i don't think anyone really knows if new omnia will land on sprint(precedent probably says, sprint hasn't had a full fledged samsung smart device in 3 or 4 years), but its probably running qualcomm's new snapdragon and as Willkor3 mentioned, there will be something new in the pipe from HTC be it snapdragon or Tegra something will come, just unfortunately it won't be the TP2 as far as we know, thats going to be another "how long are you willing to wait?"

jbearamus 06-26-2009 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wILLk0r3 818 (Post 997850)
My contract is up in October so I'm more than likely gonna jump on one at launch.

i probably would but my full upgrade isn't until 1/1/10 so i think i'll wait to see if sprint's roadmap leaks again and hopefully something with Tegra will drop Q1/2 of 2010

NinjaPenguin 06-26-2009 02:17 AM

In all honesty it just seems like we are getting the Touch HD in the states now with the new OS and TF3D2. I would like the larger screen, i sometimes get jealous of my room mates iPhone but then quickly realize he hates it and our screen res is MUCH nicer.

Thanks for all the feedback guys, much apreciated. I know my contract isn't up for another year and a half so I may have to pay full price for the bigger screen. I just can't seem to wrap my head around the idea.

ruskiyab 06-26-2009 02:59 AM

1. The TP2 will not have WM 6.5
2. Where are you trying to find TP2 users for input?

jbearamus 06-26-2009 03:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruskiyab (Post 997913)
1. The TP2 will not have WM 6.5
2. Where are you trying to find TP2 users for input?

1. HTC has mentioned the TP2 and Diamond2 will be upgraded to 6.5 if it isn't already there at the time of launch
2. The TP2 is available in europe and yes we have had european users on the forum before so maybe Penguin was hoping to get lucky and be able to talk to someone that has it
Just a guess anyway

jbearamus 06-26-2009 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NinjaPenguin (Post 997877)
In all honesty it just seems like we are getting the Touch HD in the states now with the new OS and TF3D2. I would like the larger screen, i sometimes get jealous of my room mates iPhone but then quickly realize he hates it and our screen res is MUCH nicer.

Thanks for all the feedback guys, much apreciated. I know my contract isn't up for another year and a half so I may have to pay full price for the bigger screen. I just can't seem to wrap my head around the idea.

I don't think we'd be getting the HD since that would be considered a generation old now, but yeah the TP2 is a lot like it, but with a keyboard :mrgreen:
And don't you just love our resolution, it blows people away when I show them the display on my TP and sure the iPhone can draw more colors, but we have more pixels :mrgreen:
and yeah, full price for a screen is rediculous so i'm waiting for whatever comes after the TP2 since Tegra should be in full swing by then and in the meantime, maybe insurance (if you have it) will be kind enough to oblige you with a TP2, one can dream anyway

bmb2n 06-26-2009 03:17 AM

A lost of D-Pad might make precise input a bit more difficult on the TP2. Spending $300 for a larger screen might not be a logical move for the current TP users unless we can sell our TP for a decent price and obsorb the different.

mrtomaso 06-26-2009 06:20 AM

we mustn't forget that most games are vga. the new resolution is certianly going to be a problem for those of us that liie to game once in a while.

boredandtattooed 06-26-2009 09:17 AM

ummm, some said TP2 is in Europe??? where, goto HTC europe, u cant buy one... if ya could we'd have ATT users buying it and running it here, wouldnt we?

jbearamus 06-26-2009 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boredandtattooed (Post 998142)
ummm, some said TP2 is in Europe??? where, goto HTC europe, u cant buy one... if ya could we'd have ATT users buying it and running it here, wouldnt we?

here ya go, why not order one and let us know how it works out

http://www.expansys.com/d.aspx?i=179097

thedudelasse 06-26-2009 10:02 AM

Check out my indepth review... There are alot of comparisons to my old Touch Pro:

Part1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgTjS...e=channel_page
Part2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uONMu...e=channel_page

ps. Clove.co.uk ships overseas

TheRealHotshot 06-26-2009 11:41 AM

I'm getting tp2 for bigger screen,better tf3d and keyboard this phone might be the one that makes me put down my sklx cause typing on the sk is the BEST

slvrap1 06-26-2009 12:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by boredandtattooed (Post 998142)

The tp2 has been on the htc site for months in the europe section

amw1972 06-26-2009 12:25 PM

I had the same questions as the original poster, even with a full upgrade rebate...I don't see the justification for the possible $300-$400 price tag. The screen is nice and so is the tilt screen...been jealous of the AT&T tilt when I had a Mogul.

Honestly though...if I'm gonna spend my money like that again...I'd take an Android device (hero?) Or maybe a second gen Touch HD (if it comes to sprint.)

shellguy 06-26-2009 01:58 PM

One major difference is also the Lack of a flash from what I have seen on the TP2 compared to the TP1, and the Speaker Phone is supposed to be much better on the TP2 as well.

Will

NinjaPenguin 06-26-2009 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbearamus (Post 997920)
1. HTC has mentioned the TP2 and Diamond2 will be upgraded to 6.5 if it isn't already there at the time of launch
2. The TP2 is available in europe and yes we have had european users on the forum before so maybe Penguin was hoping to get lucky and be able to talk to someone that has it
Just a guess anyway

Exactly. I have a friend who is in Europe for another month on business who was able to play around with one of them. According to the reps over there they should be at Winmo6.5 soon.

Also, @Thedudelasse. Thanks for the videos, I'll check them out when I'm home later. I'm at work and can't view them : /

MultiMatt 06-26-2009 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmb2n (Post 997922)
A lost of D-Pad might make precise input a bit more difficult on the TP2.

I hopped on this forum to post a question of that very subject, and saw that you guys were already discussing it here.

For the price of a larger, tilting screen, an updated TouchFLO 3D and better speakerphone capability, we lose the following:
  • LED light for camera (in lieu of a mute button)
  • Tab and Ctrl hardware keys (on the Sprint version anyway)
  • The Directional Pad.
It's the latter that I am the most concerned about. I use my device one-handed a LOT, and the directional pad accomplishes so much in that task. For example:
  • I scroll through emails and Reply/Delete/Move them via the directional pad.
  • In an email, I use the directional pad to jump from one link to another
  • Same thing for navigating through links in any of the various browsers I use
  • Speaking of browsers, there are times where I might need to move the cursor in a URL in the address bar, and once again, I use the directional pad to do that. BTW, the only keyboard that has arrows to allow you to do that same thing is the default Windows keyboard - I checked all the others...
  • I use the directional pad to navigate around in the Calendar (either viewing or editing an appointment)
  • Same thing with a contact, particularly when creating a new one, or editing.
  • And the list goes on...
How does one accomplish so many of these things sans a directional pad? And in those cases where I would use the hardware keyboard, (the Sprint version) has lost it's Tab key, so I guess it's back to tapping the screen to move to the next field...

In a way, I'm glad there's a delay in the Sprint version coming out, because I really need to give serious consideration to the comprimises the TP2 would require of my usage habits. The $60,000 question is whether I would really be gaining anything (given what I would lose)...

Eager to hear your thoughts on this...

Matt
Windows Mobile Louisville

MadlyAlive 06-26-2009 02:44 PM

I will be jumping to a TP2 as my g/f hates her Treo 800w and wants my TP.

ronaldheld 06-26-2009 02:52 PM

I do not use the direction pad anymore, although I did in the begiining.

PdaAddict 06-26-2009 02:53 PM

3.6 WVGA is very tempting but since it is an HTC phone I will pass. I have had enough problems with my TP to ever trust HTC again. Samsung only please.

PolloLoco 06-26-2009 03:00 PM

It might not matter to you, but the Pro 2 does NOT have improved video drivers. I had a chat with a "friend" on a gaming forum - who thought the Pro 2 was great for emulators. But after running some benchmarks, we found out that the results were pretty similar.

In fact, after doing a head to head benchmark using TCPMP - my Touch Pro was a bit faster. Which I attribute to the extra pixels that have to be pushed on the Pro 2.

In otherwords, expect some compatibility issues from the new screen - and no speed improvements. To me, it's not really an upgrade.

NinjaPenguin 06-26-2009 03:15 PM

I don't use the DPad much anymore either. I can't see the "upgrade" cost at $600 justified when we are getting what we already have, just with the bigger resolution screen. Thanks for all the input though, it really shed some light. I might have to hold out and wait for the Tegra it sounds.

MultiMatt 06-26-2009 03:24 PM

So I'm curious (from a usability standpoint) of how you do some of the things I mentioned, without using the D-pad, particularly one-handed. Are you that accurate with your thumb?

jbearamus 06-26-2009 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MultiMatt (Post 998880)
So I'm curious (from a usability standpoint) of how you do some of the things I mentioned, without using the D-pad, particularly one-handed. Are you that accurate with your thumb?

actually yes, 6 years of practice (for me anyway) with Pocket PC Pro 2003 and WinMo 5/6/6.5 i've figured out land on the screen just the right way to get what i want, inside of some programs i use the stylus or d-pad but 99% of the time, it's all thumb

bmb2n 06-26-2009 04:41 PM

With enough practice and patience, we can learn to live without D-Pad like iPhone users. Or else, grow our nails longer and trim them like a stylus.

mikenerd 06-26-2009 05:21 PM

I want to know about the camera.....I hate the shutter speed/auto-focus on our TP. SOOOOOOOOOOOOO slow. my wifes iphone 3gs with autofocus is fast and totally usable. I hope the tp2 camera software is better. Anyone know about that?

NinjaPenguin 06-27-2009 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thedudelasse (Post 998191)
Check out my indepth review... There are alot of comparisons to my old Touch Pro:

Part1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgTjS...e=channel_page
Part2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uONMu...e=channel_page

ps. Clove.co.uk ships overseas

Great videos. Thumbs up. I love the humor involved as well!

mjcole2003 06-27-2009 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NinjaPenguin (Post 997821)

for myself when i saw the screen size of the touch pro compared to my mogul i was like "hell no" I knew one would come out sooner than later with a larger screen so i am definately glad i waited. Going from the mogul to the touch pro 2 is going to be incredible.

JickBahTech 06-27-2009 02:32 AM

If we could get capacitive screens I'd jump in a heartbeat.

When I'm good to upgrade I hope Sprint has the Hero (or I'll go Pre).

Edwood 06-27-2009 05:17 AM

I have a feeling the CDMA TP2 will have all the problems of the TP, namely poor battery life, pocket dialing/activating constantly, overheating, unable to charge while tethering, etc.

I'll pass on the TP2 until the TP is patched with a firmware update that fixes all the issues from day one. If I wanted to buy a new phone to fix the problems with the old one, I'd have an iPhone.

Exil3d 06-27-2009 08:33 AM

soul reason why I refuse to pay 1 more dime. 72xx cpu is a joke and neither sprint nor htc want to pay extra money to get 3d drivers from qualcomn. One HTC moves away from that cpu, then I will upgrade. The Pro2 will coat almost 600 dollars. So it about 1 more inch of acreen worth 600 dollars? Not to me.

zepsamsung 06-27-2009 12:16 PM

Does not matter to me about the TP2, the TP will also get the wm6.5 update by Sprint and plus there is already some nice cooked roms with wm6.5 out there. The new TP2 features a better speakerphone which requires you to put it face down and it has a bigger screen and spaced keyboard. It lacks a dpad, flash, voice command, a magnetic stylus, and according to folks in Europe who own the new TP2, the battery life sucks and the cpu is an older 2007 design. msm7600 vs msm7501a cdma.

zepsamsung 06-27-2009 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikenerd (Post 999211)
I want to know about the camera.....I hate the shutter speed/auto-focus on our TP. SOOOOOOOOOOOOO slow. my wifes iphone 3gs with autofocus is fast and totally usable. I hope the tp2 camera software is better. Anyone know about that?

THere is a tweak on is you geeked, that fixes that problem. My camera is great and it does not go slow. I can take pic after pic fast. Just google camera tweaks for the touch pro.

skfny 06-27-2009 12:37 PM

TP2 has:
CDMA/GSM ++
Larger Screen ++
Spekerphone w/ mute button +
Stereo speakers, mics +
Tilt +
Zoom bar +
Better defined app buttons so you don't accidentally hit right when trying to press back+
Bigger battery +
Larger Size -
No Flash --
No D-Pad--
Wait for custom ROM --
Higher Cost --

I think I'll probably get one and if I can live with no D-Pad, I'll keep it.

jbearamus 06-27-2009 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exil3d (Post 1000540)
soul reason why I refuse to pay 1 more dime. 72xx cpu is a joke and neither sprint nor htc want to pay extra money to get 3d drivers from qualcomn. One HTC moves away from that cpu, then I will upgrade. The Pro2 will coat almost 600 dollars. So it about 1 more inch of acreen worth 600 dollars? Not to me.

that is a great point, may was well wait for snapdragon or tegra, HTC is bound to start using them eventually, hopefully tegra then HTC can tell qualcomm to stick it and we won't have to worry about them being too cheap to buy drivers